There are 110 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers accuse Jets of Tampering *Updated*

Originally posted by pd24:
Quote:
Parker will be a key figure in the tampering case, too
Posted by Mike Florio on September 28, 2009 10:59 AM ET
We mentioned on Sunday the report from ESPN's Chris Mortensen regarding the possibility that the Michael Crabtree tampering investigation will include an interview of Deion Sanders, a league employee (via NFL Network) who created the current mess by talking on the air about the notion that two teams are willing to pay Crabtree twice the amount that the 49ers have placed on the table.

There's another key figure in the tampering investigation: Agent Eugene Parker.

Parker isn't required to cooperate, and he likely won't. But, if he doesn't, he won't be able to rebut any information that the 49ers might provide regarding things that Parker said to them about, for example, the Jets' interest in Crabtree.

The Jets surely will deny making any such statements -- and that's why, as Michael Lombardi pointed out last week on Inside the NFL, tampering is so rampant.

Basically, they all cheat, and then they all lie to cover up their cheating.

In this case, however, it'll be interesting to see how the league handles the conflicting information. If, on one hand, the Niners says that Parker said something that would indicate tampering by the Jets and if, on the other hand, the Jets predictably deny it, how will it be resolved?

By choosing to remain silent, Parker could be giving credence to the Niners' position. If, after all, Parker had nothing to hide, he'd talk. Moreover, if the Jets truly are a potential suitor for Crabtree's services, Parker would want to avoid doing anything that might remove them as an option. Needless to say, if Parker were to snitch on the Jets, they probably would lose interest in his client. (And, possibly, in some of his other clients.)

Meanwhile, we're hopeful that the ongoing CBA discussions (the next meeting is scheduled for tomorrow) will include negotiations regarding a joint mechanism for securing mandatory cooperation from agents in cases like this. Though the NFL has no power over any of them, the NFLPA exclusively regulates their work. So while Commissioner Roger Goodell can't force Parker to talk, De Smith can. And Goodell and Smith need to realize that an atmosphere of brazen cheating does nothing to advance the long-term interests of the game, even if it sometimes helps a player finagle more money in the short-term, or a team to get a player that it covets.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/28/parker-will-be-a-key-figure-in-the-tampering-case-too/

I don't think the NFL has an option on how to handle it. It sounds quite clear in the NFL's Anti-Tampering policy.

"3. Contract problems or other disputes subsequently arise between the player and Club B (for example, the player's failure to report on time to Club B). In circumstances like those of the example above, tampering will be found even in the absence of a demonstrated cause-and-effect relationship between the player's contract problems and his prior involvement with the other club. In other words, a club will not be able to defend a tampering charge in these circumstances by asserting that its private contact with a player (or the player's representative) did not involve any expression of interest in the player or was not related in any way to the player's subsequent contract problem with his club."

Policy
[ Edited by D_Niner on Sep 28, 2009 at 9:54 AM ]
so when will we know the ruling??
I wouldn't hold my breath or anything.
Originally posted by Juniorminime:
so when will we know the ruling??

I feel that it won't happen until the outcome has been determined. If the Niners sign him before Nov 17. It come soon after the signing. If he doesn't sign, then you could see real harsh penalties soon after the 17th. IMO
[ Edited by Giant9er on Sep 28, 2009 at 11:28 AM ]
I HATE how the media is swinging on the jets nuts. It's annoying as hell.
I'm starting to wonder why this is taking so long, and when they nailed us it was over rather quickly.
If it's taking this long, I doubt anything happens.
Originally posted by mitpdub:
I'm starting to wonder why this is taking so long, and when they nailed us it was over rather quickly.

Originally posted by blunt_probe:
If it's taking this long, I doubt anything happens.

Actually the charge filed against us (within the Lance Briggs case) wasn't surfaced until the ruling/punishment against us had actually happened. Matt Maiocco mentioned a while back, that Chicago had filed the charges 4-5 months before the situation went public.

These aren't cases that go through fast (whether they're against a crappy team, or a spotlight team), specially now with all the pending lock-outs/cap-less year possibilities.

A thorough investigation is already being made as we speak, we just probably won't find out our tampering results, nor Tennessee's charges against the Redskins (Haynesworth-gate) until February or March.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Sep 30, 2009 at 11:00 PM ]
they contacted deion
Originally posted by WestCoast:
they contacted deion

It's because I sent Goodell an email saying he better look into NEON pink Deion.

just kidding,

GO NINERS 3-1 I hope after week 4.

Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

yeah i hate the jets. ryan is an ass and the media loves sanchez. but what i dont get is for a while the jets were pretty gay and worthless, but even though they failed with favre ever since they made that trade theyve been a trendy team. the jets are f**king gay and i hope they go 3-13, even though theyll probably make the playoffs.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

yeah i hate the jets. ryan is an ass and the media loves sanchez. but what i dont get is for a while the jets were pretty gay and worthless, but even though they failed with favre ever since they made that trade theyve been a trendy team. the jets are f**king gay and i hope they go 3-13, even though theyll probably make the playoffs.

the media loves the jets because theyre from new york. Jets and Giants are always on NFLN and ESPN because they are east coast teams and they happen to be playing well right now. the east coast bias is alive and well
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

i hope the saints destroy the jets
Giants,Jets,Knicks,Yanks and Mets. ESPN has a big apple fetish. Yankees aint won a world series in 10 years and you'd think they won em all since '95 if you drink the ESPN Kool Aid. The NFL could send a big message by making them pay for this. We all know they did it. If I was accused of something I didnt do, I sure as hell do more than a couple statements calling the accusations false. Guilty as charged.
Jets fans are the only fans that boo their first round pick in the draft year in and year out. I don't remember a year since I have been watching the draft (since early 90's) that they haven't boo'd there pick. East coast teams get alot more love on ESPN and NFLN because of their "East Coast Bias". Goodell will find a way to screw th Niners on this, mark my words.