LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

We Signed Pashos !!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/07/pashos-takes-step-back-to-take-step-forward/

Quote:
We've picked up some more information regarding the decision of former Jaguars offensive lineman Tony Pashos to refuse a pay cut in Jacksonville, opting instead to earn much less money with the 49ers.

Per a league source, Pashos didn't want to move to guard, even at a base salary of $3 million. So he opted for free agency, realizing that he likely wouldn't get $3 million on the open market. And he chose to sign with the 49ers for the chance to reunite with former Ravens offensive line coach Chris Foerster in San Francisco.

Even though Pashos will earn less than $2 million.

It was Foerster who helped make Pashos into the player who landed a big-money free-agency deal with the Jaguars. The goal, as we understand it, will be for Pashos to re-establish himself in San Fran under Foerster's tutelage, and then to make back the money he gave up this year once the 29-year-old lineman hits the market again.
Originally posted by crzy:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/07/pashos-takes-step-back-to-take-step-forward/

Quote:
We've picked up some more information regarding the decision of former Jaguars offensive lineman Tony Pashos to refuse a pay cut in Jacksonville, opting instead to earn much less money with the 49ers.

Per a league source, Pashos didn't want to move to guard, even at a base salary of $3 million. So he opted for free agency, realizing that he likely wouldn't get $3 million on the open market. And he chose to sign with the 49ers for the chance to reunite with former Ravens offensive line coach Chris Foerster in San Francisco.

It was Foerster who helped make Pashos into the player who landed a big-money free-agency deal with the Jaguars. The goal, as we understand it, will be for Pashos to re-establish himself in San Fran under Foerster's tutelage, and then to make back the money he gave up this year once the 29-year-old lineman hits the market again.

I don't like that last sentence. So he will play this year hoping to re-establish himself only to try and get more money elsewhere.
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran

Quote:

Cool, reunites with his ex-coach, all around good pick up, he can compete for starting time and at the very least give us a very backup for added depth
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by backontop:

Quote:

I don't like that last sentence. So he will play this year hoping to re-establish himself only to try and get more money elsewhere.

Not elsewhere but the "market". So we could get first crack at re-signing him. If he can demand a larger contract that can't be anything but good for us.

[ Edited by KID9R on Sep 7, 2009 at 14:02:02 ]
The fact is we have another quality OT to store the depths of our line. He's already known as a mauler and fits in perfectly.

Nice insurance!

• Lifer
  • Veteran

Quote:

They didn't say "more money elsewhere," they said more money when he hits the market again. That could be here, that could be somewhere else. He signed a one year contract in order to prove himself. If he beats out Snyder and establishes himself, he'll probably want to stay in SF and we'll have the first shot at signing him. If he can't beat out Snyder then he isn't worth resigning. This is a pretty typical strategy for someone in his shoes and often works out well for both the player and the team.
Originally posted by ninertico:
The fact is we have another quality OT to store the depths of our line. He's already known as a mauler and fits in perfectly.

Nice insurance!

I just got the swine flu, but I feel 10% better just knowing that Sims has been pushed behind Staley at LT now with the signing of Pashos!
Originally posted by Lifer:

Quote:

They didn't say "more money elsewhere," they said more money when he hits the market again. That could be here, that could be somewhere else. He signed a one year contract in order to prove himself. If he beats out Snyder and establishes himself, he'll probably want to stay in SF and we'll have the first shot at signing him. If he can't beat out Snyder then he isn't worth resigning. This is a pretty typical strategy for someone in his shoes and often works out well for both the player and the team.

yup, and besides, we didn't sign him to be the future at RT. we signed him for depth. the perfect situation would be if he doesn't play a down for us and then can be resigned on the cheap or moves on while we develop a younger player to hold down the position.
wow we cut Briggs fail
He's wearing number 77 in the team picture. I like it.

from looking at the jaguar blogs it doesn't look too great of a signing. Most of their fans are happy to get rid of him apparently:

"i'm very happy to see him cut, he was one of the worst tackles i've seen play and had probably the worst feet of any tackle i've seen by far. he just look like a tall uncordinated ogre chasing the d line rather then blocking them"

"the dude sucked, we have good depth still, all our OL guys have started multiple games in the NFL, outside of Monroe and Britten"

"so long tony penalty... I mean pashos"

"hallejuja!"

"Let's see if some sucker team will pay him what he believes is fit. "

"banana.gif banana.gif bye bye Mr Penalty "

"wooohooo....screw the money, thats about 30 yards per game in penalties we just saved "

Wow did we do the right thing. With this front office of noobs and business people not football people I have no idea. The front office hasn't successfully addressed the teams true needs for the past five years, the Marvel Smith signing, the Crabtree drafting, the Alex Smith signing. I just don't think they "mgmt" does their fair share of homework.

[ Edited by ninerfan818 on Sep 7, 2009 at 16:48:52 ]
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
from looking at the jaguar blogs it doesn't look too great of a signing. Most of their fans are happy to get rid of him apparently:

"i'm very happy to see him cut, he was one of the worst tackles i've seen play and had probably the worst feet of any tackle i've seen by far. he just look like a tall uncordinated ogre chasing the d line rather then blocking them"

"the dude sucked, we have good depth still, all our OL guys have started multiple games in the NFL, outside of Monroe and Britten"

"hallejuja!"

"wooohooo....screw the money, thats about 30 yards per game in penalties we just saved "

Wow did we do the right thing. With this front office of noobs and business people not football people I have no idea. The front office hasn't successfully addressed the teams true needs for the past five years, the Marvel Smith signing, the Crabtree drafting, the Alex Smith signing. I just don't think they "mgmt" does their fair share of homework.

Whenever a team loses a potential starter, those comments become all too common. I remember the forum blasting JPeterson when he left us for Seattle. Even when Beasley as well as others left, we kind of gave that "good riddens" attitude. They lost a potential starter. We gained one for relatively cheap.

+ 1 for us.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by ninerfan818:

"hallejuja!"

Whenever a team loses a potential starter, those comments become all too common. I remember the forum blasting JPeterson when he left us for Seattle. Even when Beasley as well as others left, we kind of gave that "good riddens" attitude. They lost a potential starter. We gained one for relatively cheap.

+ 1 for us.

I hope you're right my fellow niner fan.

Go Niners!!
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Briggs should have been kept on. Why not cut Manny Lawson or Barry Simms.

* Lawson only has one pass rush move
* Simms cannot pass protect
dont know if this was posted, from scouts inc

"Pashos has been with two teams during his seven year career, four seasons with Baltimore and the past three with Jacksonville. He started all 16 games at right tackle for the Jaguars in 2008 and does a good job of anchoring that side of the offensive line. He is a massive tackle with long arms, excellent strength and adequate athleticism. He is a powerful drive blocker that often simply engulfs opponents and uses his long arms to lock up opponents and drive them off the line.

He is not a natural knee bender and has to work to keep his pad level down to leverage his blocks. He tends to grab wide to engulf opponents and has just enough foot agility to work his way around and seal opponents off. He has limited lateral range in pas protection and often has to turn his hips to run rushers on by the pocket. He is susceptible to counter moves but can sink his hips to hunker down versus the bull rush."
Share 49ersWebzone