LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

The "How is Scot doing as GM?" Poll

Shop Find 49ers gear online

The "How is Scot doing as GM?" Poll

Just want to find out what the Zone thinks about Scot's job performance so far this season. Draft, Free Agency etc.. Thanks.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Let's see

No franchise QB

No Oline

No premier pass rusher

No back up RB

No big time WR

I would have to say he is doing a terrible job.
F-.

The most overrated guy on the WZ. What have we improved? We got lucky with Gore in the 3rd round and we got Patrick Willis. Beyond that we have mostly busts.

A tool and a clown. He's holding us back big time from rebuilding. He needs to be fired.
He had Nolan making the final calls on alot of picks, but he needs to step it up big time.
He had a hand in overhauling the JV team we had in 2004. He's helped get us a couple superstars and a lot of really good role-players, plus some very promising young players who may still become stars (VD, I'm looking at you). While we still lack consistent depth at important positions like the OL and gamebreaking speed at skill positions, I'm still willing to give Scot the benefit of the doubt, as he only recently gained complete control over the roster.

This offseason will determine a lot for my opinion, frankly. So far, I'd say he's slightly above average.
We need Holmgren!
People like to blame a lot of our misses in the draft on Nolan.

I don't buy it.

Alex Smith is a perfect example. Scot could have put some
distance between himself and the Nolan era by cutting Smith
this off season. Instead he chose to keep him around and hope
for the best.

Also, he's said he doesn't like to pay big bucks for guards. Yet
he burns 2 2nd round picks on guards. Strange. I could go on
but most of the mistakes have been well documented on the board.

This team still has tons of holes across the board.

Us having 2 1st rounders this year scares the crap out of me.

The Staley move is also starting to look sketchy at best. He's
starting to look more like a RT every day. Oops.

I'd give Scot a D
Guess it's the offseason already?

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Guess it's the offseason already?

-9fA

Comes around fast!
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HessianDud:
He had a hand in overhauling the JV team we had in 2004. He's helped get us a couple superstars and a lot of really good role-players, plus some very promising young players who may still become stars (VD, I'm looking at you). While we still lack consistent depth at important positions like the OL and gamebreaking speed at skill positions, I'm still willing to give Scot the benefit of the doubt, as he only recently gained complete control over the roster.

This offseason will determine a lot for my opinion, frankly. So far, I'd say he's slightly above average.

You are right he was given full control in 08.

Balmer
Rachal
Reggie Smith

What are they doing?

He was lucked in to Crabtree pick and the Carolina trade.

He hasn't done anything in my opinion to suggest he's anything but average at best.

Though i'd vote slightly below average.

Signs justin smith and gives Soap a decent deal. Then drafts Balmer

Lets Smiley go in FA then drafts Rachal in the 2nd round

Average team+Average coaching staff=Average GM
Scot overestimates both his ability to find talent and the talent on the team so he doesn't think that we need help. McCloughan also doesn't like to admit making mistakes so there isn't much turnover from year to year no matter how bad the existing options are. One of Bill Walsh's ways to keep everyone on their toes was to constantly improve the roster with in season moves. BW wasn't scared to admit mistakes and make changes when it was obvious things weren't working. I miss those days.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
My response in the draft war room:

Hasn't this been the story of the 49ers for the decade?

We fail to be proactive when it comes to fixing our roster problems.

2009: Marvel Smith was an injury risk from the get-go. He retired last minute, and we signed Pashos, a mediocre RT to go up against a mediocre backup OT/OG. Added bonus of "depth" with a failure in Barry Sims OT/OG/Piece of s**t.

Maintaining the status quo and hoping Haralson and Lawson each posts double digit sacks in 2009. If not, we have the Bengals reject Ahmed Brooks to play some OLB.

Shaun Hill - the best noodle arm QB since Ken Dorsey to helm the franchise that consisted of YA, Brodie, Montana, Young, and I'll throw Garcia in there too. And if Hill doesn't work, we'll start our BUST draft pick Smith and hope he pans out.

And let's get an old f**k who's been dismissed from his OC job 10 times over to lead this offense.

How the f**k can teams like the Falcons and Dolphins turn poor seasons into a playoff season in 1 year? And the 49ers are still in year 5 of McCloughan/Nolan/Singletary era of turning this ship around?

Enough bulls**t, it's time for new front office leadership.
  • Nabisko
  • Info N/A
Ask me again in December. So far, so good. Last game was just the players playing poorly, not the coaching or scheme. We had the personel to beat them. Stay tuned..d
[ Edited by Nabisko on Oct 17, 2009 at 3:17 PM ]
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by HessianDud:

You are right he was given full control in 08.

Balmer
Rachal
Reggie Smith

What are they doing?

He was lucked in to Crabtree pick and the Carolina trade.

He hasn't done anything in my opinion to suggest he's anything but average at best.

Though i'd vote slightly below average.

Signs justin smith and gives Soap a decent deal. Then drafts Balmer

Lets Smiley go in FA then drafts Rachal in the 2nd round

agreed, but my jury is still out on a lot of those players you named, they have potential but are young, so I can't hold their lack of production so far against Scot.
Share 49ersWebzone