LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 338 users in the forums

singletary MAKING BIG MISTAKES.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Mustangstud49:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I don't see how he is that good. Look at the Denver coach for example. 6 - 0 in his rookie season and his team is always prepared.

Singletary:

Lack of preperation - Where were the X's and O's preperation for the Atlanta game? They got their butt kicked all over the field and didn't appear ready or well coached.

Taking timeouts to give worthless PEP RALLY's... Can you picture Bill Walsh doing this? That PEP RALLY cost a challenge later in the game which was a momentum changer and a game changer if it was a close game. Luckily we got blown out like we often do.

Chilo a starter and rotating Guards... Where is the continuity to the offensive line? Find a starter and stick with it. If you don't know who your starters are you aren't a real good coach.

Elevating DIVA (Crabtree) to a starter after missing all of preseason, all the games and training camp. Obviously he is not ready. He barely knows the plays at this point. And what does it do for the locker room? He's losing his guys. Guys are already complaining. Tree hasn't earned anything yet.

Yelling at opposing teams players. How is this HC worthy? A HC is supposed to be well above this level.

IMO Singletary is a highly emotional guy who wants to win but doesn't control his emotions well enough to be a steady head coach. Mike Nolan was better with game management / time management by far. I don't believe we can win with Singletary in the present state. He needs to tone it down a little and be a coach instead of an inspirational leader and motivational speaker.

Discuss Singletary's good and bad points thus far.
Elevating DIVA (Crabtree) to a starter after missing all of preseason, all the games and training camp. Obviously he is not ready. He barely knows the plays at this point. YOU CAN SAY THE SAMETHING ABOUT MARSHALL.......
SO MARSHALL ISNT A DIVA? DIDN'T HE START FOR THE BRONCOS?

Marshall had a playbook the entire time he was acting like a jackass, Crabtree didn't. HUGE difference.

Marshall also wasnt a rookie, another HUGE difference
[ Edited by WINiner on Oct 22, 2009 at 8:34 AM ]
Originally posted by WINiner:
I don't see how he is that good. Look at the Denver coach for example. 6 - 0 in his rookie season and his team is always prepared.

Singletary:

Lack of preperation - Where were the X's and O's preperation for the Atlanta game? They got their butt kicked all over the field and didn't appear ready or well coached.

Taking timeouts to give worthless PEP RALLY's... Can you picture Bill Walsh doing this? That PEP RALLY cost a challenge later in the game which was a momentum changer and a game changer if it was a close game. Luckily we got blown out like we often do.

Chilo a starter and rotating Guards... Where is the continuity to the offensive line? Find a starter and stick with it. If you don't know who your starters are you aren't a real good coach.

Elevating DIVA (Crabtree) to a starter after missing all of preseason, all the games and training camp. Obviously he is not ready. He barely knows the plays at this point. And what does it do for the locker room? He's losing his guys. Guys are already complaining. Tree hasn't earned anything yet.

Yelling at opposing teams players. How is this HC worthy? A HC is supposed to be well above this level.

IMO Singletary is a highly emotional guy who wants to win but doesn't control his emotions well enough to be a steady head coach. Mike Nolan was better with game management / time management by far. I don't believe we can win with Singletary in the present state. He needs to tone it down a little and be a coach instead of an inspirational leader and motivational speaker.

Elevating DIVA (Crabtree) to a starter after missing all of preseason, all the games and training camp. Obviously he is not ready. He barely knows the plays at this point. YOU CAN SAY THE SAMETHING ABOUT MARSHALL.......

Marshall had a playbook the entire time he was acting like a jackass, Crabtree didn't. HUGE difference.

wrong matt said he had a playbook the whole time aswell
Originally posted by KRS-1:
The whole time out issue is nitpicking for the sake of something to complain about. Mike Singletary is Mike Singletary and he is his own individual, if he wasn't you'd complain about that.

And if you truly believe Coaches like BW, Jimmy Johnson or any other HC (be it one who is good to great or one who is not cut out to be a HC) would not call or have not called a timeout because they see their players are gassed (which is fairly normal last I checked when the D is on the field for nearly 2/3rd's of the game), are losing their focus due to being frustrated and flustered which in turn usually causes mental mistakes to be made then you are being ignorant to that fact.

No matter how prepared you are one small mental mistake can lead to a big play or chain of mental mistakes that results in a momentum swing in your opponents favor. "Pep Rally" timeouts are in fact common in the NFL and are called to try and stop a team's momentum and get your team back on the same page and get your guys a quick breather. It has nothing to do with the team's preparation during the week and you can't really prepare for all in game adjustments that teams will make. You seriously need to stop being ignorant to the fact and accept it. You don't have to like it but you should become accepting of it because it likely will never go away.

Here's the problem blowing your timeouts also leads to missing out on a momentum swings. Either it costs you time at the end of the half which potentially costs you points or it costs you a challenge which is probally going to be a momentum swinging play, and in our case definetily was.

You can't burn multiple timeouts early in the half on rah rah speeches. That's poor management.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Oct 22, 2009 at 8:41 AM ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ObePwnD:

Singletary:

A little different scenario there buddy. Not quite the same.

Not quite that different actually. Marshall was way down the depth chart in TC and preseason because he openly admitted to not knowing the playbook. He picked it up pretty quickly though to regain his starting spot once the season rolled around as he lined up as a starter in week 2.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:

which is wrong on matts behalf. no players were permitted from taking the playbook out of the team facility. he never had the playbook
We've lost two in a row; have a history of doing poorly in Oct/Nov.; have a weak offensive line; defense didn't play well last game; QB has a below average NFL arm; our best player is coming off an injury; our shutdown corner isn't a shutdown corner ....

Should I go on?

My point is that there are reasons to worry. Every good fan base does this. We see every game and watch every off season move. Most of us know this team better than we know our girlfriends, wives, boyfriends, husbands, etc.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:

Singletary:

I would like to see that quote. Even then I will disagree with MM. Teams protect their playbooks like gold at Fort Knox. No way in hell the rookie who was threatening to re-enter the draft had a playbook the entire time.
Originally posted by taney71:
We've lost two in a row; have a history of doing poorly in Oct/Nov.; have a weak offensive line; defense didn't play well last game; QB has a below average NFL arm; our best player is coming off an injury; our shutdown corner isn't a shutdown corner ....

Should I go on?

My point is that there are reasons to worry. Every good fan base does this. We see every game and watch every off season move. Most of us know this team better than we know our girlfriends, wives, boyfriends, husbands, etc.

Shame on you Guys !

Sing !
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
The whole time out issue is nitpicking for the sake of something to complain about. Mike Singletary is Mike Singletary and he is his own individual, if he wasn't you'd complain about that.

And if you truly believe Coaches like BW, Jimmy Johnson or any other HC (be it one who is good to great or one who is not cut out to be a HC) would not call or have not called a timeout because they see their players are gassed (which is fairly normal last I checked when the D is on the field for nearly 2/3rd's of the game), are losing their focus due to being frustrated and flustered which in turn usually causes mental mistakes to be made then you are being ignorant to that fact.

No matter how prepared you are one small mental mistake can lead to a big play or chain of mental mistakes that results in a momentum swing in your opponents favor. "Pep Rally" timeouts are in fact common in the NFL and are called to try and stop a team's momentum and get your team back on the same page and get your guys a quick breather. It has nothing to do with the team's preparation during the week and you can't really prepare for all in game adjustments that teams will make. You seriously need to stop being ignorant to the fact and accept it. You don't have to like it but you should become accepting of it because it likely will never go away.

Here's the problem blowing your timeouts also leads to missing out on a momentum swings. Either it costs you time at the end of the half which potentially costs you points or it costs you a challenge which is probally going to be a momentum swinging play, and in our case definetily was.

You can't burn multiple timeouts early in the half on rah rah speeches. That's poor management.

Which is why teams practice the no huddle and 2 minute offense and have to be prepared to run it with all or none of your timeouts. They prepare for situations like that.

Also sometimes those challenges are not overturned no matter how clear it is to you or me if the ref can't see indisputable evidence they can't overturn the call and there are times that refs flat out blow a reviewed call. You can't count on a challenge to swing the momentum thus why you have to assure your team doesn't allow for too many mental mistakes and if calling a timeout to get everyone back on the same page is what is needed then do it. You preferably want to save your timeouts but you have to use them to your advantage and sometimes a "pep rally" timeout can work to your advantage. Others it will bite you in the ass but so much of football is risk vs reward and you have to take certain risks.

Originally posted by Esco:
Originally posted by Thrash88:
If you bring in Lebron James and you already have Caron Butler playing small forward I'm pretty sure you put in Lebron A.S.A.P. God people do you know ANYTHING about football. Crabtree is better then Morgan and Morgan has got all the chances in the world he's dropped a touchdown and ran a lazy catch to the goal line when he should have scored. You put the best people on the field I don't care about chemistry if you have a weak point. That's like saying put Barry Sims at left tackle and sit Staley because they have better chemistry omg SHUT er up rookie. You obviously do not understand football and you will see this Sunday that our team will have a gameplan and we will play a great football game and don't be suprised if Crabtree gets in the endzone, I sure won't.

p.s. I hope Singletary uses all his timeouts in the first drive and points at the screen and says hey webzone fans, EAT IT!

There is NO WAY that Crabtree knows the amount of playbook that a starter should. 2 mistakes from a 2nd year player doesn't negate the fact that Crabtree does not, and can not know the plabook. PERIOD!

Singletary has stated from day one that players will EARN their playing time.....how exactly has Crabtree done that? By catching some passes from Alex Smith during the bye? I don't think so. So now EVERY player that was buying into that BS line now see's that EARNING your play time is not the case. That all the rah rah Singeltary has been blowing up their rears is just that, smoke being blown up their rears.

Singletary better hope the team doesn't decide to hold HIM accountable for his decisions the way he does them, or he may have some difficult questions to answer.

Think about things from a different POV for just a moment

Do you think the Yorks want to see their new big shot multi-million dollar toy EARNING his time? Doubt it. Football is a business first and foremost and the Yorks are business people. I'm sure there was considerable pressure on the coaching staff over the bye week to make sure Crabtree was in position to be on the field as early and a much as possible.

While I'm not ruling out the possibility that Singletary didn't make this discussion on his own, it doesn't exactly seem like his MO. Remember Sing doesn't have the same freedom that Nolan had during his first 3 years.

He's pretty much calling the shots on personnel and who gets playing time though.

Which is why everyone should stop jumping to conclusions on Crabtree starting. All starting means is that you line up during the initial series of the game. I've watched several interviews with Sing so far this week where he's been quoted saying that Josh will probably get more plays that Crabtree. I think the whole Crabtree starting thing is more of a publicity stunt then an actual major move. We will just have to wait and see.

Here's a link basically saying what I was getting at
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/San-Francisco-49ers-rsquo-Morgan-getting-more-p?urn=nfl,197547

Try to minimize the importance of being labled "starter" all you want, however THATS what these players strive to be. Regardless of playing time, being labled as "starter" means something to these players. GOOD players have left teams and gone on to others because of who is labled as starter and who is not, regardless of explained or predicted playing time.

Don't say it doesn't matter who starts, cause it does.

Well the players seem to be singing a different tune. Nobody challenged the point I made about football being a business first. Check your hurt feelings at to door.

So instead of continueing our deiscussion you take to making assumptions about my emotional state huh? It's ok to feel like you lost an argument, no need to project about my feelings.....

By the way, 2 WR's have made comments that weren't exactly with a smile in regards to Crabtree.....

You are just plain wrong Esco. It may not be a big deal to you or me or any other fan, but if you think for a moment that it doesn't matter to the players who is labled as starter and who is not, you are more nieve then your posting makes you appear to be, although I doubt that personally. I think you are simply defending an ill conceived argument at this point.

I could care less if some of the receivers are upset about losing time. Guess what it's a business and these guys have to understand that if you're not producing you're getting replaced fair or unfair. As a group our receivers are averaging 80 yards a game. As far as they're concerned they should be thanking the stars that the Niners aren't just pulling people off the street to replace them.
Originally posted by taney71:

Should I go on?

We haven't lost two in a row
If you bring in Lebron James and you already have Caron Butler playing small forward I'm pretty sure you put in Lebron A.S.A.P. God people do you know ANYTHING about football. Crabtree is better then Morgan and Morgan has got all the chances in the world he's dropped a touchdown and ran a lazy catch to the goal line when he should have scored. You put the best people on the field I don't care about chemistry if you have a weak point. That's like saying put Barry Sims at left tackle and sit Staley because they have better chemistry omg SHUT er up rookie. You obviously do not understand football and you will see this Sunday that our team will have a gameplan and we will play a great football game and don't be suprised if Crabtree gets in the endzone, I sure won't.

p.s. I hope Singletary uses all his timeouts in the first drive and points at the screen and says hey webzone fans, EAT IT!

There is NO WAY that Crabtree knows the amount of playbook that a starter should. 2 mistakes from a 2nd year player doesn't negate the fact that Crabtree does not, and can not know the plabook. PERIOD!

Singletary has stated from day one that players will EARN their playing time.....how exactly has Crabtree done that? By catching some passes from Alex Smith during the bye? I don't think so. So now EVERY player that was buying into that BS line now see's that EARNING your play time is not the case. That all the rah rah Singeltary has been blowing up their rears is just that, smoke being blown up their rears.

Singletary better hope the team doesn't decide to hold HIM accountable for his decisions the way he does them, or he may have some difficult questions to answer.

Think about things from a different POV for just a moment

Do you think the Yorks want to see their new big shot multi-million dollar toy EARNING his time? Doubt it. Football is a business first and foremost and the Yorks are business people. I'm sure there was considerable pressure on the coaching staff over the bye week to make sure Crabtree was in position to be on the field as early and a much as possible.

While I'm not ruling out the possibility that Singletary didn't make this discussion on his own, it doesn't exactly seem like his MO. Remember Sing doesn't have the same freedom that Nolan had during his first 3 years.

He's pretty much calling the shots on personnel and who gets playing time though.

Which is why everyone should stop jumping to conclusions on Crabtree starting. All starting means is that you line up during the initial series of the game. I've watched several interviews with Sing so far this week where he's been quoted saying that Josh will probably get more plays that Crabtree. I think the whole Crabtree starting thing is more of a publicity stunt then an actual major move. We will just have to wait and see.

Here's a link basically saying what I was getting at
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/San-Francisco-49ers-rsquo-Morgan-getting-more-p?urn=nfl,197547

Try to minimize the importance of being labled "starter" all you want, however THATS what these players strive to be. Regardless of playing time, being labled as "starter" means something to these players. GOOD players have left teams and gone on to others because of who is labled as starter and who is not, regardless of explained or predicted playing time.

Don't say it doesn't matter who starts, cause it does.

Well the players seem to be singing a different tune. Nobody challenged the point I made about football being a business first. Check your hurt feelings at to door.

So instead of continueing our deiscussion you take to making assumptions about my emotional state huh? It's ok to feel like you lost an argument, no need to project about my feelings.....

By the way, 2 WR's have made comments that weren't exactly with a smile in regards to Crabtree.....

You are just plain wrong Esco. It may not be a big deal to you or me or any other fan, but if you think for a moment that it doesn't matter to the players who is labled as starter and who is not, you are more nieve then your posting makes you appear to be, although I doubt that personally. I think you are simply defending an ill conceived argument at this point.

I don't think you've even properly identified his argument.

Your original assertion was that Crabtree couldn't possibly know the playbook to the extent that a starter should. First of all, that's an assumption on your end. Secondly, this is a relative point. What is his knowledge of the playbook compared to Morgan's? Neither of us know that, but you're making definitive statements on the subject. Furthermore, knowledge of the playbook is inextricable from talent level. Knowing the playbook and executing it at a high level are not one and the same.

You're also painting the situation with a broad brush, regarding people you've never met. You say that "being a starter matters to these guys". Do all football players have the same attitude on the subject? Do you know Josh Morgan?

All Esco was saying was that in reality, Morgan's playing time MAY not be greatly impacted by the move, and that no one outside of Brandon Jones and people on message boards have made a big deal out of this. He also said that there MAY be more to the equation than just Singletary's influence (York reference).

On the other hand you are making definitive-yet-general statements about people you don't know, and situations that you have no access to. THAT is an ill conceived argument.
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Well until Bill Walsh nobody used the WCO.

I do not have a problem with the timeouts he has taken to rally the players ( in 5 games two).

One it worked the second time it did not.

I do not agree with the yelling at other team players, and singletary has also stated that it was a mistake.

Denver is a much better team talent wise than us.
Josh McDaniels is better at playcalling than Jimmy Raye.

Yet I do belive that the niners will go 9-7 and make the playoffs.

totally agree but i hope he'll have the team playing more solid football than not. cause if he does we'll be do better than 9-7
I will try to watch as many games as I can this weekend and I will show you that ALL coaches you time outs when the team needs a rest of a swift kick in the head? While you are at it why don't you go watch football and learn how it is played since you obviously don't know very much.

OMG TRASH please don't waste your time.... look through his post history....look at every one of his posts in this thread.......

seriously for those people who can't see what SD9er is trying to do, it is quite obvious.....

so don't let him get to you.....he got me with that one hilarious posts and I shut him up.....he didn't answer my question....so everyone who has any sense left, after being exposed to this thread....leave as soon as you can.

early in the thread he basically said Singletary should be our MASCOT! it shows his hatred runs deep that this team actually has played well enough for Sing to be praised....and that Sing will most likely keep the job......it burnnnnnsssssss
[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 22, 2009 at 9:15 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone