LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 268 users in the forums

We are a good team with a bad QB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We are a bad team with a bad coach, bad FO, bad Q, bad everything short of Willis and Gore
And enough with the Alex bashing threads
How can the Niners be a good team when there are so many glaring holes and weaknesses. I think I would classify the team as a mediocre middle of the pack team that will not get to the "good" level until it can protect its QB, put pressure on the other teams QB, and get another playmaker in the secondary.

We are not a good team at all and the blame is not squarely on the QB that is for sure!
  • SWKING
  • Info N/A
I was at the game, watched every play. Smith was under pressure most of the game. The O-line was weak and ineffective as a group. They allowed defenders in unabated and didn't do their job effectively. Why doesn't anyone notice the sweet passes Alex Smith makes? Like the one to V. Davis etc. He can make throws that Hill only dreams of making. FIX that lousy O-line and Smith's play will improve immensely, Gore's numbers will improve and the defensive numbers will improve.

Young had ALL day to throw the ball and the difference in protection that the Titan's line gave him compared to Alex Smith's time was very obvious. Smith has little or no time to read the defense and Young was quite comfortable and it showed on both sides.

Bottom line for me is the O-line is by far our biggest issue and it effects all other aspects of the team.

Give Smith some time in the pocket and some games before we just freak out again. We've got to have some continuity!
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
we are a good team with a bad offensive line

Can't blame this game on the o-line. They weren't horrendous. they gave hime time he just takes a while lol. THis is a lack of a good qb loss. Smith didn't even give Crabrtee the time of day this afternoon, wtf!!

From MM Twitter:

Quote:
Don't blame 49ers O-line for Sunday's loss. Protection held up well despite array of Titans' blitzes and 51 quarterback dropbacks.

I thought so too. For the amount of times Alex dropped back I think the O-line did their job on Sunday. They formed nice pockets for Alex to throw. I will say this, Alex did step up into the pocket more and use his lineman better than in the past but...

I know there is rust. It is just that he shouldn't really be that rusty. He practices often. I know game speed is different but he should know that, he has experienced it. I don't know what else to say. I want the best for the team, not for any specific player.
Originally posted by SWKING:
I was at the game, watched every play. Smith was under pressure most of the game. The O-line was weak and ineffective as a group. They allowed defenders in unabated and didn't do their job effectively. Why doesn't anyone notice the sweet passes Alex Smith makes? Like the one to V. Davis etc. He can make throws that Hill only dreams of making. FIX that lousy O-line and Smith's play will improve immensely, Gore's numbers will improve and the defensive numbers will improve.

Young had ALL day to throw the ball and the difference in protection that the Titan's line gave him compared to Alex Smith's time was very obvious. Smith has little or no time to read the defense and Young was quite comfortable and it showed on both sides.

Bottom line for me is the O-line is by far our biggest issue and it effects all other aspects of the team.

Give Smith some time in the pocket and some games before we just freak out again. We've got to have some continuity!

I think there are times where Smith does have the time to throw the ball. I think the problem maybe, that he has time to go to the first option but don't have enough time to go to the second or third if it's not there. Consequently, he may be forcing the issue and try to make something out of nothing on the first option and got himself and the team in trouble. We always marveled at how Montana check down to the right guys, but he either had good protection or make the read quickly enough to give himself time for some check downs. I don't think Smith's read ability is there just yet to do that.
We are a good team with TWO bad QBs!
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by bigmike55:
You said it. This is a QB driven league. Sure an Oline is important, but good QBs play well with mediocre offensive linemen. The line was not THAT bad today. They weren't great either, but a bunch of those poorly throw passes and interceptions by Alex Smith was because of his slow recognition of the play and slow release of the ball.

At the 3 minute mark, we were only down by one touchdown. Good quarterbacks at least give their team a chance to go down the field and tie the game up, possibly winning it.

Alex Smith goes out there ON THE FIRST PLAY with decent pass protection and throws an interception into tight coverage.

Alex Needs to GO. He is a BUST. He was the number one overall selection in the draft. If you're number one overall, you are supposed to be pretty good. Alex Smith is worse than pretty bad. He's horrible.

Given the alternative what do you suggest, Hill got benched because he sucked, now you want Smith benched or more likely drawn and quartered for being taken 1st overall, who's left ?
  • bret
  • Veteran
We have three problems with our offense:

1. Philosophy! Singletary wants to run and wants a "f"ysical team that asserts it's will. But our two best offensive linemen (Staley and Heitman) are the smallest but most athletic. The team gets consistently beaten by speed rushers on our right side and by stunts and blitzes up the center that no one picks up quickly enough! I believe it was Kevin Lynch who ran a story on the bankruptcy of the "big, physical linemen" idea. We need to change our thinking here!
2. Offensive line. See number one.
3. Quarterback. Shaun Hill doesn't have a major league arm, and teams started crowding the line when they caught on. Alex Smith has the physical tools, and with the improvement he has made in four and a half years, he has had us close enough to win three weeks in a row. But each of those weeks, when it was winning time, Alex Smith made the key mistake that turned a potential win into a loss. This is NO IMPROVEMENT over what he did as a rookie. Moxie! If you have it, you have it. If you don't, it can't be taught. And that's why Flacco and Ryan etc. are successful as rookies and Alex still leaves us making excuses IN HIS FIFTH SEASON!
Originally posted by bret:

1. Philosophy! Singletary wants to run and wants a "f"ysical team that asserts it's will. But our two best offensive linemen (Staley and Heitman) are the smallest but most athletic. The team gets consistently beaten by speed rushers on our right side and by stunts and blitzes up the center that no one picks up quickly enough! I believe it was Kevin Lynch who ran a story on the bankruptcy of the "big, physical linemen" idea. We need to change our thinking here!
3. Quarterback. Shaun Hill doesn't have a major league arm, and teams started crowding the line when they caught on. Alex Smith has the physical tools, and with the improvement he has made in four and a half years, he has had us close enough to win three weeks in a row. But each of those weeks, when it was winning time, Alex Smith made the key mistake that turned a potential win into a loss. This is NO IMPROVEMENT over what he did as a rookie. Moxie! If you have it, you have it. If you don't, it can't be taught. And that's why Flacco and Ryan etc. are successful as rookies and Alex still leaves us making excuses IN HIS FIFTH SEASON!

All true, but it ALWAYS starts in the trenches, regardless of philosophy. You could run variations of the same play all game with a competent offense line and be successful.

Our offseason priorities should all be on the OL...

Can't blame this game on the o-line. They weren't horrendous. they gave hime time he just takes a while lol. THis is a lack of a good qb loss. Smith didn't even give Crabrtee the time of day this afternoon, wtf!!

From MM Twitter:

Quote:
Don't blame 49ers O-line for Sunday's loss. Protection held up well despite array of Titans' blitzes and 51 quarterback dropbacks.

I also said this and got laughed at. The only one who played poorly is Snyder who stinks.

Barry Sims has been a huge surprise. The running game worked pretty well too, just need to see Gore get more carries. Raye called a very good game too.

Turnover margin was the problem.

From MM Twitter:

Quote:

That still doesn't excuse their piss poor performance overall. I watched the game, and "well" is hardly the word I'd use to describe the O-Line's play.
It's funny how members post ridiculous thoughts on a player playing the most difficult position in all of sports. Alex, and all NFL QB's, are asked to drop back in a pocket surrounded by rabid defenders who want nothing more than to take his head off and make calm collected decisions. The difference between Alex and all those other QB's that everyone seems to want to go out and get is that most of those QB's have an O-line that has been together for a significant period of time and have excellent coaches. We haven't had a good o-line coach since Bob McKittrick, may he rest in peace. He was the consummate professional coach who demanded excellence and taught his lineman brilliantly. It's like Coach Singletary always says-fix the line and this team suddenly becomes offensively relevant.
Originally posted by bret:

I'm sick and tired of hearing people talk about Alex being in his fifth season and that folks should stop making excuses. Well here's the bottom line: Alex has had five different offensive coordinators, which means five different systems. He's had a myriad combination of starting lineman, was thrown under the bus by Nolan, completely tore his shoulder up not once but twice, and still has managed to look very good. All you who like to bash Alex weren't talking very loud after the Houston or Indianapolis game. I'm sick and tired of the impulse responses. If the 49ers made decisions based on this impulse decisions we'd have sixteen different starting QB's in a sixteen game season. Patience!
Was it well when Snydey gave an end a free run at SMith which resulted in a fumble? Was it well when Smith was wrapped up at the same time that he got the ball from the center?

All QBs have bad games, you dont' bench them for it....we'll never be good again if you do that.
Share 49ersWebzone