LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

Are the Niners for real?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are the Niners for real?

I think we fall in the 9 win category. Win the West and get blown out in the 1st round. Our D is looking great, and might be a really great unit for the next few years but the Offense still scares me. Take out the two big runs and Gore has like 60 yards in two games. It doesn't seem like we can move the ball consistently on the ground, and other than the one big drive against the Cards it seems we can't move it consistently in the air either. Plus, as the announcers pointed out, some of our play calling makes you scratch your head to say the least.
Originally posted by bigmur49:
I think we fall in the 9 win category. Win the West and get blown out in the 1st round. Our D is looking great, and might be a really great unit for the next few years but the Offense still scares me. Take out the two big runs and Gore has like 60 yards in two games. It doesn't seem like we can move the ball consistently on the ground, and other than the one big drive against the Cards it seems we can't move it consistently in the air either. Plus, as the announcers pointed out, some of our play calling makes you scratch your head to say the least.

We find out Sunday.
Originally posted by dobophile:
With this o-line and Shaun Hill, we aren't going far.

thats right

So fare we have gone two and o. Hopefully, this Sunday we will go three and o. I think we have the team to beat Minnesota. It will be interesting to see. If we have just enough to win i will be happy. If we are competitive and lose I will be happy.
  • cgida
  • Veteran

i agree. This o-line has surrendered 8 sacks in two games, which will produce more sacks than the last two years. These guys will gell throughout the year but they have been playing in the same positions for over a year, minus Snyder. Where is the continutity that is supposed to be displayed? If Hill keeps getting hit like that each game, he will be on the sidelines soon enough with injuries. We have to be able to protect the QB no matter who he is and right now I am not convinced that we can. This week should give us a good indication of how good ar bad the line really is.
2 games just isn't enough to tell. At least wait til the 4 game mark with a quarter of the season underway.
I haven't been this confident in a 49ers squad in a long time.

Even if we aren't that good, I think every team is going to take us seriously on Sundays because Singletary's Niners have an aura of toughness.
Originally posted by cgida:

i agree. This o-line has surrendered 8 sacks in two games, which will produce more sacks than the last two years. These guys will gell throughout the year but they have been playing in the same positions for over a year, minus Snyder. Where is the continutity that is supposed to be displayed? If Hill keeps getting hit like that each game, he will be on the sidelines soon enough with injuries. We have to be able to protect the QB no matter who he is and right now I am not convinced that we can. This week should give us a good indication of how good ar bad the line really is.

on more than a few of those sacks, Hill held onto the ball way too long. So we could chalk those up to Hill or our WR's not creating separation. But yea, I don't think Hill can take us to the next level. Here's to our top 5 pick next year from Carolina!
  • ihab
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
2 games just isn't enough to tell. At least wait til the 4 game mark with a quarter of the season underway.

I agree, im still a little hurt from 2007 when we started 2-0 , and the lost the next 8. We have to keep things in perspective. This game is a big one against the NFL's sweetheart vikings. We win, we are for real.
It appears no one can see what happening here. I think that 9-7 or 10-6 is very attainable this season. We will win some tough games this year that the nay sayers will deem impossible.

IMO

Originally posted by ObePwnD:
It appears no one can see what happening here. I think that 9-7 or 10-6 is very attainable this season. We will win some tough games this year that the nay sayers will deem impossible.

IMO

yea but say we win the NFC West, how do you see us doing in the playoffs against teams like IDK, the saints, Giants, Cowboys, etc....
Originally posted by ihab:
Originally posted by lamontb:

I agree, im still a little hurt from 2007 when we started 2-0 , and the lost the next 8. We have to keep things in perspective. This game is a big one against the NFL's sweetheart vikings. We win, we are for real.

Bingo.

That is why I dont want to get my hopes up. We have been 2-0 and 2-1 before.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
It's far too soon to pass judgment. This is a work in progress.

Two weeks ago, if you'd asked me about the Defense, I would've said they're going to struggle because they don't have a pass rush. Turns out the pass rush is pretty darn good.

The O-line looked awful in Arizona, yet made an enormous improvement from week 1 to week 2.

Shaun Hill shows no signs of fading. His success last year was not a fluke. He's getting a little better every week. Manny Lawson is making plays here and there and also seems to be getting better every week. Nate Clements has upped his game. So has Ray McDonald.

This is a group that's getting better, gaining confidence, and growing both as individuals and as a team. They're on a journey and they will be tested every step of the way. We don't know yet how far they can go, or what they're really made of.

This weekend's game will be a good measuring stick. The Falcons game, week 5, will also be a good test. They may come up short, or they may surprise us by doing more than we thought they were capable of, but I guarantee you this: it's gonna be fun to watch this season unfold.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by cgida:

on more than a few of those sacks, Hill held onto the ball way too long. So we could chalk those up to Hill or our WR's not creating separation. But yea, I don't think Hill can take us to the next level. Here's to our top 5 pick next year from Carolina!

Colt has not looked spectacular this year, especially during that Texas Tech game. I would actually prefer Jevan Snead, Jimmy Clausen, or Jake Locker at this point
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by ObePwnD:

IMO

yea but say we win the NFC West, how do you see us doing in the playoffs against teams like IDK, the saints, Giants, Cowboys, etc....

You know what Syber, just getting to the Playoffs again after 8-years would show that Sing is moving us back to where this Organization should be - win or lose. After this season, the problem areas will be crystal clear. (Actually we've known for some time now, but when you loose a playoff game due to one or more of these factors, fires get lit under the ass) Hopefully the Front Office makes the appropriate moves in the off season.

To answer your question anythings possible in the playoffs, just ask the Tards.
Share 49ersWebzone