There are 307 users in the forums

The "How is Scot doing as GM?" Poll

Shop Find 49ers gear online

The "How is Scot doing as GM?" Poll

Great picks=Gore (3rd round), Willis, Staley, Morgan (6th round), D.Goldston (late round), P.Haralson (6th round)
Good picks=D.Walker (6th round), V.Davis, M.Lawson
Good/Great signings=J.Smith, N.Clements, M.Lewis, A.Franklin, T.Spikes, W.Harris,I.Bruce,M.Norris,S.Hill
jury still out=M.Crabtree, B.Jones, C.Rachel,N.Davis K.Balmer,T.Brown,R.Smith,S.McKillop,R.Jean Francois, C.Taylor
Bad picks/moves=A.Smith,D.Baas,B.Pascoe,J.Jennings,M.Smith,C.Wallace (has anyone even seen this guy play yet?)
not to mention the trade up to get Staley, the trade that brought us Carolina's 1st round pick next year

Point is we are not a superbowl team, we are however a playoff team with a few holes to fill before we content for the sb. give it another year and see what FA and the draft produce for us I have a good feeling we are going to gear up for a big run next year. i belive by the end of this year guys like Balmer, Rachel, D.Goldston will really start to show what they are made of and prove to be good pu's also.
Well, it's up to Jed to decide, and while he's done a pretty good job in the last year since taking over I'm not sure he's preparing to decide on a new direction as far a GM is concerned.

IMHO, what this franchise needs is an experienced, respected guy placed above McCloughan in the manner that Bill Parcells presides over the Dolphins. Logically, the only guy out there who's close is Mike Holmgren, and even his personnel judgement skills are a little suspect. I'd like to think he'd be good if his time wasn't diluted by having to coach as it was in Seattle.

Other guys with the kind of experience we should be looking for are no better. Shanahan and Cowher are coaches, not personnel guys. Marty Schottenheimer and Singletary likely wouldn't mix very well. No, it's got to be Holmgren, who also has the benefit of the strong Walsh connection which is important to everyone in 49er-land, or should be.

Jed ought to bring Holmgren in as a consultant as soon as the season ends for us, and if he adds significant value in personnel and coaching direction then make him full time.

There will be no simple solutions for taking the 49ers to the next level, or the level beyond that. There are no more guys out there in the Bill Walsh mode that I'm aware of.

And Scot...he's average at best.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
F-.

The most overrated guy on the WZ. What have we improved? We got lucky with Gore in the 3rd round and we got Patrick Willis. Beyond that we have mostly busts.

A tool and a clown. He's holding us back big time from rebuilding. He needs to be fired.

he is stubborn and terrible (obviously marked poor)
were is the "Like a one armed drunken monkey with a dart board" option in this poll?
  • Veteran
Gore and Willis aside, what's he done to deserve this job. These are some of SM's future hall of fame picks:
Manny Lawson, Brandon Williams, Michael Robinson,Parys Haralson,Delanie Walker,Marcus Hudson,Melvin Oliver,Vickiel Vagughn.
jason Hill, Ray Mcdonald, Jay Moore, Dashon Goldson, Joe Cohen, Tarell Brown, Thomas Clayton.
kentwan Balmer, Chilo Rachal,Reggie Smith, Josh Morgan, Larry Grant

Too Early to evaluate.
Doesn't SM's 2008 picks remind you of Walsh's 86 draft?
Originally posted by GEEK:
My response in the draft war room:

Hasn't this been the story of the 49ers for the decade?

We fail to be proactive when it comes to fixing our roster problems.

2009: Marvel Smith was an injury risk from the get-go. He retired last minute, and we signed Pashos, a mediocre RT to go up against a mediocre backup OT/OG. Added bonus of "depth" with a failure in Barry Sims OT/OG/Piece of s**t.

Maintaining the status quo and hoping Haralson and Lawson each posts double digit sacks in 2009. If not, we have the Bengals reject Ahmed Brooks to play some OLB.

Shaun Hill - the best noodle arm QB since Ken Dorsey to helm the franchise that consisted of YA, Brodie, Montana, Young, and I'll throw Garcia in there too. And if Hill doesn't work, we'll start our BUST draft pick Smith and hope he pans out.

And let's get an old f**k who's been dismissed from his OC job 10 times over to lead this offense.

How the f**k can teams like the Falcons and Dolphins turn poor seasons into a playoff season in 1 year? And the 49ers are still in year 5 of McCloughan/Nolan/Singletary era of turning this ship around?

Enough bulls**t, it's time for new front office leadership.

This is where your logic fails...both of those teams had better talent to start with when they were turned around. This team was the absolute worst team in the NFL in 2005, now we are respectable, with a pretty strong defense. We are headed in the right direction, but you are comparing apples to oranges, a mistake made often on these forums.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
My opinion is that he is not performing as expected. Other teams are hampered either by a culture of failure (Lions) or by sheer idiocy in the board (Raiders). We have had a bit of both the past few years but Scott has not shown he is capable of using the opportunities he receives to improve upon what is here. For 3 years now we have consistently required upgrades on the lines. This is STILL a massive work in progress with no end in sight. All other issues are peripheral if you cannot go man to man in at the coal face.
I will let you know after the 2010 draft
Damn I want to work for whoever voted great cuz they don't expect too much

Like I've said before, this franchise's biggest weakness is not at quarterback or offensive line. It's lack of a strong football executive type in the front office like Bill Parcells and Bill Polian. There is only one football guy in this front office and he is at best a scout. It just astounds me how many offseasons have come and gone with the weaknesses on the roster staying the same.

All of the weaknesses put on display by this team this year have been around year after year.Sadly we don't have anyone in the front office with a vision to put it all together and I am losing hope in the Yorks to ever get it right.
Originally posted by bjghum:
People like to blame a lot of our misses in the draft on Nolan.

I don't buy it.

Alex Smith is a perfect example. Scot could have put some
distance between himself and the Nolan era by cutting Smith
this off season. Instead he chose to keep him around and hope
for the best.

Also, he's said he doesn't like to pay big bucks for guards. Yet
he burns 2 2nd round picks on guards. Strange. I could go on
but most of the mistakes have been well documented on the board.

This team still has tons of holes across the board.

Us having 2 1st rounders this year scares the crap out of me.

The Staley move is also starting to look sketchy at best. He's
starting to look more like a RT every day. Oops.

I'd give Scot a D

It scares me too. I'm 95% certain he will screw that up. We would be better off with a new GM before we waste those 2 precious picks. He will probably pick 2 Guards that can't block...
Originally posted by susweel:
Let's see

No franchise QB

No Oline

No premier pass rusher

No back up RB

No big time WR

I would have to say he is doing a terrible job.

you dont believe in the 9ers!
Originally posted by Envy:
My opinion is that he is not performing as expected. Other teams are hampered either by a culture of failure (Lions) or by sheer idiocy in the board (Raiders). We have had a bit of both the past few years but Scott has not shown he is capable of using the opportunities he receives to improve upon what is here. For 3 years now we have consistently required upgrades on the lines. This is STILL a massive work in progress with no end in sight. All other issues are peripheral if you cannot go man to man in at the coal face.

The D line looks very good J.Smith is playing pro bowl level, Franklin is close to that and the trio of Ice, Balmer, McDonald have done a good job at RDE.
The problem is with the OL Staley/Heitman have done a nice job. going into this year the franchise had very high hopes for Baas/Rachel and rightfully so both 2nd round picks from major universities that played really well the end of last year still young developing players. The board would have blown up if the 9ers would have given up on these 2 in the offseason no one thought the problem would be OG everyone was screaming about RT which isn't great but isn't near as bad as the OG spots.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
were is the "Like a one armed drunken monkey with a dart board" option in this poll?

Share 49ersWebzone