LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Did Gore get Faster?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Did Gore get Faster?

Sure seems so. I remember watching Frank have similar runs the past couple years, but disapppointed as he'd get dragged down from behind. I keep watching the highlights over and over again and, wow... Frank's got some lightning to go with his thunder now...
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Who says Fwantie doesn't have break away speed.
Too much was made out of Frank being caught a few times before he scored. He didn't get caught all the time. Everyone gets caught at some point in the NFL. Most of those defensive backs are fastest on the team. I'm just glad Frank proved that you can't say that about him anymore.
Any news on his ankle?
Originally posted by jwildz999:
Any news on his ankle?

Barrows tweeted that Gore, at the post game press conference, ran in place at the podium to show reporters that he was fine.
It sure looks like he did
Originally posted by NinerGold39:
yep, he slimmed down a bit and got faster. He used to get caught from behind alot on those long runs.

NinerGold39 got the correct answer (Link)
Quote:
After showing up for the May 1 minicamp overweight, the 49ers' star running back promised his coaches he would drop 10 pounds before the offseason coaching sessions kicked off two weeks later. When he walked through the locker room doors May 18, there was no need to put him on the scale. Gore was noticeably trimmer.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for dtg_9er.
Gore's goal this offseason was to slim down a bit and get healthy. These two factors help his speed.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Sep 21, 2009 at 7:27 AM ]
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crzy:
Frank is the man, but our running game is going to go the next level when we draft Chris Johnson 2.0, a.k.a. Jahvid Best.

I want some real speed in our backfield.

I'm sorry but we don't draft Cal Bears around these parts.I mean what good would players like Aaron Rodgers and Desean Jackson do us?
He's not faster, but when you put 8-9 guys in the box to stop him and they don't, there is no one left to catch him once he's in the secondary.

By the time the 2 or 3 guys not up on the line of scrimmage realized he broke through, they were 10 yards behind him.

When you are going forward at full speed, and someone 10 yards behind you has to turn around and run after you, it's not that hard to beat them.

He didn't break those runs because he's faster, but because our line actually did the job and busted through into the secondary with no one left to try and stop him.

Originally posted by AZ9er:
Um no. He is finally healthy.

He used to slow down after breaking away, but that didn't happen yesterday and was the difference. He did look a bit dinged up toward the end of the game though.
the steroids i sent him must be kicking in
[ Edited by valrod33 on Sep 21, 2009 at 7:58 AM ]
no brainer. in years past, he would of gotten caught from behind.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
He's not faster, but when you put 8-9 guys in the box to stop him and they don't, there is no one left to catch him once he's in the secondary.

By the time the 2 or 3 guys not up on the line of scrimmage realized he broke through, they were 10 yards behind him.

When you are going forward at full speed, and someone 10 yards behind you has to turn around and run after you, it's not that hard to beat them.

He didn't break those runs because he's faster, but because our line actually did the job and busted through into the secondary with no one left to try and stop him.

This.

Also, both runs required little to no cutting at all. Oh wait, he had to move around a referee.

Some just don't understand that making any more than 2 cuts in a run usually means you are going to get caught from behind if you find an open seam after making 2 or more cuts...well...unless you have 4.3 speed.
Given he's arguably in the best shape of his NFL career, he may be slightly quicker. More than anything else, it had to do with the right plays called when Seattle had most of their defense close to the LOS. Once he broke through that, there was nobody to stop him. It should be noted he got excellent blocks on both long TD runs from David Baas to spring him.
Share 49ersWebzone