LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

Unkindest Cut - Kory Sheets

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If he clears he'll make the practice squad... but Sheets isn't ready for the show. He couldn't block or pick up the blitz this preseason. The last time the 9ers forced the issue and took a player that couldn't block and pick up the blitz, they lost Steve Young for ever - Thanks a lot Mr. Phillips.
I think we're all excited by what we've seen from him but we have to consider he was running against backup defensive players who for the most part were cut with him. A RB who cant block or pick up the blitz will never play, have to be a complete back in this league. I was hoping we would keep him but he is basically Thomas Clayton part 2 and we were all saying the same thing when he got cut....
Originally posted by Faithful1978:
I think we're all excited by what we've seen from him but we have to consider he was running against backup defensive players who for the most part were cut with him. A RB who cant block or pick up the blitz will never play, have to be a complete back in this league. I was hoping we would keep him but he is basically Thomas Clayton part 2 and we were all saying the same thing when he got cut....

I hope we can get him on the practice squad so Rathman can work with the guy some more to get him ready.
Originally posted by Micky6:
If he clears he'll make the practice squad... but Sheets isn't ready for the show. He couldn't block or pick up the blitz this preseason. The last time the 9ers forced the issue and took a player that couldn't block and pick up the blitz, they lost Steve Young for ever - Thanks a lot Mr. Phillips.

"Mr" is a sign of respect, it should never be used when referring to that piece of trash. When he wasn't beating women or running down kids in his car, he was on the football field daydreaming about it...and not picking up the blitz.
Robinson should have been cut 2 years ago, enough said.
Originally posted by GoldRush:

We are of the same mind, but not many people seem to agree with us. He's not fast enough to play RB, not big enough to play FB and takes a roster spot because he plays good special teams. I don't understand it.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Last I heard you could teach someone how to block, but you can't teach speed. I don't understand why they let this kid go.
Originally posted by Thizz415:
i think the bears will pick him up.

They already have Garret Wolf, a similar kind of back... unless they cut him

He does his assignments and thats what they want in the nfl. If Sheets was 230 with that kind of speed he may have had a better chance, but if your not picking up blitzes like your supposed or not hitting the right holes your a liability to the team. Robinson must be better at all the "small" things and thats what keeps him around. The kid is just a football player
I'm really hoping he clears waivers and can go on the practice squad. If he does, I am just about certain that he'll find his way on the 53 man roster at some point during the season.

bottom LINE we kept barry simms but cut kory sheets.... makes no sense
makes no differenc to me that they cut a guy who wasn't gonna play a single down
  • nekst
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by btwagner:
With his speed would he not have any return ability?? Rossum is good but he has lost a gear......I like that they kept spurlock also....just think if A**tree ever signs his contract they will be cutting Hill likely....I personally would rather keep hill around and lose rossum....

He returned a kickoff in the game against the San Diego Chargers game and had more yards than Allen Rossum AND Michael Spurlock.
MM's twitter:
Person close to Kory Sheets says it's in his best interest to go unclaimed & return to 49ers practice squad. He might not be quite ready.

Good sign, knows he's not necessarily ready for the NFL based on college accolades (like some diva we know).

Also favors the Niners?
Originally posted by steiber:

We are of the same mind, but not many people seem to agree with us. He's not fast enough to play RB, not big enough to play FB and takes a roster spot because he plays good special teams. I don't understand it.

Every team in the league has players specifically for special teams. A team like ours will likely often win or lose on the strength of our kick coverage and/or return game. Seems more important to me than having a 3rd running back who probably has not yet fully picked up the system who would likely only see 10 carries for the year.
Share 49ersWebzone