There are 204 users in the forums

Allen Rossum - He fell off

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I know many of you guys like Allen Rossum as our kick return/ punt return guy, but I think he's done. I feel like the kick/punt returner should be a player who may not have one of the best averages, but is a threat to take it to the house every time he gets the ball. I'd much rather have someone who can do that over someone like Allen who has a very high average but has a very slim chance of taking it all the way.

A guy like Josh Cribbs, who only has 2 touchdowns for his career as a returner, is still feared by every team that kicks it to him so they actually have to game plan a little more for the threat. For Allen, no one gives a s**t because the dude doesn't have that extra gear anymore.

Are you happy with Allen's play or do you, like I do, hope we get a new PR/KR?
Spurlock?
I thought he was done when we signed him. I was off by a year. I still say it was a pointless acquisition.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Method:
I know many of you guys like Allen Rossum as our kick return/ punt return guy, but I think he's done. I feel like the kick/punt returner should be a player who may not have one of the best averages, but is a threat to take it to the house every time he gets the ball. I'd much rather have someone who can do that over someone like Allen who has a very high average but has a very slim chance of taking it all the way.

A guy like Josh Cribbs, who only has 2 touchdowns for his career as a returner, is still feared by every team that kicks it to him so they actually have to game plan a little more for the threat. For Allen, no one gives a s**t because the dude doesn't have that extra gear anymore.

I hoped that this year. Was hoping Sheets/Spurlock or Delanie could handle the KR dduties. While letting Battle handle the PR duties. Mainly just so our KR/PR wasn't just a KR/PR and open a roster spot for someone who'll contribute at their natural position as well.
[ Edited by krizay on Sep 17, 2009 at 4:54 PM ]
Didn't they draft crabtree to return kicks
100% disagree. We are judging this by one game and some preseason play?

Rossum was solid last year. Let's give him some time before we throw him out to pasture, ok?
Originally posted by krizay:

I hoped that this year. Was hoping Sheets/Spurlock or Delanie could handle the KR dduties. While letting Battle handle the PR duties. Mainly just so our KR/PR wasn't just a KR/PR and open a roster spot for someone who'll contribute at their natural position as well.

Let's not dismiss the fact that Rossum doesn't turn the ball over, and is always in the top of the league in average return yards. He may not bring it to the house often, but if he can get us 15-20 yards per punt return and not fumble I'd say he's doing a great job.
Originally posted by NickSh49:

Rossum was solid last year. Let's give him some time before we throw him out to pasture, ok?

I'm not judging by just this game. I felt this way last year as well, but we had so many other problems this one was left in the dust.
So you would rather want someone who is inconsistent?

You only 'fear' KRs if you know your coverage sucks..

-9fA
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Sep 17, 2009 at 4:58 PM ]
Originally posted by NickSh49:

Let him get a get a TD and everyone will be on his nuts....
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
Let him get a get a TD and everyone will be on his nuts....

as long as he never fumbles, he's ok in my books
yea we should probably get a guy like leodis mckelvin oh wait...

rossum doesn't fumble and does give us great field position from time to time,
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
Let him get a TD and everyone will be on his nuts....
[ Edited by PA9erFaithful on Sep 17, 2009 at 5:18 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone