LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 329 users in the forums

These wins are great, but

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Tyler82
  • Info N/A
Watch we will draft a QB in the 1st round 2010 draft
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
I cant wait to see this offense sputter against the vikes and watch everyone turn on Hill.. because thats how the majority of fans are we win your on hits nuts we lose he blows. He isnt a good qb

The D is the reason we are 2and 0 and Gore from yesterday NOT Hill

Some 49er fan you turned out to be. Obviously you're wearing the wrong colors!

Hmmmm, seems to me that the Cowboys has a pretty good DEFENSE but inspite of that ... they LOST! ... and I guess the Jets won because of their great defense and Mark Sanchez had nothing to do with their winning!

Why is it that some people can't seem to put things in their proper prespective. There's more than one way to win a game rather than having a super QB?
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Sep 21, 2009 at 10:45 AM ]
Stop raining on our 2-0 parade!
Originally posted by crzy:
Originally posted by TowelBoy:
I'm no football expert, but I find it hard to believe that Alex Smith is actually worse than Hill.

I'm no football expert,

I'm no football expert,

I'm no football expert,

I'm no football expert,

I'm no football expert,

• BobS
  • Veteran
2-0 is great. Remember the last time we started 2-0, 2007 and we finished 5-11. I am cautiously optimistic, I doubt Hill is going to win any games, but as long as he doesn't lose any he can hold down the fort until a better option comes along. He gives the team the best option to win now, and as long as the defense improves, with a sound running game, this team can win the division and make the play-offs, that will be a big step in the right direction.
they are letting Hill keep his job longer than he merits. He has absolutely horrendous pocket awareness; sometimes he literally sacks himself by running into people, and he flashes the football right at the pass rushers he doesn't know are there. His accuracy is very hit or miss, usually miss. What limited production he does muster comes mostly from screens to Gore and Davis.

He's had one or two throws a game so far that have made me raise an eyebrow (impressed), but they can't overshadow the fact that he's a well below average NFL quarterback. I'm pretty torn about this season now. I'd be so thrilled for us to finally win another division title, but I don't think we'd have any shot whatsoever in the playoffs.

I'm no football expert, but I find it hard to believe that Alex Smith is actually worse than Hill. Supposedly, what Hill has going for him is that he's a "gamer" and he "manages the game" and he has an impressive record in a limited sample. Well, Smith has had his moments too. He had a "gamer" comeback against the Cardinals a couple years ago that had everyone buzzing about the second coming.

But I digress. If Smith is really and truly a bust, we need to get serious about 2009 success and trade for a quarterback.

This season is about respect, not a super bowl tittle, I wish we were a contender, but we are not there yet. Hill is sadly the best QB on our team, Davis has shown flashes and Smith is a bust, Hill is however a capable and competent field general and the other players respond well to him.

Sure Hill won't win may games with his arm, but he won't lose any either! I support the choice of Hill as our starter this season, Davis is intriguing to me me for next season, but I would still like to take a QB in the draft.

Your post is some what of a troll because you just hack on Hill without offering any suggestions other than "trade for a starter"!
WTF who would trade us a starter and who would this starter be? If you want respect here in the Zone you have to bring something to the table!
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
I cant wait to see this offense sputter against the vikes and watch everyone turn on Hill.. because thats how the majority of fans are we win your on hits nuts we lose he blows. He isnt a good qb

The D is the reason we are 2and 0 and Gore from yesterday NOT Hill

Some 49er fan you turned out to be. Obviously you're wearing the wrong colors!

Hmmmm, seems to me that the Cowboys has a pretty good DEFENSE but inspite of that ... they LOST! ... and I guess the Jets won because of their great defense and Mark Sanchez had nothing to do with their winning!

Why is it that some people can't seem to put things in their proper prespective. There's more than one way to win a game rather than having a super QB?

I don't know ninersrule4, so I am only guessing here, but it seems that he didn't mean he hoped the offense would sputter, but more that when (if?) they sputter, he looks forward to seeing everyone turn on Hill. He was bashing the fair weather fans, not wishing the team to fail.
~1.) Bad teams struggle, play ugly football and lose consistently (Lions, Rams recently, 49ers Erickson/Nolan era)...lacking the players, the coaches, the schemes and the confidence to win in the NFL. These teams are usually picking somewhere in the top 5-10 of each year's draft. They consistently have no shot at a winning record, much less the playoffs.

~2.) Up-and-coming teams sometimes struggle and sometimes play ugly football yet find ways to consistently beat the bad teams and occasionally, the better teams. They typically just miss the playoffs, or aren't factors when they do make it, but they're now knocking on the door and are trying to find ways to take it to the next level to become an established team. They have a very good shot at a winning record and possibly, the playoffs. Usually, they have no shot at a world championship.

~3.) Established teams sometimes struggle in certain phases of the game, but overall, follow an established formula for winning games. They know if they just execute the game plan, they'll beat the bad teams, will beat most of the up-and-coming teams and play tough against the great teams. They have a decent shot at a championship, but most often, are runner-ups.

~4.) Great teams occasionally struggle, but mostly play great football and almost always find ways to win (even when they do struggle). They have players, the coaches, the schemes, the experience and the confidence to win it all every year (49ers of the 80's).

IMO, we're at the beginning stages of #2, so people have to try and keep their expectations for this year in check, knowing that it's a process.
[ Edited by GoFD74 on Sep 21, 2009 at 11:16 AM ]
W`s > everything else
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
AHAHAHA

When I saw the title of this thread I just knew the poster was going say

"These wins are great, and I'm gonna let you finish, but..."

if a win is great then why is there a but? has he thrown a pick? would alex smith throw a pick and get injured anyways... *example in the RAIDERS against the 2nd string... that's what i thought!
  • TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
I just caught up on the last couple pages of this thread and have a few more things to add.

First, I noticed there was a poster who seemed to take "my side," but went as far as to say he can't wait to see Hill's offense sputter. Please don't make the mistake of lumping me in with said poster when questioning the legitimacy of his "fan-ness." I never suggested anything about wanting to see the Niners or any of their players fail. In fact, I said the opposite.

Next, I really don't appreciate the "pile on" mentality some have brought to this thread. If you're going to directly refute premises of my arguments or contradict my claims, do it with as much condescension as you like; I can take it. But adding responses with thread-locking smileys, laughing smileys, troll pictures, etc. for the sole purpose of entertaining the other "regulars" and members of the elitist Zoners club is disrespectful and counterproductive.

Finally, I appreciate some of the insights that have been brought up here. Though I certainly would not apologize for thinking beyond just the first two weeks (as some have suggested the mere act of thinking ahead is somehow inappropriate), my present view toward Hill is improved over what was suggested in my OP.

There, I suggested he no longer merits being the starter. This led many to think I was saying he should be replaced ASAP. I apologize for this misunderstanding. I agree he is the best QB on the roster, and I have become convinced that trading for a QB midseason is impractical. Thus, the purpose of my thread is not to suggest any definitive course of action, but rather simply to express some mild concerns and see if those concerns are shared by any like-minded die-hard Niner fans.

GoFD, your illustration was particularly useful. As I admitted in an earlier response, the throttling of our two rivals has indeed led me to think about a SB berth perhaps prematurely. I love what I see from the team this year and I am looking forward to seeing how far they can take it. I am also looking forward to seeing how the team addresses the need for a franchise QB in the coming offseason.
Originally posted by crzy:
I'm no football expert, but I find it hard to believe that Alex Smith is actually worse than Hill.

I'm no football expert,

I'm no football expert,

I'm no football expert,

I'm no football expert,

I'm no football expert,

This guy must be some kinda Einstein.
Originally posted by BobS:
2-0 is great. Remember the last time we started 2-0, 2007 and we finished 5-11. I am cautiously optimistic, I doubt Hill is going to win any games, but as long as he doesn't lose any he can hold down the fort until a better option comes along. He gives the team the best option to win now, and as long as the defense improves, with a sound running game, this team can win the division and make the play-offs, that will be a big step in the right direction.

how does a QB necessary win games?

how did our offense do against the Cards.....we couldn't run the ball....but when we finally passed it in the 4th qtr, we drove down field and took lots of time off the clock and Hill passed for the *gasp* winning TD... would you say that is help winning it for your team.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Sep 21, 2009 at 2:07 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone