There are 65 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

singletary MAKING BIG MISTAKES.

I love Singletary, but if I was Jed York, it would be hard to pass on Holmgren or Shanahan if they were interested in coming back to SF.
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by dust-7:
Are we seriously harping about one instance of burning a time out early as evidence that the head coach is MAKING BIG MISTAKES?

I agree with SD - it WAS a BIG mistake. He needed that timeout for a challenge that could well have changed the course of the game. And in the NFL - you come prepared to play.

I've said that, now, many times. I've pointed out to those defending bad football, here, that COACH SING said the same. He took responsibility for NOT being prepared. And that's how he phrased it. It's exactly what he said.

Sing was right. Those making excuses here, are wrong.

He made a BIG mistake. He knows it. Don't defend it. Move on.

Do you think that timeout was the difference maker, that could have prevented a loss? I don't think so. I think they got beat down by a better team, and it still would have happened if they got the ball back after Delanie lost it on the return.

So was it a BIG mistake? No, I don't think so. Every team burns timeouts early that they wish they had back at times. The only difference between when a good team or struggling team does this is the perception in the minds of frustrated fans. The game wasn;t close at all. The perception that this single issue was a game breaker is false.

So true.
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Are we seriously harping about one instance of burning a time out early as evidence that the head coach is MAKING BIG MISTAKES?

I agree with SD - it WAS a BIG mistake. He needed that timeout for a challenge that could well have changed the course of the game. And in the NFL - you come prepared to play.

I've said that, now, many times. I've pointed out to those defending bad football, here, that COACH SING said the same. He took responsibility for NOT being prepared. And that's how he phrased it. It's exactly what he said.

Do you think that timeout was the difference maker, that could have prevented a loss? I don't think so. I think they got beat down by a better team, and it still would have happened if they got the ball back after Delanie lost it on the return.

So was it a BIG mistake? No, I don't think so. Every team burns timeouts early that they wish they had back at times. The only difference between when a good team or struggling team does this is the perception in the minds of frustrated fans. The game wasn;t close at all. The perception that this single issue was a game breaker is false.

So true.

You guys are of course, right. We shouldn't blame our coaching for costing us timeouts when our QB, and OLine can't perform up to par when down by more then 14 points. Everyone in the stadium, and watching from home knew we lost that game once we were down by 14. Even most of our players knew it IMO.
  • Squirrel
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Method:

So true.

You guys are of course, right. We shouldn't blame our coaching for costing us timeouts when our QB, and OLine can't perform up to par when down by more then 14 points. Everyone in the stadium, and watching from home knew we lost that game once we were down by 14. Even most of our players knew it IMO.

Whatever do you mean? Hill could have pulled out the win, with his beautifully thrown passes, IF Raye would open up the offense for him.

So true.

Sad, huh? That's why I don't have a problem with Crabtree playing Sunday. The more offensive play-makers on the field, the better.
Originally posted by Squirrel:

Whatever do you mean? Hill could have pulled out the win, with his beautifully thrown passes, IF Raye would open up the offense for him.

If wasting timeouts is not an issue to our fans, then the same fans saying these wasted timeouts were not an issue are the ones who felt like we had no chance to win even BEFORE the turnover by Delanie. Yikes. Even I had hopes we'd come back and win that game, but damn. Tough fans.
Originally posted by Squirrel:

So true.

Like Eli came back last week against the Saints right...By any means, if Hill was even a decent QB, he would've won us that game. Excellent logic once again bro.
I love it how everyone is b***hing about the timeouts but if it wasnt because of that timeout he called in AZ, we would be 2-3 and not 3-2 right now.
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
I love it how everyone is b***hing about the timeouts but if it wasnt because of that timeout he called in AZ, we would be 2-3 and not 3-2 right now.

Don't you know? The trolls only come out when bad things happen.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by Daniel2778:

Don't you know? The trolls only come out when bad things happen.

turds
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Well until Bill Walsh nobody used the WCO.

I do not have a problem with the timeouts he has taken to rally the players ( in 5 games two).

One it worked the second time it did not.

I do not agree with the yelling at other team players, and singletary has also stated that it was a mistake.

Denver is a much better team talent wise than us.
Josh McDaniels is better at playcalling than Jimmy Raye.

Yet I do belive that the niners will go 9-7 and make the playoffs.

denver has twice the talent we do right now. We have a good LB, WR, RB and a good CB (and clements isn't that good)...just give it time...they'll develope and people will come...
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I don't see how he is that good. Look at the Denver coach for example. 6 - 0 in his rookie season and his team is always prepared.

Singletary:

Lack of preperation - Where were the X's and O's preperation for the Atlanta game? They got their butt kicked all over the field and didn't appear ready or well coached.

Taking timeouts to give worthless PEP RALLY's... Can you picture Bill Walsh doing this? That PEP RALLY cost a challenge later in the game which was a momentum changer and a game changer if it was a close game. Luckily we got blown out like we often do.

Chilo a starter and rotating Guards... Where is the continuity to the offensive line? Find a starter and stick with it. If you don't know who your starters are you aren't a real good coach.

Elevating DIVA (Crabtree) to a starter after missing all of preseason, all the games and training camp. Obviously he is not ready. He barely knows the plays at this point. And what does it do for the locker room? He's losing his guys. Guys are already complaining. Tree hasn't earned anything yet.

Yelling at opposing teams players. How is this HC worthy? A HC is supposed to be well above this level.

IMO Singletary is a highly emotional guy who wants to win but doesn't control his emotions well enough to be a steady head coach. Mike Nolan was better with game management / time management by far. I don't believe we can win with Singletary in the present state. He needs to tone it down a little and be a coach instead of an inspirational leader and motivational speaker.

Discuss Singletary's good and bad points thus far.

I think you are overstating it a bit...

1. Preparation: The 49ers had been well prepared and ready to play in every game up to the Atlanta game. Clearly, whatever they did in preparation for Atlanta was unsatisfactory but its not unusual for even championship teams to have the occasional bad game. It happens. Remember the 1994 SB Champion 49ers got blown out at home 40-8 by a bad Eagle team. And, lets not forget, it was a 14-10 game and the 49ers had the ball on the Atlanta 30 yard line after forcing a turnover. Unfortunately, Hill got sacked on the next play and they had to punt, which then led to the long pass and run by White and then the kick-off that Walker fumbled, etc. They couldn't stop the momentum but its not like they got totally blown out from the opening gun. Yes, it was bad but lets not act like preparation has been a season long problem. And, I don't care what anyone says, the Crabtree signing was a distraction that week and showed on Sunday.

2. Time outs: Well, no one complained when he did this in Arizona and it worked. Losing that time out wasn't a problem. Using the time out because Coffee wasn't on the field for the goal line play was the one that really hurt. It was a rookie mistake. Coffee owned up to it. And, under Singletary, the 49ers had not been "blown out" since the very first game when he took over mid-week.

3. Rotating OL: It probably would be better to have clear starters at each spot but lets not forget some of the past 49er SB teams rotated O Linemen at times. For example, Bubba Paris and Steve Wallace rotated at LT, so its not unheard of and its clearly not why the OL has struggled.

4. Making Crabtree a starter is a surprise but we haven't seen him play yet so you don't know anymore than I do the extent to which he may or may not be ready to help. You should be excited that maybe he's that special that even given the limited time he's been here, its clear he needs to be on the field. Lets wait until Sunday before making any judgments on this decision. And, Singletary isn't losing anyone. There was always going to be reshuffling of the WR depth chart whenever he signed.

5. Yelling at the Atlanta player: Singletary has admitted it was a mistake and he needs to be better than that. Its not like its a pattern and its hardly a BIG MISTAKE.

6. Winning: The 49ers are 8-6 under Singletary and 7-3 over the last 10 so its a bit silly to say they cannot win with him. How long has it been since the 49ers were 7-3 over any stretch of games. To say that Nolan was better with game/time management is laughable. Nolan had an incident almost weekly. Singletary's been pretty clean in those respects other than running out of time outs in the first half of the Atlanta game.

Relax, the Atlanta game was bad but it does not take away from everything else Singletary had accomplished leading into that game. If they get blown out again on Sunday, then it may be time to reconsider things.

So true.

This season is still another experiment in "what kind of team is this, and will they ever get better?"

They don't have the horsepower on offense. That sucks, but they have a weak QB roster top to bottom. The O-line is about as solid as swiss cheese. They have one good running back. Their top draft rookie WR is behind the 8-ball in his learning curve.

I don't give Singletray a pass, nor do I think he is doing a bad job with what he has to work with. Not right now at least. When a team goes through a "re-org" just about every season, you can't claim they have finally arrived after a few good games, nor can you say they are totally tanking after a really bad game. What I am looking for is to see if they work to solve problems with the roster, get better, and don't allow new problems to start arising. Two instances of timout useage with mixed results is not enough to consider it a trend to be concerned with. Maybe Singletary never does this again after that last game. We don't know yet. It is too early to nitpick on the little things. We know a new head coach is going to make some mistakes, but are these BIG mistakes, when you think of the grand scheme of all a head coach does for a team? If he does this bunch more times, then yes. But right now the count stands 1 success out of 2 attempts.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

So true.

This season is still another experiment in "what kind of team is this, and will they ever get better?"

They don't have the horsepower on offense. That sucks, but they have a weak QB roster top to bottom. The O-line is about as solid as swiss cheese. They have one good running back. Their top draft rookie WR is behind the 8-ball in his learning curve.

I don't give Singletray a pass, nor do I think he is doing a bad job with what he has to work with. Not right now at least. When a team goes through a "re-org" just about every season, you can't claim they have finally arrived after a few good games, nor can you say they are totally tanking after a really bad game. What I am looking for is to see if they work to solve problems with the roster, get better, and don't allow new problems to start arising. Two instances of timout useage with mixed results is not enough to consider it a trend to be concerned with. Maybe Singletary never does this again after that last game. We don't know yet. It is too early to nitpick on the little things. We know a new head coach is going to make some mistakes, but are these BIG mistakes, when you think of the grand scheme of all a head coach does for a team? If he does this bunch more times, then yes. But right now the count stands 1 success out of 2 attempts.

Solid post!!!
I have never been a fan of Sing he is very overrated just like this team