LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 278 users in the forums

Wildcat/Taser

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Wildcat/Taser

Originally posted by PTulini:
And what's the deal with Jimmy Raye calling a WildCat play on 3rd and 22?!! I hope Coach Singletary chewed out Jimmy Raye for that call.

Actually, it would have been a nice play if Spurlock had thrown the ball more accurately. He, unlike Michael Robinson, has the speed to get to the outside and be a threat on the ground, which will help potential receivers get open in case the runner chooses to pass. Robinson isn't a ground threat so I doubt the secondary would ever have to leave coverage to prevent him from doing damage on the ground.

I absolutely hate the wildcat and hope we never use it again, but that particular play could have worked out well if Spurlock had thrown a better pass.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Sep 21, 2009 at 12:58 AM ]
I actually didn't mind that play call. We were not getting a 1st down most likely so lets gain some field position. Only problem was Spurlock should have kept the ball on that play. He had a some room to run... terrible pass though. lol
  • eddie23
  • Info N/A
We need Robinson or Battle running the wildcat... guys that can actually, you know, throw the ball. Since they were both college QBs.

Probably Battle would be more suited, since you wouldn't be giving it away during the huddle.
Originally posted by eddie23:
We need Robinson or Battle running the wildcat... guys that can actually, you know, throw the ball. Since they were both college QBs.

Probably Battle would be more suited, since you wouldn't be giving it away during the huddle.

Spurlock was a QB in school too. and he was probably the fastest out of the 3 former QB's so they use him because he is a real threat to run
I agree it needs to go. It's like our old man, Jimmy Raye, is wearing sexy leopard-skin underwear just prove that he's still hip and with-it...but it just doesn't work. If we're gonna run 60-odd plays a game and throw in a few tricks, I say we start moving V.D. around a bit more. I love how we're getting him involved early and often, but why not have him take a hand-off or catch a couple balls outta the slot? He's faster, stronger and far more dangerous than Spurlock anyway, so, yeah, duh...
i dont care if they call a play or two out of what is it "taser", just as long as they call it at an appropriate time not on 3rd and looong!
I think most people have been saying this since preseason.

-9fA
  • eddie23
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by eddie23:

Spurlock was a QB in school too. and he was probably the fastest out of the 3 former QB's so they use him because he is a real threat to run

Hmm... yeah u're right. But neither Spurlock nor Battle were very good college QBs. Robinson was a pretty QB but he's not a very good NFL RB.

Yeah, we need to scrap the wildcat.
Yeah the taser cat is basically a wasted down. i dont like it at all. spurlock could have gotten a big gain though had he actually made the throw but i still dont like it.

i know in the az game we split vern out wide a few times like a poster previously said, i actually thought that worked and would like to see more of that.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Bad time to call that play, but that could end up being a sick play w/ Spurlock. Some sort of play w/ Nate Davis, Spurlock, Gore, Davis

Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
The Wildcat is a joke. What were we doing today!? It was just stupid. Pound the rock or throw the ball. Enough of this "Fancy" stuff.

everyone keeps talking s**t about the wildcat.

i know you can say it is a result of the wildcat but, had we not fumbled the play action on the first wildcat play, spurlock(or whoever that was) would have had a first down.

on the 2nd wildcat play, had we put in michael robinson instead, he could have made that pass to delanie walker for a first down.

so yes, it was a big failure this time, but if they can execute i see it working in the long run.
Originally posted by Jax49er:
everyone keeps talking s**t about the wildcat.

i know you can say it is a result of the wildcat but, had we not fumbled the play action on the first wildcat play, spurlock(or whoever that was) would have had a first down.

on the 2nd wildcat play, had we put in michael robinson instead, he could have made that pass to delanie walker for a first down.

so yes, it was a big failure this time, but if they can execute i see it working in the long run.

Wild Cat doesn't work unless the other team really believes that the player is capable of throwing the ball. So I don't understand why Robinson doesn't run it.
i f'n hate trick plays.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
i f'n hate trick plays.

this
Share 49ersWebzone