LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Official Jimmy Raye WTF thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It's flat-out embarrasing...we're now into the 2nd half of the season...and our offense has only marginally progressed. That says it all...and some of this is on Singletary, too. He's not demanding more...or if he is, he's not getting it. Either way, our offense is a joke...I'm sick (and tired) of seeing so much ineptness. Singletary: either fix it or get someone who can. If you can't get it done, then you don't deserve to be head coach. It's not like you started out with a shell of a team like Nolan did.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
It's flat-out embarrasing...we're now into the 2nd half of the season...and our offense has only marginally progressed. That says it all...and some of this is on Singletary, too. He's not demanding more...or if he is, he's not getting it. Either way, our offense is a joke...I'm sick (and tired) of seeing so much ineptness. Singletary: either fix it or get someone who can. If you can't get it done, then you don't deserve to be head coach. It's not like you started out with a shell of a team like Nolan did.

Our offense has undergone a major overhaul in philosophy... I think it's progressed nicely from what it was the 1st week.
Originally posted by mitpdub:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Is it the play calling or is it the execution? I think it's a little of both.

The playcalling lacks any imagination. Everyone knows the play where Morgan goes in motion, stops behind our TE and its always a run for a loss or no gain. On 3rd and long he will always throw a pass to a WR for less than the yardage needed to convert and hope the WR get yac. When Norris is in, its also a guaranteed run.

Haha. Even we fans know that it's going to be a run. We've seen it so many times already. I haven't even seen a counter to that play. It's always a run up the middle. No play action, no screen to Morgan, nothing!
Originally posted by DarthNiner:

The playcalling lacks any imagination. Everyone knows the play where Morgan goes in motion, stops behind our TE and its always a run for a loss or no gain. On 3rd and long he will always throw a pass to a WR for less than the yardage needed to convert and hope the WR get yac. When Norris is in, its also a guaranteed run.

Haha. Even we fans know that it's going to be a run. We've seen it so many times already. I haven't even seen a counter to that play. It's always a run up the middle. No play action, no screen to Morgan, nothing!

ahh, i have seen play action out of it once. it was against minnesota and was a drag route a WR, a 2 yard route turned into 25yds because of all the open field.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:

ahh, i have seen play action out of it once. it was against minnesota and was a drag route a WR, a 2 yard route turned into 25yds because of all the open field.

We need more of that. It looks as if the defense is already set up to defend the run, so we need to throw the counter sooner than later to keep them honest.
oh and i kept betting a guy in the stands with me on what the play cal would be. it was a 3rd and 11, and i called draw right(then ore went in motion) and i wuickly said oh draw left. and i was right. i was right about 40 % of the time, and 60% of the time i was right on the idea. i count the 1 yard outs as the right idea on nth and long.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jdt84_2:

We're setting up the Rams on January 3, 2010. They'll think they have us figured out, when BAAAAMMMM, out of nowhere, Jimmy Raye pulls out the Morgan Squat 2.0 (nothing but play-actions). The Rams LBs will all be confused and the entire defense in a frenzy. The 49ers will put up 67 points on the hapless, confused Rams defense. Alex Smith throws for 578 yards, all 578 coming from play-action passes. The 49ers win 70-0. Obama declares St. Louis a state of emergency after the game.

The 49ers finish the season 5-11, however. Brilliant, Raye. Just brilliant.

he called a good game yesterday
Originally posted by WestCoast:

I hope you're kidding because Raye turtled up after the Smith INT.

It does seem like he is learning, but it is very slow.

The first drive had some good play calls, but were quickly forgotten (why did he give up of the wide receiver screen). I have a feeling by week 17 he will get it figured out... only 16 games to late.

no im not kidding, the offense was sloppy and couldn't execute. the playcalling was fine. the oline sucks. u guys are blind
  • B650
  • Veteran

no im not kidding, the offense was sloppy and couldn't execute. the playcalling was fine. the oline sucks. u guys are blind

OK, considering that the OL sucks, and we've known this for 9 games now, don't you think that Raye should know this as well and adjust how he calls the plays accordingly? I mean, you can blame the OL for not giving Alex any time. You can blame them for not giving Gore any lanes to run through, but who keeps calling the same damn plays that we KNOW aren't going to work, over and over and over....

Hint:

if the offense could come up with drives that dont involve 8 false starts, recievers falling down, recievers dropping balls, sacks, failing to convert 3rd and short, failing to convert 4th and short....

Jimmy Raye cant go down there and make them not f**k up the plays.

but i guess its just easier to have 1 person to blame

[ Edited by WestCoast on Nov 13, 2009 at 02:21:00 ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
if the offense could come up with drives that dont involve 8 false starts, recievers falling down, recievers dropping balls, sacks, failing to convert 3rd and short, failing to convert 4th and short....

Jimmy Raye cant go down there and make them not f**k up the plays.

but i guess its just easier to have 1 person to blame

You're right, but he can call the plays to put his players in the best position to succeed. Do you feel that he does that? I don't think so. We come out firing in the 1st half all the time, build a lead, and then in the 2nd half we start trying to run out the clock and get all conservative. Maybe if he trusted Alex and the OL more it would be different. Still though, eventually you have to take the training wheels off and play to win the damn game.
WTF jimmy raye #1 -- if it's over 3rd and 12... it's a draw or a WR screen. no killer instinct.

WTF jimmy raye #2 -- if you're team's got it's juices flowing and hitting on most cylinders, why stop it?! WHY in the f**king world did he go away from the shotgun?! not only was smith playing well but gore was running for good chunks of yardage.

WTF jimmy raye #3 -- as above, why stop going to something that works?! WHY in the f**k did you stop throwing it Crabtree's way? he was only providing a spark, fan noise, and first downs. obviously he wasn't working out...

WTF jimmy raye #4 -- why do you NEVER use gore in open space? toss? slip screen? what the f**k man utilize your players' skills.

WTF jimmy raye #5 -- you have a superior talent at TE lined up against slower, maybe weaker, can't jump as high, bad on coverage LBS... WHY NOT GIVE VERNON THE BALL MORE?!

so, jimmy raye. WHAT THE f**k?!?!?

ps. yay we won!! im rooting for a cardinals loss!

[ Edited by chico49erfan on Nov 13, 2009 at 03:15:24 ]
Share 49ersWebzone