LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

We are a good team with a bad QB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think that we are an average team with a below average quarterback.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
We are NOT - NOT a good team.

When you're rotating 4 players in 2 positions (ROG, ROT), YOUR NOT A GOOD TEAM.

END OF STORY.

mmhmm
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Was it well when Snydey gave an end a free run at SMith which resulted in a fumble? Was it well when Smith was wrapped up at the same time that he got the ball from the center?

All QBs have bad games, you dont' bench them for it....we'll never be good again if you do that.

Except he's had more bad games than good...Something you can't say about hill and his winning career record. (10-5 if you're keeping track)
i agree we need more consistent QB play and we will really start winning some games. But alot of the blame in terms of the overall offenses play and the turnovers Sunday were on the OL.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
It's time we realize that Smith is simply not the answer. I think Shaun Hill is a great QB, but ultimately a great backup and not a sufficient starter. We need a QB because this is a QB league. What scares me is that we waste the years we have on the D on this bad QB and not allow ourselves to become a good team because of that. Bears and Ravens are teams that come to mind. Teams that couldn't get to the next level because of a lack at QB. The Texans were in a similar spot. When a good QB comes to a team the whole dynamic changes. Some QBs can function in systems, but unfortunately we don't have McDaniels to create a QB friendly system for us, and will need someone who has legitimate NFL talent. Smith is not clutch, he can't pick defenses apart, he's not a great leader and his athletic ability, while good, is nothing to write home about. Most of all, his accuracy is lacking. Here are some options

FA:
Just like the Saints did with Brees. Is there a good FA QB on the market? No way, there never is anymore.

Trade:
The one name that comes to mind is Kevin Kolb. I think he's a good QB, whose learned from one of the better QB experts in the game. He may be in a similar position that Shaub or Cassle were in.

Draft:
This seems like the obvious choice. Claussen, Tebow, Locker, Bradford, Snead, Pike, McCoy. One of these guys will be good. Not all, but at least one. Lets identify him and use our 2 first round picks wisely

Any other suggestions? We already have a QB on the roster? Blockbuster trade of all our picks for a starter? Hope Hassleback gets cut, etc. etc.??? (BTW, I just brought up these last 3 as alternatives, but clearly think all are terrible options).

(Bold) Can anyone sound more dumber?! Is there such a thing as a great QB that will never be good enough to start? Makes no damn sense!!!

Oh yeah...Hill is not great. None of our QBs are, but Ill take Davis or Smith over Hill for the simple fact that they can throw the ball, which is a "QB's" main job!

So according to you....if we change QBs everthing will be fixed?

Just another person pointing the finger at Alex. Such an easy shot...but this OL is HORRENDOUS. YOU CAN PUT JESUS CHRIST BACK THERE AND HE WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO WORK A MIRACLE!!!! And with so many 3 and outs, its wearing out our D. And to add to it...all the injuries. And then there is some questionable calls at OC. Some personnel moves that are head scratchers....ETC....ETC.

Sorry guy....but there is much more problems than just changing the QB.
It's time we realize that Smith is simply not the answer. I think Shaun Hill is a great QB, but ultimately a great backup and not a sufficient starter. We need a QB because this is a QB league. What scares me is that we waste the years we have on the D on this bad QB and not allow ourselves to become a good team because of that. Bears and Ravens are teams that come to mind. Teams that couldn't get to the next level because of a lack at QB. The Texans were in a similar spot. When a good QB comes to a team the whole dynamic changes. Some QBs can function in systems, but unfortunately we don't have McDaniels to create a QB friendly system for us, and will need someone who has legitimate NFL talent. Smith is not clutch, he can't pick defenses apart, he's not a great leader and his athletic ability, while good, is nothing to write home about. Most of all, his accuracy is lacking. Here are some options

FA:
Just like the Saints did with Brees. Is there a good FA QB on the market? No way, there never is anymore.

Trade:
The one name that comes to mind is Kevin Kolb. I think he's a good QB, whose learned from one of the better QB experts in the game. He may be in a similar position that Shaub or Cassle were in.

Draft:
This seems like the obvious choice. Claussen, Tebow, Locker, Bradford, Snead, Pike, McCoy. One of these guys will be good. Not all, but at least one. Lets identify him and use our 2 first round picks wisely

Any other suggestions? We already have a QB on the roster? Blockbuster trade of all our picks for a starter? Hope Hassleback gets cut, etc. etc.??? (BTW, I just brought up these last 3 as alternatives, but clearly think all are terrible options).

Our D has been anything but spectacular in the past 4 games. Our offensive line has to be fixed or you are just wasting time no matter what QB you put back there. Do you not understand football?
Originally posted by KknighthawkK_9er:
I think that we are an average team with a below average quarterback.

this
Was it well when Snydey gave an end a free run at SMith which resulted in a fumble? Was it well when Smith was wrapped up at the same time that he got the ball from the center?

All QBs have bad games, you dont' bench them for it....we'll never be good again if you do that.

some of these guys just do not get it, the generation of instant gratification just doesn't get that it takes time to build a team. The single biggest problem with this team is the offensive line...period.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

some of these guys just do not get it, the generation of instant gratification just doesn't get that it takes time to build a team. The single biggest problem with this team is the offensive line...period.

Instant gratification? Nah, the 49ers have sucked for most of this decade now. I'm not saying bench Smith or anything, because they don't have alternatives right now. But if this team looks about the same at the end of the year, and they do not make aggressive moves in looking for a better starting QB during the offseason, then I am afraid to say they are probably a lost cause under the current ownership. That would be an odd case of denial to yet again pretend like you can win in this league without a stud QB.

FA:

Trade:

Draft:

Draft Tebow ????? I'm so glad your not the 49ers GM !

• Dino
  • Veteran
We're a good team with a Bad QB, horrible offensive line, no pass rush, and no play making safety....
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
we are a good team with a bad offensive line

Can't blame this game on the o-line. They weren't horrendous. they gave hime time he just takes a while lol. THis is a lack of a good qb loss. Smith didn't even give Crabrtee the time of day this afternoon, wtf!!

From MM Twitter:

Quote:
Don't blame 49ers O-line for Sunday's loss. Protection held up well despite array of Titans' blitzes and 51 quarterback dropbacks.

Oline wasn't as bad as it has been. Still Smith wasn't getting the normal 3 seconds needed to pass.
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Our offenseiv line sux and our pass defense is atrocious.

don't forget about our kick and punt returners...they suck too. We need a playmaker at this position badly.
Originally posted by SWKING:
I was at the game, watched every play. Smith was under pressure most of the game. The O-line was weak and ineffective as a group. They allowed defenders in unabated and didn't do their job effectively. Why doesn't anyone notice the sweet passes Alex Smith makes? Like the one to V. Davis etc. He can make throws that Hill only dreams of making. FIX that lousy O-line and Smith's play will improve immensely, Gore's numbers will improve and the defensive numbers will improve.

Young had ALL day to throw the ball and the difference in protection that the Titan's line gave him compared to Alex Smith's time was very obvious. Smith has little or no time to read the defense and Young was quite comfortable and it showed on both sides.

Bottom line for me is the O-line is by far our biggest issue and it effects all other aspects of the team.

Give Smith some time in the pocket and some games before we just freak out again. We've got to have some continuity!

Young made several plays where he had to avoid pressure.

And Smith had a nice pocket most of the time. This is the NFL, you don't get perfect pockets on every play. Not a single quarterback in the league get this.

Smith had more than enough time to scan the field, but instead of scanning the field, he locks his head on one receiver. He is obviously still not completely comfortable.

And Hill has nothing to do with Alex Smith. Smith is certainly the type of player we need, but the questions is, "Is he good enough"? He has had three opportunities to win games, and has made mistakes each time.

I'm not throwing Smith into the garbage bin, but he had everything he needed last Sunday, but simply couldn't get it done.
Originally posted by Dino:
We're a good team with a Bad QB, horrible offensive line, no pass rush, and no play making safety....

With all that you say is wrong , were are we a good team ? That may be the worst post yet .

[ Edited by xx49erfanxx on Nov 9, 2009 at 14:26:23 ]
Share 49ersWebzone