There are 210 users in the forums

Offensive post-game analysis (Week 1)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It was disappointing that the run was ineffective. Makes me wonder if teams will try to do the same and make Hill win the game, so what ever problems the o-line was having need to be addressed this week.
I think we need crabtree. I was one of the first who said screw him let him go back to the draft but now I see how teams are going to play us this 8 to 9 in the box. How could you do that with Morgan, Davis and crabtree in the game. Davis is eating up Line backers and morgan looks good. but you can give help over morgan when you are not afraid of Bruce going deep anymore.
  • ptw1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kezar49er:
Originally posted by rob28:
as long as we keep hill in and alex on the bench, we can win ugly games like this. if alex was in there he would've blew the game for us somehow.

You dont know that. Smith didnt even smell the field today but that doesnt stop guys like you from throwing rocks at him any chance you get. There was good and bad about how we played today and the zone will discuss it all. In the the mean time why dont you find a new sand box to play in.

Hill has earned the starting spot, for right not, but too many people forget that Alex, with a lot less talent that is currently on the roster, was 7-5 in his last 12 starts with a healthly shoulder including impressive victories at SEA and at Den.
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Fire jimmy raye
Originally posted by LB49ers:
I think we need crabtree. I was one of the first who said screw him let him go back to the draft but now I see how teams are going to play us this 8 to 9 in the box. How could you do that with Morgan, Davis and crabtree in the game. Davis is eating up Line backers and morgan looks good. but you can give help over morgan when you are not afraid of Bruce going deep anymore.

Ummmmm NO!! There is no way that he is going to make any contribution this year. If we cave in to his demands we will have to do the same with every other player we draft. PLUS he is a unproven commodity. Why commit millons more to a unproven DIVA? Not only that I am affraid that he will be cancer in the locker room. Stay put and let him watch his money burn!!!!
Originally posted by JDeezy:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
I agree Jimmy Raye did an absolutely horrible job.

He's gotta step it up.

I wouldnt blame everything on Mr.Raye, Sing and Raye have both been screaming our game plan from mountain tops. What it came down to was our play calling was very predictable. What we need to do is implement our pa passes a lot more to freeze the d, instead of so many screens. But i would put a lot of Gores struggles on Rayes shoulders b/c it seems like he doesnt ever call running plays outside of the Ts, no tosses, no cuts. Its like they want gore to run through the oline every play and I dont know if they noticed, but it doesnt really work. Gore had a lot of success w turners offense we should try to emulate those running packages a little bit instead of him running between the Gs the whole game. S.Hill once again showing why how to manage a game, but he needs to shake some of thore overthrows. Maybe thatll happen and hell be more comfortable as tie season unfolds. Off to discuss D
Dockett was a wrecking ball. I was getting sick of hearing his name.
maybe we should just have alex start the game and hill finish it lol
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Here is what I saw, minus volume at the sports bar here in Ohio:

1) Hill seems to always make it look ugly, but in the end, he wins. I don't know how far he can take us, but the guys always seem to rally in the end behind him, even if he is off for much of the game. Very solid final drive.

2) I paid a LOT of attention to the OL, and here is how I would grade them:
* Staley and Heitmann played well for the majority of snaps. I saw Staley beaten twice, but not cleanly. Heitmann was beaten once on a run play, and a mix-up on pass protection with an inside blitz. Staley controlled the edge in the pass rush well, but was mediocre in run blocking. Heitmann did a fine job orchestrating protection for the myriad of inside blitzes the Cards through at the Niners all day. Had a great block, along with Rachal, on Gore's inside TD run. Brilliant by both players.
* Rachal had an up and down day. Gore's TD run was beautiful. Had some nice blocks on downfield runs. Runs very well on screen plays. His continual problem is angles. He seems to be beat far too often (some that were embarrassing) with quick interior defenders, and will need to be more consistent to be considered a solid starter. A certain work in progress.
* Baas really struggled today. Did a nice job on a few interior runs, but, like Rachal, takes bad angles. Unlike Rachal, he does not have the athleticism to recover, and, gets burned way too often. A serious problem all day for our OL. However, he was not the worst.
* Snyder- All I can say is "Yikes"! Until that last drive, was absolutely abominable. Torched repeatedly around the corner all afternoon, missed blocking assignments on run plays, looked really stiff, and has to be replaced. I couldn't figure out which RT on the field played worse in this game, since both stunk up the joint. As much as the majority of the board hates Sims, I have never seen Sims play this badly in a game. The team has to take a serious look at Pashos this week, and honestly, I'd be surprised if Snyder starts against the Seahawks. Made me pray for the return of Kwame Harris or Anthony Clements.

3) The Niners have to solve their problem with teams stacking the box. Until the end of the game (and I have no idea why the Cards played back in the final drive), the Cards showed no respect to the passing game. Frank Gore is going to look like Al Gore running the football if 8 guys are stacked in the box on every down.

Dare I say the two most evil words in the world: Michael Crabtree. Whether it is him, or someone else who the defense has to take seriously, this is going to be a problem.

Cardinals had 11(!!!) tackles for loss this game, the playcalling was terrible, and Snyder was simply beaten almost every play.
I agree its going to be long season if teams continue to stack the box every play. No one fears our receivers right now, nor should they.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Dockett was a wrecking ball. I was getting sick of hearing his name.

seemed like campbell was getting a lot of pressure too

Originally posted by kray28:
I'll be kind....something has to be done about the offensive playcalling. The last two possessions were disgraceful....basically pathetic attempts to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Agreed....how many runs was that in the last two posessions?........epic fail
but atleast we won.
Originally posted by footballxpaul:
hill was decent game manager but had alot of terrible throws that made me cringe and a couple of good ones. he will be fine for this year, but either smith has to step up or we have to draft a qb early. imo

I just disagree here - he was ineffective at best for all but one drive - and by the way the throws he made on that drive were there all day - he missed easy throws all day 3 wide open receivers - he is NOT good.

I understand there may not be an answer on the roster but man they need to figure one out because if this is the OFF they plan to bring to Seattle it is not going to be pretty...
We won the game. However poorly we played we won the game. The defense did not win the game, the team won the game - offense, defense, special teams. There were enough plays made that we won the game. No question improvements need to be made but we won the game. Play calling can improve but we won the game. Hill and the Oline can play better but we won the game. We won the game. Pretty no, but we won the game.

Now next week we get to see if we can improve. If we win the game I will be happy like this week. So I am happy because we won the game as a team.
it was maddening to watch how Raye did everything in his power to make us loose today, he was just trying to f**k this up time and time again, its pathetic to watch how a guy thats been in the NFL for like 50 years calls run run run and run run run and run run run i mean how the f**k he became an OC??? WE must do something about this, first test of the season for coach sing.
Originally posted by 9ermex:
it was maddening to watch how Raye did everything in his power to make us loose today, he was just trying to f**k this up time and time again, its pathetic to watch how a guy thats been in the NFL for like 50 years calls run run run and run run run and run run run i mean how the f**k he became an OC??? WE must do something about this, first test of the season for coach sing.

I disagree...we were trying to establish the run. The problem is the Cards knew we were gonna run the ball 60% of the time so they put 8 guys in the box...plus there D-line is far better than our O-line...raye wasn't trying to lose...we ran a lot but on 3rd down when we needed the 1st we passed the ball and got the 1st down

The 49ers definatley got some work to do before next week but I think we will be able to run the ball alot better against seattle

And why are you mad??? We won the game...
Share 49ersWebzone