LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

We Signed Pashos !!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Bye-bye Curtis Taylor?
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
I wonder what Snyder is thinking? He thought he finally had a position sewn up at RT, and now a beast like Pashos is signed. I would be quite frustrated if I were him. Hopefully the competition will inspire both to step their game up.

I think Snyder is still the starter. And as long as he plays well, he'll remain there. But he has to understand that we need depth. Can't go into the season with only Sims as a backup Tackle.
  • nekst
  • Info N/A
I hope we cut Barry Sims. We haven't carried nine offensive linemen on our 53-man roster in a while.
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
Originally posted by TheCatch:
Great! But why would he refuse to take 2.9 mil from the Jags, and then come to us for less than 2 mil? We need him bad. but I was just wondering.

I think it is because Pashos feels he has a good chance to crack the starting lineup here in San Fran. If he plays well he can land another contract. If he stayed in Jax he would likely not start and next year with no current film on him the chance of getting another long term contract diminishes.

That's my guess.

I agree, that would be my guess as well.

Also, I think he refused the 2.9 mil because he thought that he could earn more on the free market. So the Jaguars cut him and now it seems that the free market did not want to pay him that much, but since he is cut, he would be without a team now.

I think at that point, an offer from the Niners even at less than 2 mil, with a decent chance of starting is a whole lot better than being unemployed.

Anyway, I think this is a good signing for the Niners. Even though I think Snyder should and will start, having Pashos as a backup makes me feel much better about our O-Line situation
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Bye-bye Curtis Taylor?

Not with Lewis's concussions, we need the depth at S. I would say maybe one of the DE's.
I wonder why none of the 49er beat reporters haven't posted anything yet
Good signing and I would guess Curtis Taylor is headed for the practice squad.

Would we release Sims now?
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

Can't release Sims just yet, Pashos needs at least a week or two of practice with this team and learn of the scheme, even if it's an early scheme to learn. Im pretty sure he won't even dress vs AZ.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Very solid pickup. He is a really good run blocker, and a solid enough pass blocker. Kind of reminds of Scott Gragg, a big mauler who is a really good blocker but struggles a bit vs speed rushers. I think he is a solid starting RT in this league and we are lucky to get him this late.

We picked up Gragg in a very similar situation: He was cut by the Giants for salary cap reasons after refusing to take a pay cut, and we signed him on the eve of the 2000 season. He turned out to be our starting RT and a really solid player for us for four years. We can only hope that Pashos turns out as good as Gragg. Great signing!
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:
I wonder why none of the 49er beat reporters haven't posted anything yet

Maybe they're still asleep.

• evil
  • Veteran

Depends on Lewis, same with Briggs as he depends on Brooks status for week 1. Could be RJF who gets cut.
  • nekst
  • Info N/A
Why don't we put Brandon Jones on the PUP list since he's probably going to be out until Week 4 or Week 5 anyways?
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Depends on Lewis, same with Briggs as he depends on Brooks status for week 1. Could be RJF who gets cut.

Hope we don't cut RJF, I really like what I see from him.
Originally posted by nekst:
Why don't we put Brandon Jones on the PUP list since he's probably going to be out until Week 4 or Week 5 anyways?

We couldn't even if we wanted to, he's not eligible because he didn't come into camp on the PUP list. Once a guy gets into camp and passes his physical, he loses eligibility for the PUP list.
MM is now reporting that we have signed Pashos:
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/09/pashos-agrees-to-1-year-deal-with-49ers.html

That's a very good pickup in a position of great need. Now I hope Simms is gone in a few weeks once Pashos is up to speed.

[ Edited by fzrdave on Sep 7, 2009 at 08:25:43 ]
Share 49ersWebzone