There are 231 users in the forums

We are a good team with a bad QB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
It's time we realize that Smith is simply not the answer. I think Shaun Hill is a great QB, but ultimately a great backup and not a sufficient starter. We need a QB because this is a QB league. What scares me is that we waste the years we have on the D on this bad QB and not allow ourselves to become a good team because of that. Bears and Ravens are teams that come to mind. Teams that couldn't get to the next level because of a lack at QB. The Texans were in a similar spot. When a good QB comes to a team the whole dynamic changes. Some QBs can function in systems, but unfortunately we don't have McDaniels to create a QB friendly system for us, and will need someone who has legitimate NFL talent. Smith is not clutch, he can't pick defenses apart, he's not a great leader and his athletic ability, while good, is nothing to write home about. Most of all, his accuracy is lacking. Here are some options

FA:
Just like the Saints did with Brees. Is there a good FA QB on the market? No way, there never is anymore.

Trade:
The one name that comes to mind is Kevin Kolb. I think he's a good QB, whose learned from one of the better QB experts in the game. He may be in a similar position that Shaub or Cassle were in.

Draft:
This seems like the obvious choice. Claussen, Tebow, Locker, Bradford, Snead, Pike, McCoy. One of these guys will be good. Not all, but at least one. Lets identify him and use our 2 first round picks wisely

Any other suggestions? We already have a QB on the roster? Blockbuster trade of all our picks for a starter? Hope Hassleback gets cut, etc. etc.??? (BTW, I just brought up these last 3 as alternatives, but clearly think all are terrible options).

U R Wrong sir,....we R a good team that STILL MAKING MISTAKES. To lay blame on just one player (the QB) is just wrong.
We have some good players at the skill positions but we are not a good team at this point.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Nes49:
It's time we realize that Smith is simply not the answer. I think Shaun Hill is a great QB, but ultimately a great backup and not a sufficient starter. We need a QB because this is a QB league. What scares me is that we waste the years we have on the D on this bad QB and not allow ourselves to become a good team because of that. Bears and Ravens are teams that come to mind. Teams that couldn't get to the next level because of a lack at QB. The Texans were in a similar spot. When a good QB comes to a team the whole dynamic changes. Some QBs can function in systems, but unfortunately we don't have McDaniels to create a QB friendly system for us, and will need someone who has legitimate NFL talent. Smith is not clutch, he can't pick defenses apart, he's not a great leader and his athletic ability, while good, is nothing to write home about. Most of all, his accuracy is lacking. Here are some options

FA:
Just like the Saints did with Brees. Is there a good FA QB on the market? No way, there never is anymore.

Trade:
The one name that comes to mind is Kevin Kolb. I think he's a good QB, whose learned from one of the better QB experts in the game. He may be in a similar position that Shaub or Cassle were in.

Draft:
This seems like the obvious choice. Claussen, Tebow, Locker, Bradford, Snead, Pike, McCoy. One of these guys will be good. Not all, but at least one. Lets identify him and use our 2 first round picks wisely

Any other suggestions? We already have a QB on the roster? Blockbuster trade of all our picks for a starter? Hope Hassleback gets cut, etc. etc.??? (BTW, I just brought up these last 3 as alternatives, but clearly think all are terrible options).

U R Wrong sir,....we R a good team that STILL MAKING MISTAKES. To lay blame on just one player (the QB) is just wrong.

Good teams don't get owned by 1-5 teams...
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jcs:

FA:

Trade:

Draft:

Good teams don't get owned by 1-5 teams...

We didn't get owned....they capitalized on MISTAKES WE SHOULDN'T BE MAKING. The 49ers have GOT TO LEARN FROM THIS.
Originally posted by xx49erfanxx:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Our offenseiv line sux and our pass defense is atrocious.

Do you read before posting? You should. The line gave Alex ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD yesterday.

Oh -- there's no way that Philly is trading Kolb. If Reid was smart -- he'd bench McNabb and insert Kolb. That kid is the real deal.

Do you post before watching the game ? The OL sucked .

I watched the Game, the OL did not suck. There was pressure, but it came mostly from blitzes.
Plus Alex was making them look bad when he moves himself into position to get sacked.

STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR SMITH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GET HIM THE FU-- OFF THE TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If we get to a point where we are clearly not making the playoffs me MUST put Davis in and try and accelerate the development/evaluation process. Hopefully we will be able to make a determination as to the importance of drafting a QB with a high pick based on how he looks as a starter. If we as a team hang in there, however, this is a moot point and we will need to draft a QB IMO. Kolb seems to be a popular pick on here, but he has looked good in only one game that i have seen him play--hardly the basis for trading a first for his rights.

As has already been pointed out in this post as well, we have other huge problems on the OL and with our pass rush that require attention. So, while I had fantasized that we would be close to turning the corner as a team this year and would be able to pick up just a couple players to get over the hump it appears I am wrong. The truth is we could use a half dozen first round picks and that unless a pro bowl QB falls into our laps in FA, Davis develops into one in 12 months and/or our defense turns into the '95 Bears we are stuck with yet another rough season next year.....
We're a suspect team, enduring the mistakes of a qb that hadn't play in two years and needed time to improved.
How do bad teams get good quickly??? It's the QB play. Minnesota, New Orleans, Atlanta, Cincinnati. Good QB play makes the difference, and often quickly.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
You said it. This is a QB driven league. Sure an Oline is important, but good QBs play well with mediocre offensive linemen. The line was not THAT bad today. They weren't great either, but a bunch of those poorly throw passes and interceptions by Alex Smith was because of his slow recognition of the play and slow release of the ball.

At the 3 minute mark, we were only down by one touchdown. Good quarterbacks at least give their team a chance to go down the field and tie the game up, possibly winning it.

Alex Smith goes out there ON THE FIRST PLAY with decent pass protection and throws an interception into tight coverage.

Alex Needs to GO. He is a BUST. He was the number one overall selection in the draft. If you're number one overall, you are supposed to be pretty good. Alex Smith is worse than pretty bad. He's horrible.

Here's the issue to me. Whoever we bring in be it draft or FA will need to learn the offense. I don't see any FA QBs that would be available that are frankly, worth a s**t. So if that is the case you need to draft one and groom them. I don't see anyone in the draft that is ready do to anything better than Smith or Hill right now.
Maybe McCloughan pulls a trade in the offseason. What about Anderson or Quinn from Cleveland?

Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
Maybe McCloughan pulls a trade in the offseason. What about Anderson or Quinn from Cleveland?

Those guys are busts too. I'd rather go with Shaun Hill and keep our draft picks.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:

Those guys are busts too. I'd rather go with Shaun Hill and keep our draft picks.

I rather fix the O-Line first.
LMAO at this thread!

Classic circular argument. Good team's, by definition don't make mistakes (or at least make less than the opposition.)

Bad teams, conversely, make mistakes all the time.

The difference between winning and losing in the NFL is small, and often comes down to not making mistakes.

Bad team = makes mistakes = lose more than win = bad team.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Xestenz:

Classic circular argument. Good team's, by definition don't make mistakes (or at least make less than the opposition.)

Bad teams, conversely, make mistakes all the time.

The difference between winning and losing in the NFL is small, and often comes down to not making mistakes.

Bad team = makes mistakes = lose more than win = bad team.

Well...this team CAN be a good team....
Share 49ersWebzone