There are 130 users in the forums

If the Jets are busted for tampering, what should the punishment be?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

If the Jets are busted for tampering, what should the punishment be?

• cools
  • Veteran
I think it will be thier 1rst round pick, I hope they get busted, and then i cant wait to hear the Jets fans go nuts at the draft when its our pick (that they had to give us)
Commish may want to up the security for the next draft

I think they already traded the 2nd for Edwards
,what if the Jets know they are gonna get busted
and trade away thier 1rst for a player, then Commish cant take away any early 2010 picks ?
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
should be their 1st if goodell wants to possibly end tampering once and for all especially since they were messing with a top 10 pick. but possibly i can see us getting their 2nd. i can dream of having 3 1sts right?????

i dont think thats too far off. a 1st and maybe 2nd or 3rd. crabtree was a 10th overall pick that they tried to keep us from signing. if Goodell wants to make a statement about tampering, this is how he does it.
Excommunication!
since we signed crabtree to basically what we wanted from the beginning i doubt we get "rewarded". but i would not be surprised if the jets lose out on a lot. if mr goodell wants to make a point i do not thini he will make it by rewarding the other team.

then again by setting a precedent off rewarding the team, it may encourage other teams to "snitch" hoping for compensation. which would end the understanding the owners have to not be tattle tales.
First the Jets make it to the Super Bowl ------ and we beat the holy crap out of them. Then the Commish takes away a couple of their draft picks and sends them our way and we use them very wisely along with our own.

My momma always said that I had an overly active imagination.
Death and dismemberment
Originally posted by RonMexico:
anal?

Surrender the franchise to Rush Limbaugh
Originally posted by MaliCali:
people stop...

we wont be receiving a draft pick from them, had Crabtree legitimately held out and never joined the team, then yes, we most likely would have...

now the league likely just takes a slightly high pick from the team and voids it. much like our 5 rounder in regards to Briggs..

one thing i noticed however is that not only did the jets trade for a receiver quite promptly which gets them the big receiver they wanted, but they also use picks in the upcoming draft that would likely get taken away due to the tampering...if found guilty, id suspect the league takes away either their 2nd or 3rd round pick, which ever pick the browns dont get from the Edwards trade...

so if Edwards gets the set amount of catches set forth by the Browns, they receive the Jets 2nd round pick, and the league takes the 3rd round pick from the Jets, if Edwards doesnt get that set amount of catches, the Browns get the 3rd round pick, and the League takes away their 2nd round pick....

this is what i would be looking for should again, the Jets be found guilty of tampering with Crabtree...

and again, we will not receive compensation, unless its some 5th-7th round pick, not because of an East coast bias, but simply because that is obsurd that we would receive a high pick from the team when we actually got the guy signed...

Your logic falls short of full understanding.

If found guilty, I expect the Niners will receive a 4th round or higher draft pick. The Jets have been accused sooo many times, and specificaly in regards to WR's in the last few years that Goodell is going to be forced to make an example of them.

The Bears got a 3rd and we were forced to swap 5ths. This was the result of us talking to an agent about a player that we were considering trading for. The Bears were part of that discussion, and what the Niners did was completely unintentional.

The Jets on the other hand, if found guilty, had EVERY intent to undermine the system in place. They intended to undermine the negotiations and it could be argued, with no way to prove otherwise, that their interference was the ONLY reason Crabtree wasn't in camp and producing for us for the 1st 5 games of this season.

The difference between the 2 situations is intent. We intended to play by the rules, and when we tampered it had little to no affect on the Bears team, and the Bears got a 3rd and we swapped 5ths....

The Jets, if found guilty, clearly intended to and did indeed interfere with Crabtree's availability to be part of our team. I would like to see compensation that goes like this.

Whcih ever round pick the Jets have between their 2nd or 3rd, dependant on the Edwards deal, would be swapped for our pick in the round after.

So if they have their 2nd, they are forced to swap for our 3rd.....if they have thier 3rd, they are forced to swap for our 4th, with NO other penalties.

IMO thats fair for the Niners, and enough penalty for the Jets to deter them from pushing the tampering envelope year after year.

[ Edited by WINiner on Oct 8, 2009 at 06:33:16 ]
I think the league will look at the only other tampering case proved (against the 49ers obviously) and use that as a benchmark.

Since the niners lost a first day pick (3rd) and were forced to swap back in the draft (5th round) with Chicago I expect the same to happen here - but this is a more serious breach if proven for all the reasons outlined above regarding messing with the rookie system and the entire draft basically.......and this is so much higher profile with Crabtree's holdout so documented.

So, I think the league forfeits the Jets 2nd round pick (whether the niners get it or not I don't know - I suspect not!) and then if the Jets have a lower draft slot I suspect that the league will make the Jets swap their 3rd round slot with the niners.

If the Niners have a lower slot in a round than the Jets (which I clearly hope they don't!) then I suspect the League will forfeit a lower round pick (say 5th) and pass this directly to the niners.

no dinner for rex ryan.
we wont get much since crabtree signed with us so well probaly get a mid round pick
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
since we signed crabtree to basically what we wanted from the beginning i doubt we get "rewarded". but i would not be surprised if the jets lose out on a lot. if mr goodell wants to make a point i do not thini he will make it by rewarding the other team.

then again by setting a precedent off rewarding the team, it may encourage other teams to "snitch" hoping for compensation. which would end the understanding the owners have to not be tattle tales.

but don't lose sight of the fact that the Bears kept Briggs but were rewarded. Its punishment for the tampering, not how effective the tampering was.
Make Rex Ryan go on "So you think you can dance"
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by MaliCali:
people stop...

we wont be receiving a draft pick from them, had Crabtree legitimately held out and never joined the team, then yes, we most likely would have...

now the league likely just takes a slightly high pick from the team and voids it. much like our 5 rounder in regards to Briggs..

one thing i noticed however is that not only did the jets trade for a receiver quite promptly which gets them the big receiver they wanted, but they also use picks in the upcoming draft that would likely get taken away due to the tampering...if found guilty, id suspect the league takes away either their 2nd or 3rd round pick, which ever pick the browns dont get from the Edwards trade...
I still think a first round pick has to part of the fine paid to the Niners!

so if Edwards gets the set amount of catches set forth by the Browns, they receive the Jets 2nd round pick, and the league takes the 3rd round pick from the Jets, if Edwards doesnt get that set amount of catches, the Browns get the 3rd round pick, and the League takes away their 2nd round pick....

this is what i would be looking for should again, the Jets be found guilty of tampering with Crabtree...

and again, we will not receive compensation, unless its some 5th-7th round pick, not because of an East coast bias, but simply because that is obsurd that we would receive a high pick from the team when we actually got the guy signed...

Your logic falls short of full understanding.

If found guilty, I expect the Niners will receive a 4th round or higher draft pick. The Jets have been accused sooo many times, and specificaly in regards to WR's in the last few years that Goodell is going to be forced to make an example of them.

The Bears got a 3rd and we were forced to swap 5ths. This was the result of us talking to an agent about a player that we were considering trading for. The Bears were part of that discussion, and what the Niners did was completely unintentional.

The Jets on the other hand, if found guilty, had EVERY intent to undermine the system in place. They intended to undermine the negotiations and it could be argued, with no way to prove otherwise, that their interference was the ONLY reason Crabtree wasn't in camp and producing for us for the 1st 5 games of this season.

The difference between the 2 situations is intent. We intended to play by the rules, and when we tampered it had little to no affect on the Bears team, and the Bears got a 3rd and we swapped 5ths....

The Jets, if found guilty, clearly intended to and did indeed interfere with Crabtree's availability to be part of our team. I would like to see compensation that goes like this.

Whcih ever round pick the Jets have between their 2nd or 3rd, dependant on the Edwards deal, would be swapped for our pick in the round after.

So if they have their 2nd, they are forced to swap for our 3rd.....if they have thier 3rd, they are forced to swap for our 4th, with NO other penalties.

IMO thats fair for the Niners, and enough penalty for the Jets to deter them from pushing the tampering envelope year after year.
Share 49ersWebzone