LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 268 users in the forums

Allen Rossum - He fell off

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He's probably high off the crystal meth.

Rossum is the best KR we've had in a LONG time. How can you say he fell off after just one game?
Any kick returner's success, young or old, is measured by the blocks our special team can deliver for him. -Our special teams are usually mediocre until the 4th week when everybody knows their place.
i agree, and im PRETTY sure thats why spurlock made the team. he was definitly decent as a wr in preseason, but so were others. but i think his return skills were the edge.
IMHO, I rather cut Rossom and get younger. Add Sheets to the 53 man, and have him return kicks. Then you could put either Spurlock or Battle to return punts.
It's not his fault the ST Coach made him reverse it to Clements.

I hate that play.
Originally posted by Chief:
It's been one game, I can't tell yet.

Gore fell off to?

To all of you who want to cut Rossum...

Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
To all of you who want to cut Rossum...

i f**king love that movie.
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Just because he doesn't fumble? Serious? No KR/PR is supposed to fumble PERIOD. If they do they find someone else to do the job.

He fell off, I don't blame him he's getting up there in age. He doesn't have the burst he used to have before, I'm not going to judge him so much after one game but I still don't think he's the same.

The only reason people even use fumbles as a good reason to keep Allen is because our previous couple of years we had some of the worst return men to ever touch the field. s**t, from Brandon Williams to Maurice "I'm going to run into the pile of 25 men instead of running through the hole!" Hicks, we've seen it all. lol

Didn't you watch the Bills vs New England game bro? I don't see Rossum committing that kind of blunder. Rossum is a solid return man. Its not like KR for TDs are frequent. There will be one or two a week for the ENTIRE NFL. Sometimes there are none. We need a solid ball handler who knows what to do in certain situations. And, he has proven he can take em back. He has a KR for TD last year and a punt return a year before that with the Steelers. He fine, we don't have time to experiment with KRs that might blow a game for us. We are not that good yet.

He's had a nice average and to me the best thing about Rossum is he HOLDS ON TO THE BALL!
Rossum is our best Returner since Vinny Sutherland
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by Method:
I know many of you guys like Allen Rossum as our kick return/ punt return guy, but I think he's done. I feel like the kick/punt returner should be a player who may not have one of the best averages, but is a threat to take it to the house every time he gets the ball. I'd much rather have someone who can do that over someone like Allen who has a very high average but has a very slim chance of taking it all the way.

A guy like Josh Cribbs, who only has 2 touchdowns for his career as a returner, is still feared by every team that kicks it to him so they actually have to game plan a little more for the threat. For Allen, no one gives a s**t because the dude doesn't have that extra gear anymore.

Are you happy with Allen's play or do you, like I do, hope we get a new PR/KR?

as long as he never fumbles, he's ok in my books

Im with you on that!!! Wonder what people thought when he returned that monday nighter? Helped keep us in that game.
Method, I would agree with you except that Rossum = Proven and Anyone Else = unproven.

Now NORMALLY this would not be a huge deal since the KR/PR position hasn't changed until recently. That change is that no team can use the Wedge on returns.

So the crux of the matter is to keep a known proven player there and the possibility of one taken to the house, or get rid of him in favor of an unknown who could be our next R.W. McQuarters. Remember THAT guy? He would run RIGHT INTO the back of the Wedge and promptly get tackled at around the 20 or less instead of using it for what it was meant for sucking in the KOSquad and bouncing out to the sideline with the least personnel on it.

I have to say that I never never never NEVER want to go through that again. It will happen but I'll take Rossum until the wheels fall off his cart on the field.

Now I will say that we should be working in the occasional guy so that we can get them going. Kind of like what Walsh used to do with Montana to keep him healthy. If we're up and the game is out of reach for our opponent, pull him and send in the 2nd and 3rd teamer. Which is one reason why this team hasn't done much over the last 5-7 years and not seen a playoff berth since what '02?
~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Sep 18, 2009 at 4:05 PM ]
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
...Now I will say that we should be working in the occasional guy so that we can get them going. Kind of like what Walsh used to do with Montana to keep him healthy. If we're up and the game is out of reach for our opponent, pull him and send in the 2nd and 3rd teamer. Which is one reason why this team hasn't done much over the last 5-7 years and not seen a playoff berth since what '02?
~Ceadder

I can't even remember the last time we put a game out of reach??

The Steve Young era?

Share 49ersWebzone