There are 153 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

We are a good team with a bad QB

It's time we realize that Smith is simply not the answer. I think Shaun Hill is a great QB, but ultimately a great backup and not a sufficient starter. We need a QB because this is a QB league. What scares me is that we waste the years we have on the D on this bad QB and not allow ourselves to become a good team because of that. Bears and Ravens are teams that come to mind. Teams that couldn't get to the next level because of a lack at QB. The Texans were in a similar spot. When a good QB comes to a team the whole dynamic changes. Some QBs can function in systems, but unfortunately we don't have McDaniels to create a QB friendly system for us, and will need someone who has legitimate NFL talent. Smith is not clutch, he can't pick defenses apart, he's not a great leader and his athletic ability, while good, is nothing to write home about. Most of all, his accuracy is lacking. Here are some options

FA:
Just like the Saints did with Brees. Is there a good FA QB on the market? No way, there never is anymore.

Trade:
The one name that comes to mind is Kevin Kolb. I think he's a good QB, whose learned from one of the better QB experts in the game. He may be in a similar position that Shaub or Cassle were in.

Draft:
This seems like the obvious choice. Claussen, Tebow, Locker, Bradford, Snead, Pike, McCoy. One of these guys will be good. Not all, but at least one. Lets identify him and use our 2 first round picks wisely

Any other suggestions? We already have a QB on the roster? Blockbuster trade of all our picks for a starter? Hope Hassleback gets cut, etc. etc.??? (BTW, I just brought up these last 3 as alternatives, but clearly think all are terrible options).

[ Edited by RollinWith21n52 on Nov 8, 2009 at 23:47:00 ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
It's time we realize that Smith is simply not the answer. I think Shaun Hill is a great QB, but ultimately a great backup and not a sufficient starter. We need a QB because this is a QB league. What scares me is that we waste the years we have on the D on this bad QB and not allow ourselves to become a good team because of that. Bears and Ravens are teams that come to mind. Teams that couldn't get to the next level because of a lack at QB. The Texans were in a similar spot. When a good QB comes to a team the whole dynamic changes. Some QBs can function in systems, but unfortunately we don't have McDaniels to create a QB friendly system for us, and will need someone who has legitimate NFL talent. Smith is not clutch, he can't pick defenses apart, he's not a great leader and his athletic ability, while good, is nothing to write home about. Most of all, his accuracy is lacking. Here are some options

FA:
Just like the Saints did with Brees. Is there a good FA QB on the market? No way, there never is anymore.

Trade:
The one name that comes to mind is Kevin Kolb. I think he's a good QB, whose learned from one of the better QB experts in the game. He may be in a similar position that Shaub or Cassle were in.

Draft:
This seems like the obvious choice. Claussen, Tebow, Locker, Bradford, Snead, Pike, McCoy. One of these guys will be good. Not all, but at least one. Lets identify him and use our 2 first round picks wisely

Any other suggestions? We already have a QB on the roster? Blockbuster trade of all our picks for a starter? Hope Hassleback gets cut, etc. etc.??? (BTW, I just brought up these last 3 as alternatives, but clearly think all are terrible options).

Here's one: bring in some linemen who can actually block if their lives depended on it.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

FA:

Trade:

Draft:

Go into DWR. They have been trying to identify which if any of the crop of qb's will make it. Simply isn't that easy this year.

And then we put whoever it is behind our O line and guess what happens?
we are a good team with a bad offensive line
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Can't blame this game on the o-line. They weren't horrendous. they gave hime time he just takes a while lol. THis is a lack of a good qb loss. Smith didn't even give Crabrtee the time of day this afternoon, wtf!!

We are far from a good team at any position.
NO TEBOW.

he will NOT translate into an NFL QB of any value. book it. plus hes a mega douche.

if we draft Tebow i will flip out.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
NO TEBOW.

he will NOT translate into an NFL QB of any value. book it. plus hes a mega douche.

if we draft Tebow i will flip out.

+1

The QB class looks weak this year. I'd look in F/A or Trade. I would give Philly a first for Kevin Kolb
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Can't blame this game on the o-line. They weren't horrendous. they gave hime time he just takes a while lol. THis is a lack of a good qb loss. Smith didn't even give Crabrtee the time of day this afternoon, wtf!!

From MM Twitter:

Quote:
Don't blame 49ers O-line for Sunday's loss. Protection held up well despite array of Titans' blitzes and 51 quarterback dropbacks.
Eventhough our dline has played good this year, i feel as if they are overacheving (as evidenced by their lack of pressure in some or most games)

Fix both lines, get a new safetys, worry about the qb later.. why get a qb and have him get bashed up behind a revolving door OLine.
Our offenseiv line sux and our pass defense is atrocious.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Eventhough our dline has played good this year, i feel as if they are overacheving (as evidenced by their lack of pressure in some or most games)

Fix both lines, get a new safetys, worry about the qb later.. why get a qb and have him get bashed up behind a revolving door OLine.

I think our DLine is actually pretty good...I don't like our LB's. Especially in the 3-4. Willis is a probowler but Harelson has disapeared, Lawson is miscast and Spikes is playing like a slow 33 year old LB.
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Our offenseiv line sux and our pass defense is atrocious.

These are actually the 2 biggest problems. Even Alex won't look as bad if some of this is fixed. If you pick a #1 QB say Locker or whatever he will get killed by week #3. He will be in the hospital with a career threatening injury. Nobody is going to survive behind this.

At the present time we literally have 2 Tackles who can't block and 2 Guards who can't block.

Honestly this O LINE is worse than Alex's rookie year. I never thought I would see something this bad again.
You said it. This is a QB driven league. Sure an Oline is important, but good QBs play well with mediocre offensive linemen. The line was not THAT bad today. They weren't great either, but a bunch of those poorly throw passes and interceptions by Alex Smith was because of his slow recognition of the play and slow release of the ball.

At the 3 minute mark, we were only down by one touchdown. Good quarterbacks at least give their team a chance to go down the field and tie the game up, possibly winning it.

Alex Smith goes out there ON THE FIRST PLAY with decent pass protection and throws an interception into tight coverage.

Alex Needs to GO. He is a BUST. He was the number one overall selection in the draft. If you're number one overall, you are supposed to be pretty good. Alex Smith is worse than pretty bad. He's horrible.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
You said it. This is a QB driven league. Sure an Oline is important, but good QBs play well with mediocre offensive linemen. The line was not THAT bad today. They weren't great either, but a bunch of those poorly throw passes and interceptions by Alex Smith was because of his slow recognition of the play and slow release of the ball.

At the 3 minute mark, we were only down by one touchdown. Good quarterbacks at least give their team a chance to go down the field and tie the game up, possibly winning it.

Alex Smith goes out there ON THE FIRST PLAY with decent pass protection and throws an interception into tight coverage.

Alex Needs to GO. He is a BUST. He was the number one overall selection in the draft. If you're number one overall, you are supposed to be pretty good. Alex Smith is worse than pretty bad. He's horrible.