LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 219 users in the forums

Official Jimmy Raye WTF thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erfanatic:
Originally posted by sj49er408:
This game planning and play-calling is making me so frustrated, I can close my eyes and know what their gonna call on everydown! Raye has to go! Singeltary is blind and ignorant to stay with this guy and continue to do the same dam thing!

I was worried when we hired Jimmy Raye, and unfortunately he has lived up to his mediocre reputation. There's a reason he's been with so many different teams, and has never produced a top offense. Raye was hired because Sing couldn't get an elite OC to come here, and he was the only guy that bought into the "run" mentality that Singletary wanted to implement. I blame Coach Sing as much as Raye for being closed minded, and unwilling to adjust his offense to the personnel that he has. As I've said before, we don't have the personnel to impose our will in the running game, and the team would be much more effective throwing out of the spread to Crabtree, Morgan, Brandon Jones and Jason Hill. Let's get our speed on the field at WR, and move away from Bruce at this point. And you don't get rid of your top returner unless you are sure you have a legitimate replacement. Now we are playing musical chairs with this function, and it's proving to be disastrous. We may have just lost our $64M cornerback for the year by experimenting with the "flavor of the week" as our return man. Sing doesn't seem to be a great evaluator of the skill positions based on his decisions so far.

yep exactly
remember how seifert refused deion to play on offense and special teams (but he was skilled at least compared to clements ...) ?
well he wanted to prevent the risk of injury and he was RIGHT
sing doesn't know anything about offense AND ST
the release of rossum is an example

If he isn't carefull enough he could lose is job making poor decisions that hurt the team badly
the ST level of play as diminished big time and we cannot survive that and jimmy raye that will stay (i'm sure) for a second season despite what we see and we're going to see the rest of the year on offense

Originally posted by nooj:
Anyone read Kawakami's new article? I'm not a big fan of the dude, but he feels that ultimately Jimmy Raye is an extension of Sing's offensive philosophy. He feels that Jimmy Raye is not to blame, but it's Sing's unwillingness to open up in close game situations.

I'm not sure this is something that can be changed in Sing's mind, but he has shown in the past that he can be humble and admit/learn from his mistakes.

I hope the beat writers ask a lot of questions about Raye. I want him on the hot seat in the media b/c the fans are truly frustrated.

i thought the same
let's email the matts the next Q in line should be : "is it time to make a change at the playcalling on offense like it was time to change some players on the team the last few weeks ?"
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
49ers attempted two passes for every run today

matt m

It's not the amount of times they pass, it's the formation that they run it out off - double TE BS.

-9fA

Right.

And its not just the formation, but its the down and distance they attempt it from.

And many of those "passes" were actually screens.

Also, when we actually have drives, they consist of passes, so naturally the amount of passes we throw will appear higher.

The amount of runs appears low, because we never gain any yards, therefore we are either forced to throw the next couple downs or we punt, and the drive ends right there.
  • nooj
  • Veteran
I just joined the Fire Jimmy Raye group on facebook. Anyone wanna join me?

Btw, Sing just expressed his unwavering confidence in Raye. I know he has to back his coaching staff in the media, but man this is upsetting.

[ Edited by nooj on Nov 2, 2009 at 12:36:54 ]
raye bites and this sucks
I have been holding my tongue thus far, but what I really think...

This is a p*ssy ass, chicken sh*t offense with delusions of smash mouth. I am not one to bash before someone has their chance to prove themselves, but we are now halfway through the season. And we are seeing the same zero offense that we have seen the last several years. I guess that is to be expected by head coaches that seem to only really care about defense. What else is a fan to think when Singletary said last summer "we are not trying to outsmart anyone" when it comes to offense. Well they better try to outsmart defenses for a change, because they certainly are not able to outplay defenses when they know what play is coming.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
sing said he's behind raye 150 percent. Time to face the facts, sing doesn't want a real aggressive passing attack.
Originally posted by djfullshred:
I have been holding my tongue thus far, but what I really think...

This is a p*ssy ass, chicken sh*t offense with delusions of smash mouth. I am not one to bash before someone has their chance to prove themselves, but we are now halfway through the season. And we are seeing the same zero offense that we have seen the last several years. I guess that is to be expected by head coaches that seem to only really care about defense. What else is a fan to think when Singletary said last summer "we are not trying to outsmart anyone" when it comes to offense. Well they better try to outsmart defenses for a change, because they certainly are not able to outplay defenses when they know what play is coming.

Would be very interesting to ask an opposing defensive player their thoughts of stopping the 9ers offense.

I bet they would all say the same thing -- 'simple.'

They must look forward to playing this team because they can play on their Playstations instead of study.
Originally posted by Hopper:
sing said he's behind raye 150 percent. Time to face the facts, sing doesn't want a real aggressive passing attack.

I don't think Singletary is an idiot. He is willing to bench Clements for a better and more questionable player. He has been almost 100% correct in replacing players/starters.

I think he is 150% behind Raye as long as Raye shows that he can make adjustments accordingly. I do think Singletary will be VERY quick to replace anyone if needed. He also understands that replacing a coach isn't as easy as replacing a starter. I'm sure he understands that replacing coaches not only requires plan A, but plans B and C along with time.
Originally posted by haggard:
It should be simple: GO WITH WHAT'S WORKING!!!

We're choosing not to do that for what ever reason.

This week will be telling about Jimmy. Titans rank for pass defense and passing TDs allowed: 32.

• Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Originally posted by haggard:
It should be simple: GO WITH WHAT'S WORKING!!!

We're choosing not to do that for what ever reason.

This week will be telling about Jimmy. Titans rank for pass defense and passing TDs allowed: 32.

This is the game to let Smith do what he does best by spreading the offense and let him work. But of course with Raye at the helm, we're probably going to run on 1st and 2nd down and throw on 3rd like we've done all year long.

we are having an identity crisis. We obviously do well offensively when we spread the field out, give gore some space to run, and throw the ball from the shotgun.

Raye and Sing want a "power running team" which we do not have the personnel for.

I hope we balance things out. Martz may have been a better option. He'd run because Sing would tell him to run, but at least he'd have some sort of passing game.
Singletary is a good motivator and he can teach what he knows but unfortunately I still think he was not ready 2 b a head coach. Too late now so we will just have to hope someone he trusts gets in his ear. I am pleased with the change of QB situation but that is only half of the problem. He needs to pry open the play book and play to the 49ers strengths.
Is it too much to ask to get rid of the draw plays on 2nd and long?

Aren't draw plays just used to give your offense more punting room? Why run it on 2nd and long, Raye called that atleast twice yesterday, resulting into almost no gains.
as much as i want raye gone i just realized that if we let him go, Alex and the offense will be hampered by lack of continuity yet again.

so either we keep raye or find someone that runs the same system (norv u best get fired)....
Share 49ersWebzone