There are 230 users in the forums

Are we 2-0 if Alex was starting?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are we 2-0 if Alex was starting?

• fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Cuphalffull:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Would Alex Smith have converted 4 third downs in a row on that drive in Arizona ? Or is it more likely he wouldve thrown it out of bounds, just to be "safe" ? You think Smith coulf effectively lead a drive that involves at least 14-15 passing plays without turning the ball over ?

If you think Yes, the you're obviously kidding yourself. Alex Smith was inconsistent, and had to rely HEAVILY on Gore's legs to succeed. Hill has shown that he can beat a SB contender with NO running game + playing on the road.

Get over it. Alex is a bust, and that has been acknowledged by the majority of the media covering this league.

I am not an Alex lover by an means but let’s be fair. Hill has rode Gore’s legs just as much as Alex did in 07. Without Gore last week, we lose plain and simple. Neither QB is great. Both are servicable at best.

but hill is not on pace to match alex's yards.......
  • fan49
  • Veteran
and to any numbnuts that said no, wtf has hill done? jumped on frankies back, thrown a few short passes. hes not even getting 200 yards a game. prolly not even 150 yard avg. so so far alex played better in 06 than hill is right now! i remember some bombs to both ab's..... i dont see hill doing anything like that. ill correct myself 176 yards a game still not good. smith just so you guys know, the only year you can rate had a rating of 74.8. which is not as bad as the haters would like to think.
[ Edited by fan49 on Sep 23, 2009 at 3:13 PM ]
Originally posted by fan49:
and to any numbnuts that said no, wtf has hill done? jumped on frankies back, thrown a few short passes. hes not even getting 200 yards a game. prolly not even 150 yard avg. so so far alex played better in 07 than hill is right now! i remember some bombs to both ab's..... i dont see hill doing anything like that.

False: check out their percentages and rating.
wow. Guys, the season has started.....we don't have to play pretend anymore
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
and to any numbnuts that said no, wtf has hill done? jumped on frankies back, thrown a few short passes. hes not even getting 200 yards a game. prolly not even 150 yard avg. so so far alex played better in 07 than hill is right now! i remember some bombs to both ab's..... i dont see hill doing anything like that.

i meant 06 which is the only year u can judge him off of.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
no one can deny they wouldnt throw as many in the box, because alex can throw the deep ball. so in reality gore would have gotten more yards against arizona!!!
[ Edited by fan49 on Sep 23, 2009 at 3:15 PM ]
Originally posted by rob28:
hell no. one of the reasons we are 2-0 is that we aint making the costly mistakes. alex would have thrown a couple int's already and he would have lost a game or both.

(LOL).... I guess you forget to mention that wonderful rainbow of a floating wobbler that Hill attempted in last weeks Hawks game down the field trying to connect with Isac Bruce, but Bruce had to turn defensive back and swat it away before it became a INT.... remember that one?

After that Hill, got very, very conservative and never tried another mid deep or deep pass again.

He better be able to connect with our WR's in Vikes game only if a bit more, or I smell trouble.

Even then.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
As much as I have given up on small hands I think we'd still be 2-0. Shaun Hill was steady and consistent when he needed to be but had a bunch of plays disrupted because of his pocket presence and side armed delivery. I think Alex, against the Cards and Hawks would do a little better in the passing game and hence, we'd still probably win and be 2-0.

Who could say, but we would have at least 1 or 2 ints thrown by now. If that would have happened in the Tard game, we could have lost. But who knows.

Hill should have been intercepted numerous times in the Arizona game. He got very lucky.

All things set aside, I believe we'd still be 2-0 right now with the way our D is playing. Hill has been very average so far, and I don't doubt that Alex could've played at least as well.

Well the same can be said of this weeks opponent Favre-he gets very lucky

as throws in places he shouldn't and that's not me but countless commentators including madden. Or a lot of QBs.
  • fan49
  • Veteran

Even then.

joe so sarcasm aside, do you not agree that the box would not be as stacked if alex were in there beacause he can throw the deep ball? and better imo from mid to deep.
[ Edited by fan49 on Sep 23, 2009 at 3:17 PM ]

• DVDA
  • Veteran
We'll never know... we'll never know

Even then.

joe so sarcasm aside, do you not agree that the box would not be as stacked if alex were in there beacause he can throw the deep ball? and better imo from mid to deep.

The box has always been stacked against Alex. Remember, he's not an accurate thrower, even on the deep balls.
Lets be honest here.... If Alex Smith had Shaun Hills current Q,B, stat's after these 2 games most of you would "scream" for Alex to be replaced.

Shaun is playing very, very average Q.B. football and his current stat's reflect that.

But YES, who can not be happy at 2-0 as a team?

Bottom Line: Shaun has to step up his Q.B. play and clearly PROVE he can hit our W.R.'s downfield.

I heard a report that Shaun is like 1 for 9 this season trying to connect down field after 2 games.

1 for 9 is not a good thing no matter how you want to spin it.
No, Alex takes chances with the football, chances that seem to turn into picks, or 3 and outs. Alex would give the opposition more possessions in a game and that puts more pressure on our D tires them out and results in losses. So I gotta say NO
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
No, Alex takes chances with the football, chances that seem to turn into picks, or 3 and outs. Alex would give the opposition more possessions in a game and that puts more pressure on our D tires them out and results in losses. So I gotta say NO

Uhmmm..... just to set the record straight. Alex Smith has always been critized for being to careful and not taking chances throwing the ball.
Share 49ersWebzone