LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 277 users in the forums

These wins are great, but

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TowelBoy:
they are letting Hill keep his job longer than he merits. He has absolutely horrendous pocket awareness; sometimes he literally sacks himself by running into people, and he flashes the football right at the pass rushers he doesn't know are there. His accuracy is very hit or miss, usually miss. What limited production he does muster comes mostly from screens to Gore and Davis.

He's had one or two throws a game so far that have made me raise an eyebrow (impressed), but they can't overshadow the fact that he's a well below average NFL quarterback. I'm pretty torn about this season now. I'd be so thrilled for us to finally win another division title, but I don't think we'd have any shot whatsoever in the playoffs.

I'm no football expert, but I find it hard to believe that Alex Smith is actually worse than Hill. Supposedly, what Hill has going for him is that he's a "gamer" and he "manages the game" and he has an impressive record in a limited sample. Well, Smith has had his moments too. He had a "gamer" comeback against the Cardinals a couple years ago that had everyone buzzing about the second coming.

But I digress. If Smith is really and truly a bust, we need to get serious about 2009 success and trade for a quarterback.

Your thoughts on us not winning a playoffs game are duly noted - but means absolutely dick.

THX
[ Edited by ObePwnD on Sep 21, 2009 at 8:20 PM ]
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by GORE-ILLA:
imo it's still too early to tell if Hill is the long term guy that can win the big playoff games...he hasn't had much playing time...if u push Rayes playcalling aside i think Hill gets better with each game...thats just my opinion though

So far Hill is showing more accuracy than Smith has in the past but the production is the same-200yds here,200 yds there...
He could possibly get us to the playoffs but not the Superbowl without an excellent Defense.
Hill is ok for now but not the long term solution.

I haven't given up on A.Smith but I really liked Nate Davis in the preseason- 2010/2011 starter perhaps?
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by GORE-ILLA:
imo it's still too early to tell if Hill is the long term guy that can win the big playoff games...he hasn't had much playing time...if u push Rayes playcalling aside i think Hill gets better with each game...thats just my opinion though

So far Hill is showing more accuracy than Smith has in the past but the production is the same-200yds here,200 yds there...
He could possibly get us to the playoffs but not the Superbowl without an excellent Defense.
Hill is ok for now but not the long term solution.

I haven't given up on A.Smith but I really liked Nate Davis in the preseason- 2010/2011 starter perhaps?

Hopefully Carolina gives us a top five pick so we can fiannly get a franchise QB
  • Pogity
  • Info N/A
I had a long post ready, but I think this sums it up succinctly:
I agree with TowelBoy.
How will Raye react when we are trailing????????????????????

I'm scared to see Raye's play calling when we are trailing for the first time this season. I don't know when it will happen, but the Vikings are a playoff team that is clicking (unlike ARI when we played them). I hope they open it up for Morgan and Hill.
I do not think anyone can realistically say that they are excited with Hill's play at QB. I did not like his play in the pre-season and I do not like what I see now. Hill is playing mediocre . . . AT BEST.

Face it. We do not have a high end QB that we know of yet. We are stuck with Hill until we can replace him.

Fortunately Hill does not give the ball or the game away frequently. We can win with Hill as long as we do not need him to make big plays. If our defense fails us we are in deep granola.
ThesE wins are great PERIOD! When hill starts turning the ball over 4 times each game (I.e. Jto,a smith,t. Dilfer.) than you can complain. I fully expect him to make more plays against the vikes. If you want a pretty game your watching the wrong team. 3-0 next week.
Originally posted by stodgman:
I do not think anyone can realistically say that they are excited with Hill's play at QB. I did not like his play in the pre-season and I do not like what I see now. Hill is playing mediocre . . . AT BEST.

Face it. We do not have a high end QB that we know of yet. We are stuck with Hill until we can replace him.

Fortunately Hill does not give the ball or the game away frequently. We can win with Hill as long as we do not need him to make big plays. If our defense fails us we are in deep granola.

He has seemed to regress since last year.
I agree with Steve Young.

Hill is playing great football.

Nuff said.
I am enjoying the wins, but tonites MNF game really hit home. Miami had no business loosing that game, but couldn't find the big plays to pull it out. We are based on the same type of mentality, strong defense and a good rushing game.

To me, Pennington and Hill have this in common.

Well, I agree that Hill has not been showing what he did last season or in 07... by the way, did you even watch those games? Once you interjected AS name, which suggests you want to see him play, I realized the true bias of your rant... sheesh, the ASvsHill debate is over already....
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
I am enjoying the wins, but tonites MNF game really hit home. Miami had no business loosing that game, but couldn't find the big plays to pull it out. We are based on the same type of mentality, strong defense and a good rushing game.

To me what hit home was when there was 2:30 seconds on the clock and the Dolphins had to drive the field everyone in the booth was saying "This team is not built to come from behind."

I've already said I'm interested to see what Raye's play calling is when we are losing in a game for the first time this season. Will he insist on running the ball, or will he allow Hill to throw the ball since he has a few come from behind victories in his career.
Im happy with how Hill has played. No picks, no turnovers, yeah he hasn't put up flashy but he kills the clock. He keeps our defense off the field and he can put to gether 10-15 play drives and can eat up about 8 minutes in those drives. He's winning us games and that's all i care about.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Hill played pretty well in a Martz passing Offense. This run, run Offense is some what predictable and if our OL doesnot dominate we are probably in trouble.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

To me what hit home was when there was 2:30 seconds on the clock and the Dolphins had to drive the field everyone in the booth was saying "This team is not built to come from behind."

I've already said I'm interested to see what Raye's play calling is when we are losing in a game for the first time this season. Will he insist on running the ball, or will he allow Hill to throw the ball since he has a few come from behind victories in his career.

We were losing to Arizona just last week in the 4th quarter and Hill had to drive the field to get a touchdown.
Share 49ersWebzone