LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 269 users in the forums

could our next game against the packers be alex smith coming out party?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I know we're stuck with Alex Smith the rest of this year so, I hope he somehow has the light switch turn on in his head, But I highly doubt that he will just suddenly become good Qb.
I'm just ready to move on from this fiasco. It's been five years and I'm ready to give another HOPEFUL player a shot. Not a Jt O'sullivan or 30 yr old Hill. I'm ready for us to draft a STUD QB and hope he doesn't turn out like Alex, or trade for a legit QB in this league...I'm sooooooooooo tired of waiting...

[ Edited by Dajanksta on Nov 13, 2009 at 21:21:49 ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dajanksta:
I know we're stuck with Alex Smith the rest of this year so, I hope he somehow has the light switch turn on in his head, But I highly doubt that he will just suddenly become good Qb.
I'm just ready to move on from this fiasco. It's been five years and I'm ready to give another HOPEFUL player a shot. Not a Jt O'sullivan or 30 yr old Hill. I'm ready for us to draft a STUD QB and hope he doesn't turn out like Alex, or trade for a legit QB in this league...I'm sooooooooooo tired of waiting...

Hate to break it to you, but there's no such thing as a stud QB when all he has is 2 seconds to throw the ball. Anyone we draft is going to end up like Alex Smith.
Very few developing QB's just go from bad to good like a switch was turning on. It's a slow growth process with 2 steps forward and often 2 steps back before another step forward. Some don't progress at all. I'd say Alex is getting better but still is a long way from great because he was so bad to begin with. He certainly doesn't need to be traded to start all over again in a whole new environment. He has seen way too much change already. We should be patient with him for the rest of the year. Picking a new QB in the draft is a crap shoot. There is no correlation with QB success and where they were selected in the draft, unlike with other positions. And if we do draft someone, I hope it won't be Tebow.
Anything's possible...but, a more likely outcome is Rodgers and his downfield receivers wreak havoc on us. Our best defense against him is to get as many sacks as possible to slow down their offensive machine. I really don't think Alex would be able to match him throw for throw, TD for TD. I hope he can...I just don't see it happening. I hate to be negative, but unless the OL can protect him better and Raye takes the shackles off, it could be a long afternoon in Green Bay.
Originally posted by B650:

Hate to break it to you, but there's no such thing as a stud QB when all he has is 2 seconds to throw the ball. Anyone we draft is going to end up like Alex Smith.

Yes, the O-line is not good. But I think this becomes a crutch in the overall discussion sometimes. There are opportunities during the games this season thus far for both Smith & Hill that they have not capatilized on. A better QB would make more plays for this team with the exact same roster & game plan. Smith has the rest of the season to prove something, and I am hoping he plays great. But as a fan, I want someone else if it looks about the same with him by the last game this season. You can;t keep fans & the rest of the team on ice indefinately for years to develop one single player
this thread.

That's a good one!!!
alex leaf is never going to be a probowl quarterback and that the cold truth. People need to wake up and smell the cofee.

thank god we have two first round picks next year
sure, maybe, possibly?
The problem with Smith is that everyone is judging him based on his past.
the guy went through 5 oc's 2 shoulder injuries that were mishandled by idiot nolan

he's healthy and learning a new system-AGAIN
he finally has playmakers at WR but he has to get used to them-AGAIN
his offensive line completely sucks-AGAIN
the good OL on the team are mostly injured-AGAIN
and this time the offense is changing it's identity under him from a power running team to a more spread out team.
the point is he needs to be given a fair chance for once. give him the season maybe even next I think with the playmakers we have in Davis/Gore/Crabtree Smith can get it done. he needs an offensive line and some consistency in the system badly.

Originally posted by B650:

Well he can also stop playing like crap. I don't care what excuses there are after 5 yrs of sucking he should be able to atleast stop throwing more pics than interceptions. I'd like to stop seeing him leaving points on the field. a STUD qb would be playing better than he is right now.
Originally posted by matt49er:
the guy went through 5 oc's 2 shoulder injuries that were mishandled by idiot nolan

and this time the offense is changing it's identity under him from a power running team to a more spread out team.
the point is he needs to be given a fair chance for once. give him the season maybe even next I think with the playmakers we have in Davis/Gore/Crabtree Smith can get it done. he needs an offensive line and some consistency in the system badly.

that doesn't matter anymore man it gets to a point where you have to move on. We can't just keep beating the dead horse ya know? eventually we will have to say sorry smith. how many yrs do you want to give this man?

Smith Apologist ALERT!!! Smith Apologist ALERT!!! Smith Apologist ALERT!!!

Man -- this one is GOOD. It should be cut out and FRAMED. I mean, it's really good. Basing Alex's poor play on the line, the wide receivers, his unfamiliarity with something called a FOOTBALL, this is one truly AWESOME Alex Smith apologist response.

That's right! Give Alex until next year! Better yet! Give him the year after next year! Or hey! Here's an orginal thought! Let's give him three years! Four years!!! Let's bring the best line talent in the league from the past FIFTY YEARS and let them block for Alex! And -- while you're at it -- let's give poor old Alex FIVE MORE YEARS!!!

He's got so much potential! He's just waiting to blossom! It doesn't matter if he's SUCKED NADS for his first five years of the league! It doesn't matter. Poor Alex just needs an apologist frame of mind -- and a pre-pop warner team to compete against!

I can see it now. Championship!!!
Originally posted by billbird2111:

Man -- this one is GOOD. It should be cut out and FRAMED. I mean, it's really good. Basing Alex's poor play on the line, the wide receivers, his unfamiliarity with something called a FOOTBALL, this is one truly AWESOME Alex Smith apologist response.

That's right! Give Alex until next year! Better yet! Give him the year after next year! Or hey! Here's an orginal thought! Let's give him three years! Four years!!! Let's bring the best line talent in the league from the past FIFTY YEARS and let them block for Alex! And -- while you're at it -- let's give poor old Alex FIVE MORE YEARS!!!

He's got so much potential! He's just waiting to blossom! It doesn't matter if he's SUCKED NADS for his first five years of the league! It doesn't matter. Poor Alex just needs an apologist frame of mind -- and a pre-pop warner team to compete against!

I didn't know Alex started 80 games. Dang where have I been.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by billbird2111:

Did Alex bang your GF?
Share 49ersWebzone