LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

Martz on NFL Network

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ersking:
Analysts analyze, and sometimes they are wrong. It's not a science, just opinion with some amount of bias.
I don't think it's a real job either.

Yeah, Martz had me 'sold' on his commentary until he said that Crabs was out of shape -That's really ignorant on even his part as an analyst to not know that Crabs has been conditioning since the end of training camp, working out with ex-NFL QBs/WRs/offensive coaches at colleges in Southern California (and Florida, throughout the final stretch of the hold-out).
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Analysts analyze, and sometimes they are wrong. It's not a science, just opinion with some amount of bias.

Yeah, Martz had me 'sold' on his commentary until he said that Crabs was out of shape -That's really ignorant on even his part as an analyst to not know that Crabs has been conditioning since the end of training camp, working out with ex-NFL QBs/WRs/offensive coaches at colleges in Southern California (and Florida, throughout the final stretch of the hold-out).

Yeah and supposedly he looks like the best WR in practice, which he better look like if he's going to start his first game after a 70 day holdout and only 3 weeks of practice. The main thing I'm worried about is will we be able to get him the ball?
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

Yeah and supposedly he looks like the best WR in practice, which he better look like if he's going to start his first game after a 70 day holdout and only 3 weeks of practice. The main thing I'm worried about is will we be able to get him the ball?

I have good faith, cause as everybody is saying all Hill has to do is what he's done even in the worst situations, bubble screen and dump-off.

Remember that play against the Rams where Morgan took a left-hooked lateral/dump-off, and ran up the field about 15 yards, with concrete blocking coverage? -That's literally Crab's specialty, his elusiveness/field vision could have made that play go 25 yards.

A lot of people think Morgan got demoted, but I'm wondering if he's become our new slot cause of his blocking skills up front and down the field, he'll be Michael's 'wingman' for the remainder of the season.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Oct 21, 2009 at 1:02 PM ]
Looks like he was right about the Broncos
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by Niners99:
They were talking buy or sell on 2-0 teams, and Martz said "sell" on the 49ers. he said we have a nice d, but our passing game isnt good enough yet to buy.

then went on to "buy" the Denver freakin Broncos, who he drooled over and "gave big props to mike nolans new d" and called them for real, having a solid all around team.

please. the broncos look like a mess. theyve beaten the 2 ohio teams. one on a miracle last second TD.

i think martz is a little bitter.

Who cares what Martz thinks.

I'm with you my friend, if he really were the genius that some claim him to be, why is he on TV talking about football instead of out there putting his genius to work?

the man that took us form the bottom to the middle of the pack with Noodle arm and 1st round bust and JTO !
Originally posted by cNiner:
They were talking buy or sell on 2-0 teams, and Martz said "sell" on the 49ers. he said we have a nice d, but our passing game isnt good enough yet to buy.

then went on to "buy" the Denver freakin Broncos, who he drooled over and "gave big props to mike nolans new d" and called them for real, having a solid all around team.

please. the broncos look like a mess. theyve beaten the 2 ohio teams. one on a miracle last second TD.

I'm with you my friend, if he really were the genius that some claim him to be, why is he on TV talking about football instead of out there putting his genius to work?

the man that took us form the bottom to the middle of the pack with Noodle arm and 1st round bust and JTO !

Good call. Martz took/takes alot of heat around here, but he made our offense respectable last year. Look at the offense before and after him, HORRIBLE. And anybody that brings up all the sacks last year, SAVE IT. Without Martz we're still getting sacked WAY TO MUCH. At the current rate, we'll finish the season with about 51 sacks. Last season we were sacked 55 times, but at least we moved the ball. Not to mention being tied for 3rd in the league with pass plays over 20 yards.
I'd much rather have that over this 1930s offense. It's Hostler all over again.
[ Edited by AKfanster on Oct 21, 2009 at 1:34 PM ]
Originally posted by Mike8016:
I wish we had Martz.

Shouldn't wish for things you can not have. It only brings you pain.

I wish we had Shanahan.
Originally posted by danimal:
got to love the Martz haters...the best offensive mind to stroll in a decade and he got ran out of town in one freaking season. And on top of that some zoners with fraction of his football knowledge go around clowning him

I think Norv Turner is a better OC.
Originally posted by AKfanster:

Good call. Martz took/takes alot of heat around here, but he made our offense respectable last year. Look at the offense before and after him, HORRIBLE. And anybody that brings up all the sacks last year, SAVE IT. Without Martz we're still getting sacked WAY TO MUCH. At the current rate, we'll finish the season with about 51 sacks. Last season we were sacked 55 times, but at least we moved the ball. Not to mention being tied for 3rd in the league with pass plays over 20 yards.

Yeah we all saw how great Martz was for the team, I mean wasn't it great how having one of the premiere backs in the league we ranked 26th in rushing? Or how about how we were dead last in turnover ratio? Or how about the game where we had a lead in the fourth quarter and a rb averaging over 6 yards a carry and he decided to put the game into the hands of his scrub JTO who promptly threw the game away...I sure miss Martz.

But our passing game sucks and Orton looks like a pro bowler in that offense!? It's not like he's lying.

got to love the Martz haters...the best offensive mind to stroll in a decade and he got ran out of town in one freaking season. And on top of that some zoners with fraction of his football knowledge go around clowning him

BEST offensive mind in 10-years, really? Norv Turner Not only improved our passing game but he also improved our running game. I'll take Norv's body of work as OC any day over Martz.
  • B650
  • Veteran

Yeah we all saw how great Martz was for the team, I mean wasn't it great how having one of the premiere backs in the league we ranked 26th in rushing? Or how about how we were dead last in turnover ratio? Or how about the game where we had a lead in the fourth quarter and a rb averaging over 6 yards a carry and he decided to put the game into the hands of his scrub JTO who promptly threw the game away...I sure miss Martz.

The team moved the ball with Martz. People actually feared us. If we had this year's defense and last year's offense, we'd be 4-1 or 5-0. How could you complain about Martz' offense last year? Are you not watching the games this year? Maybe we were ranked 26th in rushing last year, but we still moved the ball. We're 30th in pass this year and we can't even move the chains. I'd take Martz any day of the week.

And it's not Martz' fault that O'Sullivan kept turning the ball over. It's the QB's poor decision making. Do the coaches always get the blame for the mistakes players make? After O'Sullivan was benched, we stopped turning the ball over, and guess what? Our offense got better and we won games.
[ Edited by B650 on Oct 21, 2009 at 2:17 PM ]
Originally posted by B650:

The team moved the ball with Martz. People actually feared us. If we had this year's defense and last year's offense, we'd be 4-1 or 5-0. How could you complain about Martz' offense last year? Are you not watching the games this year? Maybe we were ranked 26th in rushing last year, but we still moved the ball. We're 30th in pass this year and we can't even move the chains. I'd take Martz any day of the week.

And it's not Martz' fault that O'Sullivan kept turning the ball over. It's the QB's poor decision making. Do the coaches always get the blame for the mistakes players make? After O'Sullivan was benched, we stopped turning the ball over, and guess what? Our offense got better and we won games.

Great post. There's absolutely no question that Shaun had gotten comfortable in Martz's toned down system towards the end of '08. If we had that same offense/playcalling this year, we'd be a lot better than we currently are.

BEST offensive mind in 10-years, really? Norv Turner Not only improved our passing game but he also improved our running game. I'll take Norv's body of work as OC any day over Martz.

cmon dude, you get my point I am sure, the 49ers have been a deficient offense for many many years now and the OC's have been pretty terrible. The point is we finally had a good one(who unlike Norv was not going anywhere) and we gave him the AX after just 1 season.

You can color it anyway you choose, but to me it was just another decision that proves this franchise is a joke.
[ Edited by danimal on Oct 21, 2009 at 2:39 PM ]
  • B650
  • Veteran

cmon dude, you get my point I am sure, the 49ers have been a deficient offense for many many years now and the OC's have been pretty terrible. The point is we finally had a good one(who unlike Norv was not going anywhere) and we gave him the AX after just 1 season.

You can color it anyway you choose, but to me it was just another decision that proves this franchise is a joke.

I agree that it was a bad decision, but I think it comes down to Singletary wanting an OC that's more conventional. If Nolan was still the coach, Martz would still be the OC. Singletary has made a lot of questionable moves thus far.
Share 49ersWebzone