There are 128 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Offensive post-game analysis (Week 1)

In defense of Hill:

We know he can't seem to get his act together until it really really matters, and we saw that again on Sunday. It was pretty similar to that last drive against the Rams at the end of last season, with a couple of tosses to Bruce, who he didn't throw much to otherwise. I'm starting to think that Hill is getting comfortable in the first 3 quarters of a game, which is the bad part because then he doesn't perform. Tighten the screws though, and magically he comes alive.

In defense of the playcalling on the last series

I was angry about this, I thought like a lot of people on this board, that for sure we needed to play action and go for the home run. But afterwards I was thinking about it: Cards had no more timeouts left, so if you run it you guarantee the 40 second run off. Which would you rather face: the cards with 1:20 left and no timeouts on their own 20, or the cards with 40 seconds left and no timeouts on their own 20. Given the way out D had been stopping them, I'd definitely take the latter, because if receivers can get out of bounds and if you have receivers like Fitz and Boldin, those extra 40 seconds can be critical. I like to think that Raye was just playing the odds, and that he happily happened to win this time.
Look at it this way with our gameplan we don't really expose our offense until we needed it which makes it more difficult to gameplan against our passing game.
Originally posted by Thizz415:
He was very predictable, had he mixed it up with passing plays that involved screens, slants, dump-offs, he would have kept the cards defense on their toes.

I do not blame the oline as much as i blame raye and his play calling. Oline can't block 9 guys, especially when they blitz up the middle.

O/line did the best they could and you really can't run when the box is stacked with 7 or 8 guys rushing the line.I'm with you.The plays should of included more of what you said.That would of helped a lot during the 2nd and 3rd qtr.I actually thought the line held up okay with all the blitz packages the cards were running against the 9ERS. Even if we did'nt run worth a darn and Hill was sacked a few times.Screens and those dumpoffs would opened lanes more.Yes the o/c gotta be a little more creative with his conservativness and on top of that looks like it gonna be a tough season for most running offense in the nfl.
According to football outsiders, our offense was the 6th-worst in the league.

The only bright spot is the fact that maybe Raye will understand that you can't just continue to pound the ball up the middle when we're averaging a yard per carry. More dink-and-dunk stuff with Hill should be enough to get us up to at least the middle of the pack offensively, which should be enough to win the division.

First post!
It looks to me, that in spite of our dislike of the play calling Raye called enough right plays to win the game. If the plan was to wear out the Cardinals defense to open enough of the game for us to make a good run in the 4th quarter of a tight game then again Raye did well. So when all was said and done we won. Now it would be a lot better if we had enough of a run attack to draw the defense in, make them be honest, and then start working the play action. So this next game will tell us a lot more of what Raye wants to call, and what the team is capable of doing with Raye's play calling. Hopefully another win, pretty or ugly, I don't care as long as we are growing as a team.
This is going to sound pretty bad butt, if we beat seahawks by just a little... This gives me the scare of 2007 remember when we were 2-0 and everything was great...than the season tanked..For the sake of raye play calling lets not repeat that.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Look at it this way with our gameplan we don't really expose our offense until we needed it which makes it more difficult to gameplan against our passing game.

LOL your glass is more than half full.

-9fA
Originally posted by NFSB86:
This is going to sound pretty bad butt, if we beat seahawks by just a little... This gives me the scare of 2007 remember when we were 2-0 and everything was great...than the season tanked..For the sake of raye play calling lets not repeat that.

I feel the same way, except the difference is.. I feel like we actually are almost on the same level of talent, as the cards/hawks. In 07 we sucked, so to start 2-0 was a miracle.