LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 341 users in the forums

Are we 2-0 if Alex was starting?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are we 2-0 if Alex was starting?

• Axl49
  • Veteran
ima say yes. Simply that our d has played awesowm and frank gore won us the second. Hill hasnt been lights out either he made some terrible throws tha AZ too. so ima say yes. ok let me hear it lol
Originally posted by NJNiner:
Originally posted by backontop:
I somehow doubt we would be 2-0 w/AS. Alex seems too timid and appears to play scared where Hill plays with more grit and guts than Alex.

I think Smith played like that in the past. He played with confidence during the preseason. like Singletary stated, Smith has matured as an NFL QB and player.

When Alex goes up against a D like Hill saw in week one against the cards, he gets flustered and makes bad decisions with the ball. Hill did not.

Thats odd because he didn't seem to do that in any of the preseason games. Nice assumption though

Hahaha! If Alex was so good in the preseason, than why did he lose the job to Hill?

Did I say he was great? No I just said that he has matured as a QB and has shown the same accuracy as Hill. And the reason that Hill KEPT the starting job was because Singletary feels comfortable in what he has in Hill. He did state that he knows what he has with Hill. He also stated that he did not know what he had in Smith yet. But way to go in twisting words
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Would Alex Smith have converted 4 third downs in a row on that drive in Arizona ? Or is it more likely he wouldve thrown it out of bounds, just to be "safe" ? You think Smith coulf effectively lead a drive that involves at least 14-15 passing plays without turning the ball over ?

If you think Yes, the you're obviously kidding yourself. Alex Smith was inconsistent, and had to rely HEAVILY on Gore's legs to succeed. Hill has shown that he can beat a SB contender with NO running game + playing on the road.

Get over it. Alex is a bust, and that has been acknowledged by the majority of the media covering this league.

I am not an Alex lover by an means but let’s be fair. Hill has rode Gore’s legs just as much as Alex did in 07. Without Gore last week, we lose plain and simple. Neither QB is great. Both are servicable at best.
I somehow doubt we would be 2-0 w/AS. Alex seems too timid and appears to play scared where Hill plays with more grit and guts than Alex.

I think Smith played like that in the past. He played with confidence during the preseason. like Singletary stated, Smith has matured as an NFL QB and player.

When Alex goes up against a D like Hill saw in week one against the cards, he gets flustered and makes bad decisions with the ball. Hill did not.

Thats odd because he didn't seem to do that in any of the preseason games. Nice assumption though

Hahaha! If Alex was so good in the preseason, than why did he lose the job to Hill?

Did I say he was great? No I just said that he has matured as a QB and has shown the same accuracy as Hill. And the reason that Hill KEPT the starting job was because Singletary feels comfortable in what he has in Hill. He did state that he knows what he has with Hill. He also stated that he did not know what he had in Smith yet. But way to go in twisting words

Whatever man. We agree to disagree. Go get yourself a cold one and relax.
[ Edited by NJNiner on Sep 23, 2009 at 1:36 PM ]
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by Cuphalffull:
Would Alex Smith have converted 4 third downs in a row on that drive in Arizona ? Or is it more likely he wouldve thrown it out of bounds, just to be "safe" ? You think Smith coulf effectively lead a drive that involves at least 14-15 passing plays without turning the ball over ?

If you think Yes, the you're obviously kidding yourself. Alex Smith was inconsistent, and had to rely HEAVILY on Gore's legs to succeed. Hill has shown that he can beat a SB contender with NO running game + playing on the road.

Get over it. Alex is a bust, and that has been acknowledged by the majority of the media covering this league.

I am not an Alex lover by an means but let’s be fair. Hill has rode Gore’s legs just as much as Alex did in 07. Without Gore last week, we lose plain and simple. Neither QB is great. Both are servicable at best.

How do you deduce that ? Week 1, no running game......Hill comes through. How do you know that Hill couldnt lead us if Gore was shut down again in Week 2 ? Case in point: look at the 4th quarter drive that Hill leads (with his arm) that chew up half the quarter. Did Smith ever do that for us ?

How do you deduce that ? Week 1, no running game......Hill comes through. How do you know that Hill couldnt lead us if Gore was shut down again in Week 2 ? Case in point: look at the 4th quarter drive that Hill leads (with his arm) that chew up half the quarter. Did Smith ever do that for us ?
Putting Alex in from the start would've been a bad gamble, you can tell we've just been playing careful cause these first 2 (division) wins were crucial to our chances of even making the playoffs down the stretch (Alex wouldn't of been able to handle that sort of pressure).

Also, no matter how far Alex has been progressing in camp you just can't make up for almost 2 years of not being in a regular season game to deserve the starting job. Alex would've just crapped his pants in Arizona, making fumbles and interceptions from timid panic.

Everyone thinks Smith is a bust? How about these quotes from Mariucci and Martz from Matt Maiocco's blog: http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/08/martz-alex-smith-needs-to-move-on.html

Mariucci: "Mike was there, he knows the guys personally. Alex Smith got another chance with a new contract to compete for that job. You'll have to see how this season goes there. Will he get another shot with the 49ers because of the team's record or because of an injury? Only time will tell. But Alex Smith seems to be a little rejuvenated, health-wise, and even mentally, where he feels good about himself. I'd like to see the kid get another opportunity to start, whether it's for the 49ers or somebody else, because I think there's something there. Mike, you worked with him every day. You know more about him than I do, but I'm pulling for the guy."

Martz: "I feel the same way. I think the biggest issue in being with the 49ers is all the history that's there (and it) is not real good history for him. And a lot of times this happens in the league - you look at Kurt Warner and Trent Green, he bounced around to different teams and finally he found a fit. Ultimately, he's going to need to go to another team. He deserves another opportunity. I think he can play. I think it would help him to be in a whole new environment and get rid of that baggage that he has to think about and affects his confidence each day. When something bad happens in practice with him, everybody goes, 'Oh, here we go.' He needs to jettison that out. He needs to go, find another team and start over again. And I do think he has a future in the league, and he'll be fine. But I do think he needs to probably move on."
[ Edited by wwrivers on Sep 23, 2009 at 1:50 PM ]
Originally posted by HowardStern:
Already been done. The year after Alex took us to a 7-9 record, he started 2-0. Bertrand Berry sat on his shoulder, and the rest is history.

Props to Hill for winning more convincingly. He has a more talented team around him, to be fair though.

Alex is talented & has a lot of upside. I hate how much venom people have for him in the Bay.

I'm not sure if were thinking of the same season, but the 7-9 record was in '06 and we were 1-1 thru the first two weeks. '07 we went 2-0, then lost in week 3 at Pittsburgh and in week 4 Rocky Bernand of Seattle put all 375 lbs of himself right on Smith's shoulder...

Back to the subject. I think it would've been the same 2-0. I think we also need to put things in perspective. Our D is playing exceptionally well, we have a better, simplified offense tailored around are current personnel that actually is less of a scoring offense and more of a time control offense to help our D (much like the Ravens' blue print) right now and we played two teams clearly being hampered by injuries.

We'll see what happens when we play Min. a true early test to see what we have either gained or lost in the offseason.

***To add to that Raven's blue print. I believe that Alex Smith is the better option in the future. The Raven's scheme is pretty much the same, there not asking Flacco to throw 40 times, they're relying heavily on the run and using play action and the deep ball to balance the offense out. Mainly what the Ravens are trying to do is keep their defense fresh throughout the game.

IMO (which amounts to just that, my opinion) I think that Singletary, McCloughan, Raye and Mike Johnson (QB coach) are trying to still build around Alex (and to a greater extent, Nate Davis) with the offensive scheme, the personel changes and actually giving a fair competition in the preseasson, while trying to stay competitive and in games with Hill (which is mistake free football.) Right now Singletary is trying to right the ship that Nolan tried to navigate, but utterly failed because Nolan was looking for a quick fix for a lot of things.

After all is said and done, we are still 2-0 and like Singletary, unless Hill starts showing us that he can lose games for us, let the kid ball.

Look, let's compare how each played. Hill used the fact the Zona had 8-9 in the box and managed the game. Alex used the same thing in 06 and early in 07. Hill did not look spectacular against the Cards neither did Alex but because of the threat of Gore, each was serviceable.

Fact is that if Gore would have been out that first game, Zona wins because they would have easily shut Hill down. Hill was only able to manage the passing game with only 2-3 defensive backs. This begs the question, how does he do with 4-5 DBs? So yeah, pretty comparable if you ask me.

Weve been 2-0 with smith starting before. hes lead us back to win the game just like hill did in the 07 cards game. set up the winning end around by battle with a 25 yard scramble and then a 40 yarder to battle which he fumbled at the one, it shouldve been the game winning touchdown. alex probably wouldve won that seahawk game too, because gore basically won that game. i dont know if alex would do it again since hes been out for 2 years basically though. maybe we would, but hill gets props too since he has played pretty well and gotten the job done. thats all you can ask from him.
You know this post is kinda irritating....as much as i was and still am pulling for Alex to turn it around....I am botherd about how much so called fans want to keep pushing the issue about not excepting Shaun Hill and his 9-3 record to me that says everything, where his numbers arnt pretty he gets wins and thats all that matters to me...i for one would like to see these post end Shaun Hill is our QB and he helped us get a 2-0 start.....the end
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by wwrivers:

Everyone thinks Smith is a bust? How about these quotes from Mariucci and Martz from Matt Maiocco's blog: http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/08/martz-alex-smith-needs-to-move-on.html

Mariucci: "Mike was there, he knows the guys personally. Alex Smith got another chance with a new contract to compete for that job. You'll have to see how this season goes there. Will he get another shot with the 49ers because of the team's record or because of an injury? Only time will tell. But Alex Smith seems to be a little rejuvenated, health-wise, and even mentally, where he feels good about himself. I'd like to see the kid get another opportunity to start, whether it's for the 49ers or somebody else, because I think there's something there. Mike, you worked with him every day. You know more about him than I do, but I'm pulling for the guy."

Martz: "I feel the same way. I think the biggest issue in being with the 49ers is all the history that's there (and it) is not real good history for him. And a lot of times this happens in the league - you look at Kurt Warner and Trent Green, he bounced around to different teams and finally he found a fit. Ultimately, he's going to need to go to another team. He deserves another opportunity. I think he can play. I think it would help him to be in a whole new environment and get rid of that baggage that he has to think about and affects his confidence each day. When something bad happens in practice with him, everybody goes, 'Oh, here we go.' He needs to jettison that out. He needs to go, find another team and start over again. And I do think he has a future in the league, and he'll be fine. But I do think he needs to probably move on."

Prognostications like the above sound great and make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, but they are worth NOTHING. The only thing that counts is historical performance (i.e. "what have you done for me lately"), and Alex Smith just doesn't have it.
i say yes...our defense ranks #7 right now...thats the main reason we're 2-0 right now...as long as Alex controls the ball we would have the same record with him starting IMO
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by wwrivers:

Prognostications like the above sound great and make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, but they are worth NOTHING. The only thing that counts is historical performance (i.e. "what have you done for me lately"), and Alex Smith just doesn't have it.

I agree they mean nothing. The point was just to counter the claim that everyone agrees he is a bust. Many experts don't feel that way. Either way, until he plays and proves his worth, all of this talk is meaningless.
Share 49ersWebzone