LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 312 users in the forums

We Signed Pashos !!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dj43:
Let's temper our enthusiasm for this a little bit by the recognition that the Jags drafted two OTs, one of which would replace Pashos. If Pashos were something special, Jacksonville would not have drafted the way they did.

What the 49ers got was what they were looking for; a BACKUP tackle. This allows Sims to become the swing man and Snyder to stay at ROT. That allows Snyder to concentrate on one spot and gives the 49ers the depth they were seeking.

the reasons were not due to poor play but to his High salary jacksonville is a team that is making no money and right now is blacked out on all home games!!! it was a $$$ move not cuz sucks!
Originally posted by syoung8:
Let's temper our enthusiasm for this a little bit by the recognition that the Jags drafted two OTs, one of which would replace Pashos. If Pashos were something special, Jacksonville would not have drafted the way they did.

What the 49ers got was what they were looking for; a BACKUP tackle. This allows Sims to become the swing man and Snyder to stay at ROT. That allows Snyder to concentrate on one spot and gives the 49ers the depth they were seeking.

the reasons were not due to poor play but to his High salary jacksonville is a team that is making no money and right now is blacked out on all home games!!! it was a $$$ move not cuz sucks!

Agreed, this seems like a salary driven move, more than anything else...
  • dj43

I disagree. Two reasons:

1. $4.9MILLION is NOT a lot of money for a starting OT in this league.

2. If he were so good, why did Jacksonville draft TWO offensive tackles. Monroe, the #8 pick in the draft will cost more than Pashos. Eben Britton, picked in the second round, will be no bargain either.

Sorry, the facts suggest Pashos was not the quality starter some are suggesting he might be. He has substantial flaws in his game for a guy that has been in the league 7 years.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Greatest signing ever.

That is, until he gives up a sack.

Then he's Satan, yes, even more evil than Barry Sims.

Then, he'd have to give up more than 10 sacks to do that before I put him in the Sims/Jennings/Harris category.

Actually Harris didn't give up many Sacks when he was with us. Probably cause he "Held" the opponent, but nobody said anything about causing penalty setbacks. Nevermind that the refs actually LOOKED to throw flags in Kwame's direction. And that such an act should NEVER happen from an official because he's SUPPOSED to go into a game unbiased...

...well anyway Kwame didn't give up many sacks.

~Ceadder

Yeah, Kwame was too busy hugging the DL. Also, Jennings wasn't there half the time, so he couldn't give up very many sacks either.
Cool I have no clue how good this dude is but we shall see.

I disagree. Two reasons:

2. If he were so good, why did Jacksonville draft TWO offensive tackles. Monroe, the #8 pick in the draft will cost more than Pashos. Eben Britton, picked in the second round, will be no bargain either.

Sorry, the facts suggest Pashos was not the quality starter some are suggesting he might be. He has substantial flaws in his game for a guy that has been in the league 7 years.

He can't have more flaws than Simms. This was a no-brainer imo.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Is this dude any good. I honestly know nothing about him.
Great pickup!!
Good, this gives me a lot more confidence about the o-line going into the season. Well done Niners
Good signing! Our Oline is set for 2009 now.....

If Snyder doesnt work out we have a safety net....

Some of you are over analyzing him before he even steps on the field. Now I highly doubt many of you 49er fans, including myself, watched him play being that he played for Jacksonville. Most of us probably have never heard of him. Let's wait till he gets on the field before we start formulating negative and positive opinions of him.

But as long as he's better than Barry Sims, i'll be happy with the signing. Sims has to go!

I disagree. Two reasons:

It was a cap move. Pashos had been moved to guard after they draft the Monroe and Britton and he didn't want to take the pay cut that entailed being moved, not to mention they were overcrowded at the tackle position. He played solid at RT last season. Taking Britton and putting him at RT won't cost as much as keeping Pashos contract. Tony is a stud but he is one hell of an upgrade over Sims that is forsure.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Some of you are over analyzing him before he even steps on the field. Now I highly doubt many of you 49er fans, including myself, watched him play being that he played for Jacksonville. Most of us probably have never heard of him. Let's wait till he gets on the field before we start formulating negative and positive opinions of him.

But as long as he's better than Barry Sims, i'll be happy with the signing. Sims has to go!

According to MB's article, "was great in run blocking -- Jimmy Raye must be giddy! -- but struggled at times in pass protection, especially against speed rushers."

What Pashos Offers to the 49ers... (ESPN)

This from Scouts Inc:

Quote:
Pashos has been with two teams during his seven year career, four seasons with Baltimore and the past three with Jacksonville. He started all 16 games at right tackle for the Jaguars in 2008 and does a good job of anchoring that side of the offensive line. He is a massive tackle with long arms, excellent strength and adequate athleticism. He is a powerful drive blocker that often simply engulfs opponents and uses his long arms to lock up opponents and drive them off the line. He is not a natural knee bender and has to work to keep his pad level down to leverage his blocks. He tends to grab wide to engulf opponents and has just enough foot agility to work his way around and seal opponents off. He has limited lateral range in pas protection and often has to turn his hips to run rushers on by the pocket. He is susceptible to counter moves but can sink his hips to hunker down versus the bull rush.

That description makes Pashos sound like a perfect fit for the run-emphasizing 49ers. He's a big slugger and prototypical right tackle. I would assume the 49ers promised Pashos what they promised Smith, a chance to compete for the starting job. Adam Snyder fared well at right tackle and might still be the favorite to start in Week 1.
I feel much better knowing we don't have to lean on Barry Sims as a backup going into the season. Like finding a health pak at an end stage just before you face a humongous boss
Share 49ersWebzone