There are 84 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

If the Jets are busted for tampering, what should the punishment be?

If the Jets are busted for tampering, what should the punishment be?

Originally posted by the_woad:
Mark Sanchez's name should be legally changed to Dirty Sanchez.

Why? What did Sanchez do to anybody?
People need to revisit the Bears punishment. We need not lose the 3rd round pick. Our punishment was that we lost a 5th rounder and had to swap 3rd picks with the Bears. Instead of having the 70th pick we had to pick 75.
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
Forget the draft picks. Mike Singletary gets to kick Rex Ryan in the nuts. One kick would be good enough. I lost all respect for that jackass when he said "49ers should feel lucky we don't play them this year."

I don't think that's what he said.

What I heard was "I wish we played them this year."
2 1st rounders..........this is not their first accusation so we need to make an example out of them.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by MaliCali:
people stop...

we wont be receiving a draft pick from them, had Crabtree legitimately held out and never joined the team, then yes, we most likely would have...

now the league likely just takes a slightly high pick from the team and voids it. much like our 5 rounder in regards to Briggs..

one thing i noticed however is that not only did the jets trade for a receiver quite promptly which gets them the big receiver they wanted, but they also use picks in the upcoming draft that would likely get taken away due to the tampering...if found guilty, id suspect the league takes away either their 2nd or 3rd round pick, which ever pick the browns dont get from the Edwards trade...

so if Edwards gets the set amount of catches set forth by the Browns, they receive the Jets 2nd round pick, and the league takes the 3rd round pick from the Jets, if Edwards doesnt get that set amount of catches, the Browns get the 3rd round pick, and the League takes away their 2nd round pick....

this is what i would be looking for should again, the Jets be found guilty of tampering with Crabtree...

and again, we will not receive compensation, unless its some 5th-7th round pick, not because of an East coast bias, but simply because that is obsurd that we would receive a high pick from the team when we actually got the guy signed...

Your logic falls short of full understanding.

If found guilty, I expect the Niners will receive a 4th round or higher draft pick. The Jets have been accused sooo many times, and specificaly in regards to WR's in the last few years that Goodell is going to be forced to make an example of them.

The Bears got a 3rd and we were forced to swap 5ths. This was the result of us talking to an agent about a player that we were considering trading for. The Bears were part of that discussion, and what the Niners did was completely unintentional.

The Jets on the other hand, if found guilty, had EVERY intent to undermine the system in place. They intended to undermine the negotiations and it could be argued, with no way to prove otherwise, that their interference was the ONLY reason Crabtree wasn't in camp and producing for us for the 1st 5 games of this season.

The difference between the 2 situations is intent. We intended to play by the rules, and when we tampered it had little to no affect on the Bears team, and the Bears got a 3rd and we swapped 5ths....

The Jets, if found guilty, clearly intended to and did indeed interfere with Crabtree's availability to be part of our team. I would like to see compensation that goes like this.

Whcih ever round pick the Jets have between their 2nd or 3rd, dependant on the Edwards deal, would be swapped for our pick in the round after.

So if they have their 2nd, they are forced to swap for our 3rd.....if they have thier 3rd, they are forced to swap for our 4th, with NO other penalties.

IMO thats fair for the Niners, and enough penalty for the Jets to deter them from pushing the tampering envelope year after year.

I don't think the Bears got any picks from us aside from theforced swap. The league just docked our 5th round pick. The only compensation the Bears got was the swapped 3rd rounders. I remember reading that from one of the Matts not too long ago.

That being said, the situations are not the same. No harm was done to the Bears. This situation is much worse so the penalties should fit accordingly.

[ Edited by 49erRider on Oct 8, 2009 at 11:30:14 ]
Originally posted by 49erRider:
people stop...

we wont be receiving a draft pick from them, had Crabtree legitimately held out and never joined the team, then yes, we most likely would have...

now the league likely just takes a slightly high pick from the team and voids it. much like our 5 rounder in regards to Briggs..

one thing i noticed however is that not only did the jets trade for a receiver quite promptly which gets them the big receiver they wanted, but they also use picks in the upcoming draft that would likely get taken away due to the tampering...if found guilty, id suspect the league takes away either their 2nd or 3rd round pick, which ever pick the browns dont get from the Edwards trade...

so if Edwards gets the set amount of catches set forth by the Browns, they receive the Jets 2nd round pick, and the league takes the 3rd round pick from the Jets, if Edwards doesnt get that set amount of catches, the Browns get the 3rd round pick, and the League takes away their 2nd round pick....

this is what i would be looking for should again, the Jets be found guilty of tampering with Crabtree...

and again, we will not receive compensation, unless its some 5th-7th round pick, not because of an East coast bias, but simply because that is obsurd that we would receive a high pick from the team when we actually got the guy signed...

If found guilty, I expect the Niners will receive a 4th round or higher draft pick. The Jets have been accused sooo many times, and specificaly in regards to WR's in the last few years that Goodell is going to be forced to make an example of them.

The Bears got a 3rd and we were forced to swap 5ths. This was the result of us talking to an agent about a player that we were considering trading for. The Bears were part of that discussion, and what the Niners did was completely unintentional.

The Jets on the other hand, if found guilty, had EVERY intent to undermine the system in place. They intended to undermine the negotiations and it could be argued, with no way to prove otherwise, that their interference was the ONLY reason Crabtree wasn't in camp and producing for us for the 1st 5 games of this season.

The difference between the 2 situations is intent. We intended to play by the rules, and when we tampered it had little to no affect on the Bears team, and the Bears got a 3rd and we swapped 5ths....

The Jets, if found guilty, clearly intended to and did indeed interfere with Crabtree's availability to be part of our team. I would like to see compensation that goes like this.

Whcih ever round pick the Jets have between their 2nd or 3rd, dependant on the Edwards deal, would be swapped for our pick in the round after.

So if they have their 2nd, they are forced to swap for our 3rd.....if they have thier 3rd, they are forced to swap for our 4th, with NO other penalties.

IMO thats fair for the Niners, and enough penalty for the Jets to deter them from pushing the tampering envelope year after year.

I don't think the Bears got a 3rd round pick from us. The league just docked the pick. The only compensation the Bears got was the swapped 5th rounders. I remember reading that from one of the Matts not too long ago.

omg you are both incorrect, jesus, dont debate a topic if you dont know what you are talking about..

and WINiner, i stopped reading your response at that point as well, as i cant take someone serious who thinks they can come in with a reasonable opinion without actually knowing any facts..

we lost our 5th round pick and were forced to trade picks within the 3rd round with the bears..how do you think we drafted Reggie Smith with no 3rd round pick?

http://www.49erswebzone.com/draft/2008/

take a look at that years draft, no 5th round pick and our 3rd round pick 5 spots behind our draft round position, number 7..

Originally posted by 49erRider:
people stop...

I don't think the Bears got a 3rd round pick from us. The league just docked the pick. The only compensation the Bears got was the swapped 5th rounders. I remember reading that from one of the Matts not too long ago.

omg you are both incorrect, jesus, dont debate a topic if you dont know what you are talking about..

and WINiner, i stopped reading your response at that point as well, as i cant take someone serious who thinks they can come in with a reasonable opinion without actually knowing any facts..

we lost our 5th round pick and were forced to trade picks within the 3rd round with the bears..how do you think we drafted Reggie Smith with no 3rd round pick?

http://www.49erswebzone.com/draft/2008/

take a look at that years draft, no 5th round pick and our 3rd round pick 5 spots behind our draft round position, number 7..

Yes I know. I remembered exactly what had happened and edited my post before I ever saw your little response. Check the edit time and compare it to your post time - they were done at exactly the same time. So get off your high horse, you aren't the only person who remembers what happened.
  • SANDMAN
  • Info N/A
If the Jets are found guilty of tampering I think the punishment will be minimal. Maybe a mid-round draft pick. The Jet's have already traded away some picks to the Browns in the Edwards deal. There is a very slim chance the Niners get a first or second round pick.
Force Rex Ryan to go on a diet and run suicides everyday.

...and throw in a 3rd and a 6th round pick.
I'm not on any high horse..knowing facts is simply being correct.

what i was saying wasn't really directed towards you either..

this forum has a very huge case of people having no idea what they are talking about and just blabbing on about it however.

as i said before, the league will probably dock the 2nd or 3rd round pick from the team, if that...if we receive any compensation it wouldnt be any higher than a 5th rounder....had Crabtree actually never joined, that would have been a completely different case..
2 1st rounders + a 1st rounder for each and every day that resulted from their tampering.

Followed up with the death sentence.

No team would dare attempt to muck with someone else's draft pick ever again.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by krizay:
With no 3rd or 5th. I see a 4th round pick. But who knows if Goddell thinks it may have cost us 4 games of Crabtree services it may be a higher pick.

Anything's better than nothing.

I agree, something is better than nothing. The problem I have is that we didn't have Crabs all of training camp AND 4 games plus this next one. He's too far behind to be the impact in week 7-8 and even 9 than he would have been had he been in camp. I don't think we'll get anything more than a 4th round pick, but we should.
The fact Crabtree has now signed with us limits any compensation we will receive imo. I doubt we get anything close to a first day pick, even if the charges are proven.

And I think the Jets may get docked two late picks (like a 4th & 6th, or 5th & 7th). We would likely collect on of the docked picks and the other would simply be forfeit.
Originally posted by alanbeez22:

Damn I love that hit. I remember hearing it all the way across the 'stick.