LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 218 users in the forums

We Signed Pashos !!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Don’t know much about him except that he was a starter so hopefully this gives us some depth and quiets down those individuals who were ranting about lack of depth at OT and how Scotty and Sing don’t know what they are doing 30 seconds after the 53 man roster was posted on the internet
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheCatch:
Great! But why would he refuse to take 2.9 mil from the Jags, and then come to us for less than 2 mil? We need him bad. but I was just wondering.

May be 2 M base, but performance incentives to jack it up to 3-4 M overall.
49ers signed free agent OL Tony Pashos. Pashos was just released
Posted: 27 mins ago. | Source rotoworld.com
Player: Tony Pashos

49ers signed free agent OL Tony Pashos. Pashos was just released by the Jaguars on Saturday after refusing to take a pay cut. Now he's reportedly signing a one-year deal with the Niners for less than what the Jags offered.
http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nfl/Tony_Pashos/513218[url=null]null[/url]

[49ers] 49ers Sign Free Agent OT Tony Pashos To One-Year Deal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sirius NFL Radio's Two-Minute Drill is reporting that the San Francisco 49ers have agreed to terms with Ex-Jaguars and free agent offensive lineman Tony Pashos. Pashos refused to take a pay cut in Jacksonville and in turn was released on Saturday. The 49ers reportedly are offering Pashos a one-year deal.

Source: Gridironfans.com
http://gridironfans.com/forums/latest-nfl-headlines/106643-49ers-sign-free-agent-ot-tony-pashos.html[url=null]null[/url]

[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Sep 7, 2009 at 07:28:33 ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
LT: Staley/Sims
LG: Baas/Wragge
OC: Heitmann/Wallace
RG: Rachal
RT: Snyder/Pashos

Tackles are somewhat deep for the running game, very questionable for the passing game.
If he's any good then I would look for another O Lineman be cut.
What Pashos offers to the 49ers

September 7, 2009 10:22 AM
Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando

ESPN's Adam Schefter is reporting an agreement between the 49ers and veteran offensive tackle Tony Pashos. The 49ers definitely needed depth at offensive tackle after back problems forced veteran Marvel Smith into retirement.

Here's the Scouts Inc. analysis on Pashos:

Pashos has been with two teams during his seven year career, four seasons with Baltimore and the past three with Jacksonville. He started all 16 games at right tackle for the Jaguars in 2008 and does a good job of anchoring that side of the offensive line. He is a massive tackle with long arms, excellent strength and adequate athleticism. He is a powerful drive blocker that often simply engulfs opponents and uses his long arms to lock up opponents and drive them off the line. He is not a natural knee bender and has to work to keep his pad level down to leverage his blocks. He tends to grab wide to engulf opponents and has just enough foot agility to work his way around and seal opponents off. He has limited lateral range in pas protection and often has to turn his hips to run rushers on by the pocket. He is susceptible to counter moves but can sink his hips to hunker down versus the bull rush.

That description makes Pashos sound like a perfect fit for the run-emphasizing 49ers. He's a big slugger and prototypical right tackle. I would assume the 49ers promised Pashos what they promised Smith, a chance to compete for the starting job. Adam Snyder fared well at right tackle and might still be the favorite to start in Week 1.

ESPN.COM
Does anyone know who's getting cut to make room for Pashos?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by olapac:

Spurlock, Briggs, RJF, Hudson, or Taylor.
Originally posted by olapac:

I do know they left 1 spot open on the practice squad in anticipation of signing pashos.......so that means it will be a young guy that has practice squad eligibility left.
Originally posted by TheCatch:
Great! But why would he refuse to take 2.9 mil from the Jags, and then come to us for less than 2 mil? We need him bad. but I was just wondering.

I think it is because Pashos feels he has a good chance to crack the starting lineup here in San Fran. If he plays well he can land another contract. If he stayed in Jax he would likely not start and next year with no current film on him the chance of getting another long term contract diminishes.

That's my guess.

Great job by our front office!
Very solid pickup. He is a really good run blocker, and a solid enough pass blocker. Kind of reminds of Scott Gragg, a big mauler who is a really good blocker but struggles a bit vs speed rushers. I think he is a solid starting RT in this league and we are lucky to get him this late.
I wonder what Snyder is thinking? He thought he finally had a position sewn up at RT, and now a beast like Pashos is signed. I would be quite frustrated if I were him. Hopefully the competition will inspire both to step their game up.
Pashos is far from a Beast. Snyder minus any further injuries has the starter job locked up.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
I hope that's true. He's a solid player and we need some depth at RT after Smith retired.

yeah real solid!!
Share 49ersWebzone