There are 186 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Gores injury, a blessing in disguise?

i dont think it's a blessing in disguise because he's our best player and we need him on the field, but i do agree that we should work on the passing game
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Excellent point. Time for the coaching staff to find other ways to win besides relying on Gore's legs.

Hopefully this occurs, one man does not make a team.
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
i dont think it's a blessing in disguise because he's our best player and we need him on the field, but i do agree that we should work on the passing game

i'm gonna go with you on this one. as much as i want them to start passing, i'd much rather have gore as an option to pound the rock. this just gives us a chance to let coffee and maybe sheets to step up. maybe that in itself will be the blessing -- giving our young backs experience.

but let's hope they let shaun hill unleash his dink and dunk dissection of the other teams!
"The 49ers will evaluate Frank Gore's ankle on Monday. They will give serious consideration to promoting Kory Sheets from practice squad." -MM

This is the best news I've heard all day... besides the fact that even though we lost today we're still two important steps ahead of our entire division!
Originally posted by kstolai:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Excellent point. Time for the coaching staff to find other ways to win besides relying on Gore's legs.

Hopefully this occurs, one man does not make a team.

At least thats what the coaching staff seems to preach, but when it comes to Gore there seems to be a double standard. Its like the coaching staff goes out of their way to say this is "Gores Offense," yet ever year he's hurt for at least 2 -3 games.
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:

But thats the point, as long as Gore is an option passing is an after thought for Jimmy Raye and co. I want Gore back too, but I'm just saying this might give an opportunity for the rest of the team and coaching to get the recievers involved. With our defense we are a threat in the playoffs if we can run and pass.
I agree with the OP.
They have had a decent passing game, but I think Sing wanted to save it to win important games, not have it as a basic offensive strategy.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I just think it speed up the development of Glen Coffee. He did good in his first NFL game.

I was thinking more along these lines, bc it doesn't seem like we have a whole lot of plays (in general) to choose from. Maybe its by plan or we just don't have the "skilled" players to run different stuff. Play calling was predictable yesterday....it had to be to be "0" on 3rd down conversions.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
We need to throw more on 1st down.
"The offense starts and ends with number 21"

OK, what now?
  • jaghetersofie
  • Info N/A
Bring Sheets up and we've got our own White/Johnson. I think Sheets has a lot to offer this team.He is an extremely elusive back and we need a change of pace back, somebody who can break a 15 yard run or make 2 guys miss and go the distance.

I remember hearing something about him having ball security issues? If so, that obviously doesn't work with our keep-away/field-position game plan but now with Gore absence maybe Rathman will work with Sheets and make him a consistent home-run threat out of the back-field.

Hope Frank isn't out for too long though, if he stays in the game yesterday I think we're looking at a 3-0 start.
Originally posted by 9erluv415:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I just think it speed up the development of Glen Coffee. He did good in his first NFL game.

I was thinking more along these lines, bc it doesn't seem like we have a whole lot of plays (in general) to choose from. Maybe its by plan or we just don't have the "skilled" players to run different stuff. Play calling was predictable yesterday....it had to be to be "0" on 3rd down conversions.

Not sure that the coaches would throw too much at Coffee yesterday since he's a rookie and his first game, but at the same time they must have got an idea Gore may be iffy for the game and prepared Coffee for it

We'll know about Coffee against the Rams. I think he'll be good
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I never like to see a player get injured, especially a Niner and even worst Gore. But, maybe the two weeks of sitting Gore will force our coaches/team to depend a little more on the pass. As long as Gore is in the game he will always be our bread and butter, but I think our passing game is a lot better than you would think. What would be ideal is for our passing game to find a rhythm so the coaches are more comfortable putting the game in Shaun's hands or at least letting him bare some of the load and not just when they absolutely have to. If we really want to be a championship team we need a balanced attack, not just a ho hum run team.

yeah i agree , look at the connection between Hill and VD , but we need more of Morgan and less of Bruce cuz he won't be here next year !
Maybe it will turn out OK.... we'll see..

It's unfortunate that Gore got hurt, but good teams overcome injuries, even to their top players. This will be a test for us to see exactly how well we respond to this bit of adversity.

I think that Coffee can step up and do a good job of filling in. He played OK against the toughest run defense we will face all year. That's a rough way to get your feet wet.

Hopefully, this will force Raye and the offensive philosophy to become more balanced. I never liked the idea that 60-40, run first team, and that Gore would be the bell cow.