I'm no football expert

Yup. Time to throw in the towel, boy.
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by TowelBoy:
I'm no football expert

+1
First of all, enough with the fantasy football jokes. Do I play fantasy football? Sure. You'll be pleased to know I don't have Hill, however. As I tried to make perfectly clear (for instance, by completely leaving "numbers" out of my original post), my opinion was based purely on my own observations.

Second, I get what you all are saying with the record, but it's a very weak argument. Great quarterbacks can be the cause of wins, but it's a fallacy to reverse it. Wins in and of themselves don't determine that you, in fact, have a great quarterback in place. In my humble opinion based on watching both games, we won in spite of having a below average quarterback at the helm. When the going gets tough, and we need him to come through, I have a strong suspicion he will come up well short.

Bull$hit-Have you been watching the NFL games? How many quaterbacks in the first two weeks that are considered quote unquote really good-lost the game. While he didn't pretty stats-he did win the game when he had to last week with the drive that put them up for good. While the defense won that game for us, the line plain and simple sucked the sweat off a dead mans @#$% last week.
As long as he doesn't turn over the ball to much with costly plays I'm fine. Oh sure he may lose one or two games, but WHO doesn't-Montana, Young, Unitus, Bradshaw, they all did from time to time.

Get a QB now who? Trade a high pick that may not work out with us! He doen't know the system, would have to get acclimated with the players-which in turn would cause confusion which in turn leads to turnovers-its to late.

And the real reason not to let Davis play is that they want to develope him properly till he is ready. Like Montana, Young, Brady all were. Hill ain't flashy, but right now they are winning and he has only started 13 games and is with a line that is still developing. Plus, put SOME of the blame where it belongs-the play designs have been so vanilla-its like Robert Conrad and the battery commercial-I dare you to knock it off, com'on I dare you!
I'm no football expert

Steve Young: Hill is not a good QB he is a great QB!!!

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/audio/Steve-Young-on-KNBR/ef2dc15a-2032-4bc8-9162-10acfe31538d

Originally posted by eddie23:
I've seen what both Smith and Hill can do... and believe me, I'd rather keep Hill in there.

Exactly! What the f**k is our other alternative!!??!!
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Put the homer glasses aside for a second and ask yourselves where you think the Niners really stack up against the other top teams in the league.

Grand proclamations are premature after only two games.

How'd we fare against the Saints for instance? Think our defense could slow down that attack? They shredded the Eagle defense like swiss cheese yesterday.
Originally posted by oscarug:
I'm no football expert

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/audio/Steve-Young-on-KNBR/ef2dc15a-2032-4bc8-9162-10acfe31538d

HAHAHAHA Steve Young blatantly said you Hill doubters don't know football.....hmmmm I think I'll take Steve's words of some here on the Zone.

Great interview!!!! thankx for the link.
Originally posted by kray28:
Put the homer glasses aside for a second and ask yourselves where you think the Niners really stack up against the other top teams in the league.

How'd we fare against the Saints for instance? Think our defense could slow down that attack? They shredded the Eagle defense like swiss cheese yesterday.

Well, nobody thought when we started the season that we would have won these first two games. Untill they play-you don't know which way the football gods will make the football bounce. As Berman said "that's why they play the game!" If they lose to these type of teams in the middle of the season, they can learn from it. I worry they win ugly all the way to the last four games then get trumped-because that can really wreck there confidence.
  • TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
I'm no football expert

That joke wasn't particularly funny the first time it was used in this thread. It's most certainly less so the ninth and tenth times.

If I had known my username would provide such a distraction, I would have chosen a different one. But as I'm stuck with it now, I think it would be best for everyone if we could focus our posts on Niner-related matters.
when will it stop...the Alex Smith kool-aid is still being shoved in our faces...the guy looks like Jamarcus Russel on a bad day when he's out there...and all we hear is weak arm this and non athletic that about Shaun Hill...Smith lovers need to wake up...SHUAN HILL IS A BETTER QB THAN ALEX SMITH

Originally posted by Chief:

TROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
  • TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by eddie23:
I've seen what both Smith and Hill can do... and believe me, I'd rather keep Hill in there.

Exactly! What the f**k is our other alternative!!??!!

This isn't a Smith vs. Hill thread. While a small part of me is still attached to the #1 overall allure of Smith and his apparently squandered potential, I think Hill has done enough in these two games to at least vindicate his appointment as the starter given the competition.
  • TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by GORE-ILLA:
when will it stop...the Alex Smith kool-aid is still being shoved in our faces...the guy looks like Jamarcus Russel on a bad day when he's out there...and all we hear is weak arm this and non athletic that about Shaun Hill...Smith lovers need to wake up...SHUAN HILL IS A BETTER QB THAN ALEX SMITH

I'm not sure whom this post is directed at, but I am the one who started this thread, and I am more than prepared to agree that Hill is the better QB of the two. My concerns are about whether Hill is good enough to get us from, say, GoFD stage #2 to stage #3.
  • TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by oscarug:
I'm no football expert

HAHAHAHA Steve Young blatantly said you Hill doubters don't know football.....hmmmm I think I'll take Steve's words of some here on the Zone.

Great interview!!!! thankx for the link.

I'm not going to take the time to listen to it, but if Steve really says Hill is a great quarterback, that is a pretty convincing endorsement.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by kray28:

Well, nobody thought when we started the season that we would have won these first two games. Untill they play-you don't know which way the football gods will make the football bounce. As Berman said "that's why they play the game!" If they lose to these type of teams in the middle of the season, they can learn from it. I worry they win ugly all the way to the last four games then get trumped-because that can really wreck there confidence.

I don't own homer glasses, and if someone has no life they can look up my many past critical posts here about what the 49ers have been doing the last several years.

But now, I see they are turning a corner. No, I don't expect them to be great, beat up on the elite teams, or be a championship team this seaosn. But I think this season is a step towards future greatness. All the last several years were just talk, and did not actually take that step. You just get that feeling now when watching them. Fans miss the old wide open West Coast offense, but it is not what Singletary is about, and he has put his stamp on this team. Some fans are ripping the players for not being the next Montana or Rice in the offense, but that is not what the coach wants them to be. The fact we have guys doing it the way the coach wants, not throwing picks, turning over the ball, not deciding on their own to do something stupid... it is the first time in a while they are playing as a team.

So back to Hill...as Steve Young said he has half of the great QB playing down. That is the smart, don't cost your team the game kind of playing. The next thing to work on is expanding the repertoire to get the playmakers more involved in the passing game. I am sure they will be building on that as the season progresses. It is a work in progress, and I bet the offense is going to look better as the season goes on.
Share 49ersWebzone