LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 171 users in the forums

We are a good team with a bad QB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
You said it. This is a QB driven league. Sure an Oline is important, but good QBs play well with mediocre offensive linemen. The line was not THAT bad today. They weren't great either, but a bunch of those poorly throw passes and interceptions by Alex Smith was because of his slow recognition of the play and slow release of the ball.

At the 3 minute mark, we were only down by one touchdown. Good quarterbacks at least give their team a chance to go down the field and tie the game up, possibly winning it.

Alex Smith goes out there ON THE FIRST PLAY with decent pass protection and throws an interception into tight coverage.

Alex Needs to GO. He is a BUST. He was the number one overall selection in the draft. If you're number one overall, you are supposed to be pretty good. Alex Smith is worse than pretty bad. He's horrible.

Alex Smith didn't turn the ball over 4 times because of the line, he did it because he misread coverages. The first one I'm OK with. The defender made a great play. The throw was late, however, and a good QB would be able to sneak it in. But it's OK, I won't be too harsh about that one. From that it was all Smith. The Fumble was a WTF??? He simply dropped the ball. He didn't even get stripped. It fell out of his hand. Watch the replay....not contact!!! Defender was close, but no contact. The other fumble, that Gore recovered, that went back like 23 yards was another WTF moment. Take the sack or throw it away...DON'T LET THE BALL FLY 23 YARDS BACK!!! The next 2 INTs were misreads on Smith's part. He basically said this much in the post game press conference. He was talking about how the Titans really disguise coverages more than any other team he's seen...which would be a good excuse if they weren't the worst pass defense in the league!!! Aaron Rodgers has a MUCH worse line. He's line is the worst I've ever seen....yet he doesn't misread defenses and throws a catchable accurate ball. Smith is a career 70 passer rating QB...he'll never be mroe. SD, i'm confused. You bash everything niner related...the lines, the coaches, the secondary, the linebackers, Scotty, Jed, Hill, etc....and much of that deserved....but why not Alex? Everyone's responsible for their own mistakes but Alex's somehow fall on other people? Surely you must see enough Chargers games around here to want a real QB. I know I get jealous when I see Rivers play.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
You said it. This is a QB driven league. Sure an Oline is important, but good QBs play well with mediocre offensive linemen. The line was not THAT bad today. They weren't great either, but a bunch of those poorly throw passes and interceptions by Alex Smith was because of his slow recognition of the play and slow release of the ball.

At the 3 minute mark, we were only down by one touchdown. Good quarterbacks at least give their team a chance to go down the field and tie the game up, possibly winning it.

Alex Smith goes out there ON THE FIRST PLAY with decent pass protection and throws an interception into tight coverage.

Alex Needs to GO. He is a BUST. He was the number one overall selection in the draft. If you're number one overall, you are supposed to be pretty good. Alex Smith is worse than pretty bad. He's horrible.

Alex Smith didn't turn the ball over 4 times because of the line, he did it because he misread coverages. The first one I'm OK with. The defender made a great play. The throw was late, however, and a good QB would be able to sneak it in. But it's OK, I won't be too harsh about that one. From that it was all Smith. The Fumble was a WTF??? He simply dropped the ball. He didn't even get stripped. It fell out of his hand. Watch the replay....not contact!!! Defender was close, but no contact. The other fumble, that Gore recovered, that went back like 23 yards was another WTF moment. Take the sack or throw it away...DON'T LET THE BALL FLY 23 YARDS BACK!!! The next 2 INTs were misreads on Smith's part. He basically said this much in the post game press conference. He was talking about how the Titans really disguise coverages more than any other team he's seen...which would be a good excuse if they weren't the worst pass defense in the league!!! Aaron Rodgers has a MUCH worse line. He's line is the worst I've ever seen....yet he doesn't misread defenses and throws a catchable accurate ball. Smith is a career 70 passer rating QB...he'll never be mroe. SD, i'm confused. You bash everything niner related...the lines, the coaches, the secondary, the linebackers, Scotty, Jed, Hill, etc....and much of that deserved....but why not Alex? Everyone's responsible for their own mistakes but Alex's somehow fall on other people? Surely you must see enough Chargers games around here to want a real QB. I know I get jealous when I see Rivers play.

Rodgers has a poor line, but he also hangs in there for 4 extra seconds on every play leading to additional sacks. Call a spade a spade. And as of right now he's a pretty big choker too.

We're not that good of a football team especially not on offense. The line is absymal, our receivers are slow and raw, and yeah our QB play is less than stellar to say the least.
Alex has had 2 1/2 games this season...let's at least give him to the end of the season before we write him off. News flash...we're not a good team! Not yet, anyway. If we were, we'd be at least 5-3, if not 6-2 now. And here's another thought...if we had a more experienced head coach, and an innovative OC, we'd be a better team.
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Our offenseiv line sux and our pass defense is atrocious.

Do you read before posting? You should. The line gave Alex ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD yesterday.

Oh -- there's no way that Philly is trading Kolb. If Reid was smart -- he'd bench McNabb and insert Kolb. That kid is the real deal.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Your probably right, we probably need to look for another Qb, but until then we have to go with what we got. Hopefully, Alex shows something before the season is over.
  • Stuuk
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Alex has had 2 1/2 games this season...let's at least give him to the end of the season before we write him off. News flash...we're not a good team! Not yet, anyway. If we were, we'd be at least 5-3, if not 6-2 now. And here's another thought...if we had a more experienced head coach, and an innovative OC, we'd be a better team.

That!

Generally we have too many issues than just the QB situation.

How many of our players would start for the top two teams in the league? (Saints/Colts)

Offense

Definites
Gore

Questionable
Crabtree ? (Maybe in the future)
Davis (Better than Clark/Shockey?)
Staley

Defense
Willis
Justin Smith
I agree with your post,dude.

It's time we realize that Smith is simply not the answer. I think Shaun Hill is a great QB, but ultimately a great backup and not a sufficient starter. We need a QB because this is a QB league. What scares me is that we waste the years we have on the D on this bad QB and not allow ourselves to become a good team because of that. Bears and Ravens are teams that come to mind. Teams that couldn't get to the next level because of a lack at QB. The Texans were in a similar spot. When a good QB comes to a team the whole dynamic changes. Some QBs can function in systems, but unfortunately we don't have McDaniels to create a QB friendly system for us, and will need someone who has legitimate NFL talent. Smith is not clutch, he can't pick defenses apart, he's not a great leader and his athletic ability, while good, is nothing to write home about. Most of all, his accuracy is lacking. Here are some options

FA:
Just like the Saints did with Brees. Is there a good FA QB on the market? No way, there never is anymore.

Trade:
The one name that comes to mind is Kevin Kolb. I think he's a good QB, whose learned from one of the better QB experts in the game. He may be in a similar position that Shaub or Cassle were in.

Draft:
This seems like the obvious choice. Claussen, Tebow, Locker, Bradford, Snead, Pike, McCoy. One of these guys will be good. Not all, but at least one. Lets identify him and use our 2 first round picks wisely

Any other suggestions? We already have a QB on the roster? Blockbuster trade of all our picks for a starter? Hope Hassleback gets cut, etc. etc.??? (BTW, I just brought up these last 3 as alternatives, but clearly think all are terrible options).
This is one of those post were we need to think before we type . Read your post then realize how stupid it is and then delete it .
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Our offenseiv line sux and our pass defense is atrocious.

Do you read before posting? You should. The line gave Alex ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD yesterday.

Oh -- there's no way that Philly is trading Kolb. If Reid was smart -- he'd bench McNabb and insert Kolb. That kid is the real deal.

Do you post before watching the game ? The OL sucked .
Originally posted by NinerGM:
It's time we realize that Smith is simply not the answer. I think Shaun Hill is a great QB, but ultimately a great backup and not a sufficient starter. We need a QB because this is a QB league. What scares me is that we waste the years we have on the D on this bad QB and not allow ourselves to become a good team because of that. Bears and Ravens are teams that come to mind. Teams that couldn't get to the next level because of a lack at QB. The Texans were in a similar spot. When a good QB comes to a team the whole dynamic changes. Some QBs can function in systems, but unfortunately we don't have McDaniels to create a QB friendly system for us, and will need someone who has legitimate NFL talent. Smith is not clutch, he can't pick defenses apart, he's not a great leader and his athletic ability, while good, is nothing to write home about. Most of all, his accuracy is lacking. Here are some options

FA:
Just like the Saints did with Brees. Is there a good FA QB on the market? No way, there never is anymore.

Trade:
The one name that comes to mind is Kevin Kolb. I think he's a good QB, whose learned from one of the better QB experts in the game. He may be in a similar position that Shaub or Cassle were in.

Draft:
This seems like the obvious choice. Claussen, Tebow, Locker, Bradford, Snead, Pike, McCoy. One of these guys will be good. Not all, but at least one. Lets identify him and use our 2 first round picks wisely

Any other suggestions? We already have a QB on the roster? Blockbuster trade of all our picks for a starter? Hope Hassleback gets cut, etc. etc.??? (BTW, I just brought up these last 3 as alternatives, but clearly think all are terrible options).

Okay - but you realize this would mean a complete scrapping of our offense right? Kevin Kolb is a WCO QB. This would mean getting rid fo the digit system and going back to the WCO. We then would certainly have to blow-up the OL and go lighter, fire most of our Offensive coaching staff because they are not WCO guys.

Where's the negative part about this? The only caution I have is Philly has a history of unloading garbage backup QB's on the rest of the league.

FA:

Trade:

Draft:

Hill? Great? Really?

We don't have a decent quarterback on the team.
nate davis?
2 of the interceptions weren't Smith's fault, and he played well otherwise. We are still adjusting to the pass first offense, we will get better.
We are a bad team with a horrible QB
Originally posted by danimal:
We are a bad team with a horrible QB

Have been for several years now! It has been our downfall!
Share 49ersWebzone