LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 158 users in the forums

Gores injury, a blessing in disguise?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
While I wouldn't go so far as to say Gore missing games is a blessing, I do think it is a big test & an opportunity for the rest of the offense. And it is good this test is being presented to them early in the season, instead of later.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Not a blessing but a time for everyone else to step up. Gore goes down and VD gets two TDs. Now we'll get to see what the rest of the O has to offer, we know what we got in Gore.
Originally posted by NCommand:
I thought about that too. Good point. Ppl were saying this game will prove Hill's skills. Well, he did a fantastic job. Next week should tell us everything we need to know about Raye b/c he can't hang his hat on Gore. We also have a banged up o-line now too so that running game is going to struggle even more now. We need to bring up Sheets b/c we need some speed off tackle to change things up and keep the defense honest!

I agree, GET SHEETS OFF THE PS
The OP had an interesting thought, but we played most of the MN game missing Gore and I didn't see much change in our playcalling at all.

Maybe that changes when they have a chance to gameplan knowing they won't have Gore, but Raye & Sing seem to be pretty committed to running the ball come hell or high water.
i predict a HUGE game by josh morgan.
Originally posted by Overkill:
The OP had an interesting thought, but we played most of the MN game missing Gore and I didn't see much change in our playcalling at all.

Maybe that changes when they have a chance to gameplan knowing they won't have Gore, but Raye & Sing seem to be pretty committed to running the ball come hell or high water.

That's exactly why we drafted Coffee with our first pick. If Gore ever had to take a break, or got injured, the game plan wouldn't be that much different.

The games will probably look the same.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ermj:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by krizay:
Memphis9er = unabashed Hill hater

I'm at work so I don't have to break down every series, but stats doen't tell the whole story. Anybody who is watching the game can cleary see that we are way too predictable.

BTW, the firt drive should be thrown out. On the first play Allen caused a fumble (after not being called for encroachment) which set us back 7 yards (17 total). That is a deep hole to be in at the back of your own endzone where the noise is the loadest at the very first drive of the game.

Like I said, stats dont tell the whole story....

Then wouldn't that be all the more reason to go vanilla and run on 2nd and 3rd down?

What did I say that would make you think I would disagree with your statement? My point is you can't just point to three and outs when passing and say, "our passing game sucks." The odds where stacked against them to pass yet they did, which in reality only proves my point that Jimmy Raye is brain dead...

But you can point to 3 & outs and say our OC sucks? I gotcha

My point was it wasn't just run run run punt like posters on here would lead you to believe. they're under the impression that if we let Hill loose he can/will shine. I was merely showing examples of Hill not being held back as much as posters are lead to believe.

Hill isn't the kind of QB that can/will lead down the field on a consistant basis whether we run run run or mix it up with a couple pass plays. He's just not good enough. And that is why our passing game sucks. Well that and the O-line. You can put it on Raye all you guys want. But he has nothing to work with to feature the passing game. Trying to do so would only prove your point of him being brain dead.

I don't want to repeatedly keep defending Hill but Hill has shown that he can do it. It helps when you allow your QB to build a rythm rather than expect him to throw one pass every 3 or 4 downs and most of those separated passes were not under the most comfortable situations.

When Gore got injured, our Bell Cow is Shaun Hill. Let him build a rythm and get confidence.

Who knows, Raye could have a big plan give Hill a few games and more experience in his offense before he lets him go or maybe Raye does not have enough of a playbook and everything could be shown in one entire quarter, but Hill is now the Bell Cow and they need to adjust their gameplan as they have been forced to do for one or two drives a game.

As the other poster has pointed he can do it , but not a regular basis , review the games it's pretty much one drive a game , either it's Hill , Raye a combo of both but either way 1 drive a game is just not good enough

Exactly, A lot of members on this board tend to only look at positive things and try and portray that one positive thing and equate that over a course of the game. While totally disregarding Everything else that happens or players shortcomings.

It's not that Raye opens up the book all of a sudden. It's just law of averages say that this is Hill's one or two drives that he can actually do something. The play calling has been mixed. Unfortunately our QB play and oline play has also been mixed. Which leads to this perception.

Truth be told if our defense was as bad as it was when Rattay was starting. And we were behind early and often like Rattay was and the defense knew we were throwing. We'd be saying the same things about Hill as we heard about Dorsey/Smith/Pickett/Dilfer & Rattay. Only difference, we're not down early and often.
Originally posted by 49erForLife420:
Originally posted by NCommand:
I thought about that too. Good point. Ppl were saying this game will prove Hill's skills. Well, he did a fantastic job. Next week should tell us everything we need to know about Raye b/c he can't hang his hat on Gore. We also have a banged up o-line now too so that running game is going to struggle even more now. We need to bring up Sheets b/c we need some speed off tackle to change things up and keep the defense honest!

I agree, GET SHEETS OFF THE PS

Hopefully Sheets has learned how to block by now.
NO.

I think our passing game is going to open up a lot since not only Gore is out, but even Singletary digressed during the Monday interview that he'll try something else if what we're doing isn't working (he's contradicting himself in a good way).

Coffee put it himself when he said he wasn't ready (at the time) for all that weight, well this week he's going to be ready, and he's going to engage his responsibility.

Something tells me though Vernon Davis is going to have the biggest game of his entire career next Sunday. (2 red-zone strikes and a 40 yard bomb to the promised land, racking up 120 yds with 8 receptions.)

I never like to see a player get injured, especially a Niner and even worst Gore. But, maybe the two weeks of sitting Gore will force our coaches/team to depend a little more on the pass. As long as Gore is in the game he will always be our bread and butter, but I think our passing game is a lot better than you would think. What would be ideal is for our passing game to find a rhythm so the coaches are more comfortable putting the game in Shaun's hands or at least letting him bare some of the load and not just when they absolutely have to. If we really want to be a championship team we need a balanced attack, not just a ho hum run team.

I didn't think of it that way, good point man
  • B650
  • Veteran

Share 49ersWebzone