There are 103 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

These wins are great, but

Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
I am enjoying the wins, but tonites MNF game really hit home. Miami had no business loosing that game, but couldn't find the big plays to pull it out. We are based on the same type of mentality, strong defense and a good rushing game.

To me, Pennington and Hill have this in common.

Watching the game with my roommate, I called Sean Hill a poor man's Chad Pennington: both largely make good decisions but are betrayed by sub-par arm strength. Still, Hill has shown that he's capable of leading long drives when Raye opens up the playbook. What troubles me is that we already know how teams are going to play us defensively--8 or 9 in the box every time. We can't simply depend on Gore's outstanding ability to win us games; sooner or later, we're going to need to rely on Hill's arm and the success of our dink-and-dunk passing game. Above all, we are going to need great defensive play every week to stay competitive.
  • TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by merm49:
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
I am enjoying the wins, but tonites MNF game really hit home. Miami had no business loosing that game, but couldn't find the big plays to pull it out. We are based on the same type of mentality, strong defense and a good rushing game.

To me, Pennington and Hill have this in common.

Watching the game with my roommate, I called Sean Hill a poor man's Chad Pennington: both largely make good decisions but are betrayed by sub-par arm strength. Still, Hill has shown that he's capable of leading long drives when Raye opens up the playbook. What troubles me is that we already know how teams are going to play us defensively--8 or 9 in the box every time. We can't simply depend on Gore's outstanding ability to win us games; sooner or later, we're going to need to rely on Hill's arm and the success of our dink-and-dunk passing game. Above all, we are going to need great defensive play every week to stay competitive.

That's actually a decent comparison, and it helps a bit. I've always had a generally positive opinion of Pennington, particularly when he was with the Jets. Hill does seem to be in the same mold and could probably have more success throwing the ball if we opened it up a bit more (if needed; it just hasn't been needed much yet) and especially if we had some more receiving threats like Jones and Crabtree.

Here's the crazy thing about 8 in the box. If I remember right, both of Gore's big runs came against at least 8 in the box. Sure, there is an element of luck involved in runs like that, but your team has to be pretty damn good at run blocking just to get that lucky, especially twice. Add in Gore's skills, and all it takes is one perfect play where everyone hits their block and Gore makes one good move.... SIX.
Originally posted by TowelBoy:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by oscarug:
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by TowelBoy:
I'm no football expert

Yup. Time to throw in the towel, boy.

Steve Young: Hill is not a good QB he is a great QB!!!

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/audio/Steve-Young-on-KNBR/ef2dc15a-2032-4bc8-9162-10acfe31538d

HAHAHAHA Steve Young blatantly said you Hill doubters don't know football.....hmmmm I think I'll take Steve's words of some here on the Zone.

Great interview!!!! thankx for the link.

I'm not going to take the time to listen to it, but if Steve really says Hill is a great quarterback, that is a pretty convincing endorsement.

You really lose some credibility here ------ when you can't be bothered to hear what ex 49er Steve Young has to say.
  • Crown
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoFD74:
~1.) Bad teams struggle, play ugly football and lose consistently (Lions, Rams recently, 49ers Erickson/Nolan era)...lacking the players, the coaches, the schemes and the confidence to win in the NFL. These teams are usually picking somewhere in the top 5-10 of each year's draft. They consistently have no shot at a winning record, much less the playoffs.

~2.) Up-and-coming teams sometimes struggle and sometimes play ugly football yet find ways to consistently beat the bad teams and occasionally, the better teams. They typically just miss the playoffs, or aren't factors when they do make it, but they're now knocking on the door and are trying to find ways to take it to the next level to become an established team. They have a very good shot at a winning record and possibly, the playoffs. Usually, they have no shot at a world championship.

~3.) Established teams sometimes struggle in certain phases of the game, but overall, follow an established formula for winning games. They know if they just execute the game plan, they'll beat the bad teams, will beat most of the up-and-coming teams and play tough against the great teams. They have a decent shot at a championship, but most often, are runner-ups.

~4.) Great teams occasionally struggle, but mostly play great football and almost always find ways to win (even when they do struggle). They have players, the coaches, the schemes, the experience and the confidence to win it all every year (49ers of the 80's).

IMO, we're at the beginning stages of #2, so people have to try and keep their expectations for this year in check, knowing that it's a process.

THIS
Sing told everyone that we would win with defense and power football which IMO equates to winning ugly. Frankly who cares how we win as long as we win hell of a lot better then losing by 21 points like we use to.

While I still think we will only go 6-10 or 7-9 at least we will be in every game to the end thanks to our defense and a QB who plays within the system.
  • carl
  • Veteran
These wins are great, period.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Well, I agree that Hill has not been showing what he did last season or in 07... by the way, did you even watch those games? Once you interjected AS name, which suggests you want to see him play, I realized the true bias of your rant... sheesh, the ASvsHill debate is over already....

Over, did you say over? It's not over until we say it is!!! Was over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Until Hill plays like he has a strangle hold on the position, which he hasn't, it is not over.
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:
Sing told everyone that we would win with defense and power football which IMO equates to winning ugly. Frankly who cares how we win as long as we win hell of a lot better then losing by 21 points like we use to.

While I still think we will only go 6-10 or 7-9 at least we will be in every game to the end thanks to our defense and a QB who plays within the system.

2-0 start to 6 or 7 wins? that means only 4-5 more wins all season, remember we see the Rams twice, the Tards and Seahens one more tie each, so that should get us 2 or 3 wins. So you are saying that out side the NFC west we can only manage 2-3 wins?

Unless the D is all smoke and mirrors and we totally suck I gotts believe baring any calamity as this team, "Gels" we will be better not worse.

I can see 10-6 pretty clearly from here!
2-0 and nothing else matters!
Originally posted by eddie23:
I've seen what both Smith and Hill can do... and believe me, I'd rather keep Hill in there.

and that right there is the difference between 2-0 vs 0-2

granted we can have a better QB and utilize our passing game more. but how can we depend on Hill everytime to bail us out and win a game when it's on the line? for instance last night how Manning orchestrated that win! To me Hill does the job for now... but we better dam get on the ball come draft time next year and get us our future QB...

Our D seems to manage just fine! yes that includes our pass rush! get us our QB so we can get the balls to our wideouts. you don't need a so called play maker as our wide receiver we need a play maker in our QB to make out wide outs look like they are play makers!
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Hill was 19/26 and had Bruce drop 2 passes as well as Vernon drop one easy one. so it could've been 22/26

I don't know where yall get "hit or miss....more miss"

on the start of the 4qtr he helped drive down the field and took 9+ minutes off the clock.... 9 f'n minutes...

it must've been very frustrating for Seattle's offense to just sit and watch from the sideline, as the game slipped away

Does that include the corn puff he threw to Bruce that was batted down because it was about to be intercepted??

Since you're a buddy of Hill's can you kindly ask him to start throwing to Morgan who's open more often than not when Bruce is double and triple teamed please?

Thank You