LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 290 users in the forums

Offensive post-game analysis (Week 1)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Here is what I saw, minus volume at the sports bar here in Ohio:

1) Hill seems to always make it look ugly, but in the end, he wins. I don't know how far he can take us, but the guys always seem to rally in the end behind him, even if he is off for much of the game. Very solid final drive.

2) I paid a LOT of attention to the OL, and here is how I would grade them:
* Staley and Heitmann played well for the majority of snaps. I saw Staley beaten twice, but not cleanly. Heitmann was beaten once on a run play, and a mix-up on pass protection with an inside blitz. Staley controlled the edge in the pass rush well, but was mediocre in run blocking. Heitmann did a fine job orchestrating protection for the myriad of inside blitzes the Cards through at the Niners all day. Had a great block, along with Rachal, on Gore's inside TD run. Brilliant by both players.
* Rachal had an up and down day. Gore's TD run was beautiful. Had some nice blocks on downfield runs. Runs very well on screen plays. His continual problem is angles. He seems to be beat far too often (some that were embarrassing) with quick interior defenders, and will need to be more consistent to be considered a solid starter. A certain work in progress.
* Baas really struggled today. Did a nice job on a few interior runs, but, like Rachal, takes bad angles. Unlike Rachal, he does not have the athleticism to recover, and, gets burned way too often. A serious problem all day for our OL. However, he was not the worst.
* Snyder- All I can say is "Yikes"! Until that last drive, was absolutely abominable. Torched repeatedly around the corner all afternoon, missed blocking assignments on run plays, looked really stiff, and has to be replaced. I couldn't figure out which RT on the field played worse in this game, since both stunk up the joint. As much as the majority of the board hates Sims, I have never seen Sims play this badly in a game. The team has to take a serious look at Pashos this week, and honestly, I'd be surprised if Snyder starts against the Seahawks. Made me pray for the return of Kwame Harris or Anthony Clements.

3) The Niners have to solve their problem with teams stacking the box. Until the end of the game (and I have no idea why the Cards played back in the final drive), the Cards showed no respect to the passing game. Frank Gore is going to look like Al Gore running the football if 8 guys are stacked in the box on every down.

Dare I say the two most evil words in the world: Michael Crabtree. Whether it is him, or someone else who the defense has to take seriously, this is going to be a problem.

You should watch the game again from your TIVO.
You seem to love Heitmann and dislike Snyder, so I can see how you subconsciously came to these conclusions.

In a word, "no," Adam Snyder is not in danger of losing his job; let me break down what happened.

Snyder:
1) In the first half there was a jail break blitz from the Cardinals. Their linebackers got through and Hill had to step back a step or two, this allowed Snyder's man to get around him and come in for the sack.
2) There was a play action where Snyder had to block down on Dockett (one of the best in the game) because he committed to a hard inside move. Unfortunately, David Baas was pulling on this play action and he ran straight into Dockett on the opposite side of Snyder. This caused Snyder to lose Dockett (Snyder can't block Baas and Dockett at the same time). If Baas did not run into Snyder's man it looks like Snyder would have washed Dockett to the outside. That one goes on the scheme, not Snyder.
3) There was a running play that LOOKED like Snyder got stuffed and Gore was tackled in the backfield. What happened was that Vernon Davis had to block down on a 300lb defensive end. It didn't work, and Davis was thrown 7 yards backwards into the hole. Snyder was blocking his man just fine on the edge, but it might have looked like it was his fault while watching at a sports bar.
4) There was another play that looked like Snyder got blown up on a run block. Snyder had to block down and he did fine, but then a linebacker came in through the middle. It looked like a big mess, Snyder actually peeled OFF his man and tried to stop the linebacker coming through the middle. On live TV, it probably looked like Snyder got killed by this linebacker when in reality, this guy was not his man.
5) Earlier on a run, Snyder sealed the edge just fine, but a linebacker came in (on yet another run blitz, will Raye ever get a clue?) right into the hole, and Gore tried to bounce outside, but there was nowhere to bounce because the edge was already sealed by Snyder (it was through the hole or nothing). This may have caused you to blame Snyder again because it was officially "Snyder's man" who made the tackle.
6) In the second half, Snyder got beat badly on a play. I'm sure this particular play is one you remembered. Snyder stupidly was trying to get a last minute signal in, he was literally pointing and had his head turned looking to his left at the center while the ball was snapped. He was trying to point out a blitz pickup, but the ball was snapped and he was out of position and let the guy easily get around him. This was a bad mental error and not a physical one.
7) There was another play action where Snyder blocked his man as if he was run blocking, but his man didn't buy it and threw him aside and got in just as Hill was throwing the ball. However, I believe this was the long bomb play to Bruce, so it looks like it worked.
8) Snyder blocked down on a lot of the Cardinals blitzes, this looked like Scheme more than anything. He blocked down on Gore's touchdown catch, for example, which allowed the linebacker to come in free, but I guess it worked.

Snyder had a lot of GREAT blocks in the running game and blocked well in the passing game on the vast majority of his plays.
His job is nice and secure and he will remain the starter after the coaches watch the film.

Baas:
Baas looked very raw out there. He only had like 1 or 2 weeks of practice so I think we need to cut him some slack, he made some nice plays and was generally a strong blocker.

Staley:
Generally solid, but I was focusing on the other guys.

Rachal:
Messed up a few times. He gets fooled a little too easily and seems to have trouble with his footwork, I think he fell over himself once or twice.
He seems to struggle with our strange, slow developing running scheme.

Heitmann:
I'm not going to complain about Heitman, because he does too many things well for me to nit pick him. But...
He was bull rushed into the pocket multiple times.
He is good, but Pro-Bowl caliber? I don't think he is physically gifted enough.
Like I've always said about Heitmann, he does everything perfect, except he gets pushed around a little too much.

Lots of pulls, traps and play actions seemed to confuse our own team more than they confused the Cardinals. Our players were tripping over each other and many running plays took a LONG time to develop.

The Cardinals did what they should have done. Attack! Attack! Attack!
They run blitzed our line all day, and our slow developing plays were no match for their defensive scheme.

Our O-line played much better than this game might have indicated.
We were blowing people up many times, its just that we were outnumbered all day. Their linebackers and safeties were living in our backfield, and we rarely took advantage of this with aggressive passes.

I think we will learn a lot from watching the film of this game.
We really hurt ourselves a lot with slow developing plays, both in the pass and run.

Also, after watching the game again, Shaun Hill missed a lot of opportunities. There were open receives on many occasions.
He needs to play better.

But you're right MadDog. At 8-3, he just seems to know "how to win."

Not as concerned with Snyder's run blocking as his pass blocking. Simply gets beat to the point of attack far too many times, either inside or outside.

I will say that Baas and Snyder should stay as far away from each other as possible. They screwed up virtually every tandem opportunity, some funny, and some maddening.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
My biggest disappointment with the offense starts and ends with the playcalling.

Not once did I notice even an attempt by the playcallers to adjust to the Cardinal D's propensity to overblitz and attack. The playcalling lacked balance and displayed a pigheaded stubbornness that epitomizes flagrant idiocy.

The adjustment (shorter drops, more emphasis on the underneath game, screens, uptempo/no-huddle offense) was pretty obvious, but it never came. Basically we won because of two or three big plays and the defense's ability to stymie the Card O and harass and rattle Warner.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Leave it to a select few in the Zone to whine and b**ch after a win.

Sure we have some things to work on but who doesn't? Fire Raye? C'mon seriously. We went in to a tough place to win and guess what? We won. Quit being such f**king buzzkills.

Winning isn't everything. Playing well is everything, because the winning will take care of itself if you play well.

Evidence?

How about just about every season for the last 5 years?

For example, last year, we were 2-1 to start the season, but didn't have a good pass rush or OT depth during that stretch which was foreboding.
Jennings goes down and then we are in trouble, combine that will lack of pressure and we end up 7-9.

The year before, we won our first two games, two UGLY games. The defense held the team up by a thread in both those games, just like they did last Sunday.

All fans want is a complete EFFORT. Forget talent.

If the coaching philosophy depends upon the defense to stop the other team most of the time, I'm sorry but that is a piss poor philosophy.

We can actually be a GOOD team, if we would only allow our offense to take what the defense is willing to give us, rather than force feed the running game for no reason other than to be stubborn.

If we maintain this absurd offensive philosophy of "pound the ball" we will not have a winning record this year.

We are crippling ourselves again.

If we think 3n'outs, end-arounds, and "pray for a defensive stop" is winning football, then yes, I will say it, I could do a better job play-calling then Jimmy Raye.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Leave it to a select few in the Zone to whine and b**ch after a win.

Sure we have some things to work on but who doesn't? Fire Raye? C'mon seriously. We went in to a tough place to win and guess what? We won. Quit being such f**king buzzkills.

Winning isn't everything. Playing well is everything, because the winning will take care of itself if you play well.

Evidence?

How about just about every season for the last 5 years?

For example, last year, we were 2-1 to start the season, but didn't have a good pass rush or OT depth during that stretch which was foreboding.
Jennings goes down and then we are in trouble, combine that will lack of pressure and we end up 7-9.

The year before, we won our first two games, two UGLY games. The defense held the team up by a thread in both those games, just like they did last Sunday.

All fans want is a complete EFFORT. Forget talent.

If the coaching philosophy depends upon the defense to stop the other team most of the time, I'm sorry but that is a piss poor philosophy.

We can actually be a GOOD team, if we would only allow our offense to take what the defense is willing to give us, rather than force feed the running game for no reason other than to be stubborn.

If we maintain this absurd offensive philosophy of "pound the ball" we will not have a winning record this year.

We are crippling ourselves again.

If we think 3n'outs, end-arounds, and "pray for a defensive stop" is winning football, then yes, I will say it, I could do a better job play-calling then Jimmy Raye.

every one on a couch "can call a better game"

but I doubt it.
For those who broke it down, nice analysis! Now, here's my rant...

I agree. The play calling was absolutely terrible and truly sent the message to Hill and the rest of the offense, "We don't trust you!"

After a tremendous drive he doesn't trust Hill to throw a 3-4 yard pass on 3rd and 3/4? 3 straight runs from the 2?

Clearly the Tards were run blitzing and stacking 8-9 men in the box and it was VERY obvious not only WHEN we were going to run but WHERE. They ran blitz up the middle ALL game. Did we even run one single off-tackle run? Pitch-outs? Gore had nothing up the middle and THIS is when you need a change-of-pace back; someone with speed and quickness. Clayton would have been ideal here.

More passes to the TE's underneath would help back the LB's off. Quick slants? Post patterns? We ran one reverse with our slowest WR. Screen passes? How about putting Hill in shot gun more so he had more then 2 seconds to find a WR. Most of the WR routes I saw were deep but Hill had no time to see them even if they were open. I saw ZERO half-time adjustments again and consequently, Hill had another poor 3rd quarter for the most part.

This was about as vanilla as it gets folks - clearly playing not to lose as opposed to playing to win.

We were very lucky this game. Hill is a rhythm-guy and needs to get in a groove early which then opens up the ground game for Gore.

This was a terrible game-plan with no in-game adjustments that clearly played to our weaknesses, IMO.

It's interesting how Singletary preaches an aggressive-style of mentality but in games, plays about as conservative as you can. That said, he has appeared to let Manusky coach and so far, it's working. If we can continue to show any semblance of a pass rush, Manusky will get more comfortable to attack and dictate.

Now, offensively, I read Singletary's comments regarding how the crowd noise had an impact on the offense and signal calls (though he didn't use it as an excuse). I didn't get the impression he was very happy with Raye's play-calling either. Raye better start calling games to our strengths, making in-game adjustments, half-time adjustments and utilizing the specialty athletes we have on offense or this is going to be a long year. I doubt we get this lucky again and good teams will continue to destroy us esp. if they know we'll stubbornly stick to our vanilla game-plan.
Originally posted by NCommand:
I didn't get the impression he was very happy with Raye's play-calling either. Raye better start calling games to our strengths, making in-game adjustments, half-time adjustments and utilizing the specialty athletes we have on offense or this is going to be a long year. I doubt we get this lucky again and good teams will continue to destroy us esp. if they know we'll stubbornly stick to our vanilla game-plan.

I picked up the same vibe. Gotta say that made me feel better.
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
I didn't get the impression he was very happy with Raye's play-calling either. Raye better start calling games to our strengths, making in-game adjustments, half-time adjustments and utilizing the specialty athletes we have on offense or this is going to be a long year. I doubt we get this lucky again and good teams will continue to destroy us esp. if they know we'll stubbornly stick to our vanilla game-plan.

Oh good! I was hoping I wasn't the only one! For a o-coordinator that has 100 years of experience and who had all off-season to see our strengths, I was surprised he didn't have a better game plan, made some more then obvious adjustments to what the Cards were doing defensively and no halftime adjustments. And then AFTER seeing Hill's two TD drives and how we had the Cards on their heels, we then go back to run up the middle, run up the middle, run up the middle, punt again? Very poor coordinating IMHO. The only time a coordinator should be stubborn is WHEN IT'S WORKING!!!
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:

Yeah, I don't think Sing is a conservative type of guy when it's time to twist your foot when it is on yor opponent's neck.
Jimmy raye needs to work in screens much much more if they are gonna run blitz every down then we need to get some sneaky screens in there to slow them down!!! Norv always dailed up the screen when it was needed and ..nothing i mean nothing our O did through youf or a loop kept the D off balence ..Vanilla O with run run run 4th and 7 punt is not gonna win anythign ever! What about a simple slant my lord something easy just to get the Dline to not t-off on us.
Originally posted by syoung8:
Jimmy raye needs to work in screens much much more if they are gonna run blitz every down then we need to get some sneaky screens in there to slow them down!!! Norv always dailed up the screen when it was needed and ..nothing i mean nothing our O did through youf or a loop kept the D off balence ..Vanilla O with run run run 4th and 7 punt is not gonna win anythign ever! What about a simple slant my lord something easy just to get the Dline to not t-off on us.

My fear is that our o-line is bad enough as it is. With teams stacking the LOS and run blitzing us to death, we are guaranteed to incur injuries with all the bodies flying around. That could be anyone on the o-line, Hill and even Gore. We lucked out last game so let's hope Raye gets it figured out. With three teams scrapping their offensive coordinators during pre-season, would Singletary do the same thing if Raye can't adapt to our strengths? And if so, when?

In defense of Hill:

We know he can't seem to get his act together until it really really matters, and we saw that again on Sunday. It was pretty similar to that last drive against the Rams at the end of last season, with a couple of tosses to Bruce, who he didn't throw much to otherwise. I'm starting to think that Hill is getting comfortable in the first 3 quarters of a game, which is the bad part because then he doesn't perform. Tighten the screws though, and magically he comes alive.

In defense of the playcalling on the last series

I was angry about this, I thought like a lot of people on this board, that for sure we needed to play action and go for the home run. But afterwards I was thinking about it: Cards had no more timeouts left, so if you run it you guarantee the 40 second run off. Which would you rather face: the cards with 1:20 left and no timeouts on their own 20, or the cards with 40 seconds left and no timeouts on their own 20. Given the way out D had been stopping them, I'd definitely take the latter, because if receivers can get out of bounds and if you have receivers like Fitz and Boldin, those extra 40 seconds can be critical. I like to think that Raye was just playing the odds, and that he happily happened to win this time.
Look at it this way with our gameplan we don't really expose our offense until we needed it which makes it more difficult to gameplan against our passing game.
Originally posted by Thizz415:
He was very predictable, had he mixed it up with passing plays that involved screens, slants, dump-offs, he would have kept the cards defense on their toes.

I do not blame the oline as much as i blame raye and his play calling. Oline can't block 9 guys, especially when they blitz up the middle.

O/line did the best they could and you really can't run when the box is stacked with 7 or 8 guys rushing the line.I'm with you.The plays should of included more of what you said.That would of helped a lot during the 2nd and 3rd qtr.I actually thought the line held up okay with all the blitz packages the cards were running against the 9ERS. Even if we did'nt run worth a darn and Hill was sacked a few times.Screens and those dumpoffs would opened lanes more.Yes the o/c gotta be a little more creative with his conservativness and on top of that looks like it gonna be a tough season for most running offense in the nfl.
According to football outsiders, our offense was the 6th-worst in the league.

The only bright spot is the fact that maybe Raye will understand that you can't just continue to pound the ball up the middle when we're averaging a yard per carry. More dink-and-dunk stuff with Hill should be enough to get us up to at least the middle of the pack offensively, which should be enough to win the division.

First post!
It looks to me, that in spite of our dislike of the play calling Raye called enough right plays to win the game. If the plan was to wear out the Cardinals defense to open enough of the game for us to make a good run in the 4th quarter of a tight game then again Raye did well. So when all was said and done we won. Now it would be a lot better if we had enough of a run attack to draw the defense in, make them be honest, and then start working the play action. So this next game will tell us a lot more of what Raye wants to call, and what the team is capable of doing with Raye's play calling. Hopefully another win, pretty or ugly, I don't care as long as we are growing as a team.
Share 49ersWebzone