LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 213 users in the forums

Who Was Covering R. White?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The question on the subject line asks who was covering Roddy White? I interpret that question as who was covering Roddy White for the whole game? It was Nate Clements. Now the question could be asking who was covering Roddy White on the 80 yard TD he had when the score was 14-10 ATL and ATL had the ball on their own 4 yard line to start. That was also Nate Clements.

That 80 yard TD play by Roddy White was the changing point in the game. We just got back into the game by scoring 10 unanswered points and had ATL pinned back at their own 4. Nate went for the break up on the Ryan's 3rd down pass and whiffed. Again ROMAN WAS OUT OF POSITION on the safety help over the top. He took a bad angle on the play and Roddy was off to the races.

Terrible team defense on the secondary. Not all Clements fault on that play but he was being torched all day.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
On the TD play after the timeout in the 1st quater, White burned Goldson to toast. It wasn't even close.

On the other TD play, Clements was pressing him. Clements went for the ball but missed and Roman was too slow to catch him.

-9fA

Nate went for the ball. Roman has no clue how to play safety. He looked like he was going to the sideline for Gatorade.
Originally posted by jones49:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Not Clements or Roman

When Roddy burned Clements on the sideline for that 80 yard td, Roman was playing deep and still didnt come close to making a play. Might as well play 10 on D.

I said the same thing to my friend as the play was developing. Roman is of no use to this team. We might as well play with one less safety and add another pass rusher.
so much for our deepest position
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
The question on the subject line asks who was covering Roddy White? I interpret that question as who was covering Roddy White for the whole game? It was Nate Clements. Now the question could be asking who was covering Roddy White on the 80 yard TD he had when the score was 14-10 ATL and ATL had the ball on their own 4 yard line to start. That was also Nate Clements.

That 80 yard TD play by Roddy White was the changing point in the game. We just got back into the game by scoring 10 unanswered points and had ATL pinned back at their own 4. Nate went for the break up on the Ryan's 3rd down pass and whiffed. Again ROMAN WAS OUT OF POSITION on the safety help over the top. He took a bad angle on the play and Roddy was off to the races.

Terrible team defense on the secondary. Not all Clements fault on that play but he was being torched all day.

To be fair Roman got stuck covering someone Michael Lewis let by...so...lets just call it what it is. The ENTIRE secondary had a horrible game.
Nate got burnt and burnt badly
NO ONE !
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Atlanta is just a faster team than us all around. Some teams are fast but not big. I'm not sure where we fit. Maybe in between. I mean Morgan is big but not fast. Bruce isn;'t fast anymore. Crabs might be.

I mean Roddy White outran Clements, Dre Bly got caught from behind quick (even with the showboating) and Morgan got caught from behind.

Don't get me wrong because Roddy White is fast and all, but it would've been kinda hard for Clements to chase him down when initially he wasn't even facing Roddy's direction. That doesn't indicate speed (or lack thereof), it was just a poor play by Clements. And Dre was hardly running, dumb ass was in a glorified jog so it's no surprise that he got ran down.

I think these posts about how "slow" our defense is are ludicrous. We were plenty fast enough to chase down Adrian Peterson, Steven Jackson, Fitz, Boldin etc.

These all are top tier players in the league, have been for the past few seasons and we had little difficulty containing them with their "speed" and all. Our misfortunes Sunday came down to total lack of proper technique, and focus (e.g. coaching).

We just were not there mentally.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
On the TD play after the timeout in the 1st quater, White burned Goldson to toast. It wasn't even close.

On the other TD play, Clements was pressing him. Clements went for the ball but missed and Roman was too slow to catch him.

-9fA

Roman took a bad angle first and then couldnt catch him. It was definitely more on the safeties than it was the corners.
Share 49ersWebzone