LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 209 users in the forums

Unkindest Cut - Kory Sheets

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Blackgoat49ers5
  • Info N/A
Sheets will get picked up by some team and have an exceptional career with them... unlike Robinson who is good at picking up one or 2 yards a carry!
What if Gore gets injured? We plan on pounding the ball down teams throats so this will just leave us with Coffee and Robinson? He's going to have to share some carries with 1 yard a carry Michael Robinson.
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
They're clinging to Robinson probably because he can play multiple positions and is a decent blocker, most of which Sheets can't do, yet.

Well Robinson contributes alot on Special Teams
They only reason Robinson is still on the team is because we wasted a 4th round draft pick on him. If giving a couple years on the roster Sheets could be a solid player.
Originally posted by valrod33:
im glad he is gone, now everybody can get off his nuts

You are glad that a player who played well in the preseason is gone? What a great 9er fan!
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
What if Gore gets injured? We plan on pounding the ball down teams throats so this will just leave us with Coffee and Robinson? He's going to have to share some carries with 1 yard a carry Michael Robinson.

More like half a yard (Monday Night Game last year vs. Arizona)
I agree. I'm not sure what michael robinson really brings to the team or how he helps us "win now". Surely we can fill in on special teams. It's going to be nice to have coffee but an actual change of pace back seemed to be a better deal. I'd love to have a speedy sheets in a game to take advantage of some 3rd and long situations on draws or as a reciever once in a while. I know MRob "shows up" but it's like he is always "almost" making plays.
You guys still don't get it, do you?

He's gonna be a 3rd string RB on our team. Nothing more.

He's probably going to see 1-2 carries a game, unless injuries occur which is when we can bring him up from the practice squad.

You can't have 3rd teamers on the team doing nothing but carrying the ball once again. You have to be able to make a contribution in other ways and this is why Robinson makes it over Sheets.

Every year we have "Robinson should be cut" threads...but he never is.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

He's probably going to see 1-2 carries a game, unless injuries occur which is when we can bring him up from the practice squad.

You can't have 3rd teamers on the team doing nothing but carrying the ball once again. You have to be able to make a contribution in other ways and this is why Robinson makes it over Sheets.

-9fA

I think there are two points you should account for.

1) Should he be the 3rd string running back? I mean maybe the guy can come in more than 2-3 plays a game and contribute. Plus, maybe his 2-3 plays could be significant compared to what MRob brings.

2) If he remains on the practice squad then fine. He's available. But what if Coffee or Gore is hurt and some other team has snatched him up. I think some of us view sheets as having the potential to be sort of sproles like for us.
Originally posted by VA49er:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

I think there are two points you should account for.

1) Should he be the 3rd string running back? I mean maybe the guy can come in more than 2-3 plays a game and contribute. Plus, maybe his 2-3 plays could be significant compared to what MRob brings.

2) If he remains on the practice squad then fine. He's available. But what if Coffee or Gore is hurt and some other team has snatched him up. I think some of us view sheets as having the potential to be sort of sproles like for us.

Good points.

1) Yes, he should be the third RB. Coffee's a better inside runner and also better in blitz pickup (though he can still improve). If Sheets is in, you almost know it's going to the outside. I would rather have those 2-3 plays/game be distributed between Coffee and Gore.

Btw, Robinson is the backup FB. He's probably only going to get the ball on short yardage and nothing else significant. We've got to be pretty dumb for a team who wants to run 55% of the time and not keep a backup FB.

2) If Gore or Coffee are hurt, and somebody has signed Sheets to their 53 man roster then I would expect to go primarily to a single back. We can sign some vet as a filler. Think back to the Miami game last year.

For being the preseason rushing leader, Thomas Clayton was on the practice squad and never once picked up. What does that tell ya?

-9fA

To the people that want Robinson cut:
There has to be a reason the n=Niners extended Robinsons contract. He is a team captain, has tremendous leadership abilities and is probably the most versatile player(HB,FB, WR, wildcat QB, KR and special teams ace) on the team.
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
There has to be a reason the n=Niners extended Robinsons contract. He is a team captain, has tremendous leadership abilities and is probably the most versatile player(HB,FB, WR, wildcat QB, KR and special teams ace) on the team.

Robinson as a HB is mediocre, FB mediocre, wildcat QB lmao please our tazer is a joke, special teams cmon thats why we kept Ulbrich. As far as KR duties we have Spurloch, Battle, Rossum and Walker. Gore is injury prone with his style of play and Coffee is the same kind of runner. It is very likely that in our system/OL that both get banged up and that would leave us very short handed. Sheets isnt like Clayton who went down with arm tackles vs scrubs. Sheets had alot of potential and it was easiy seen with every rep he had. Personally I highly doubt he clears waivers and he should have had MRobs spot of the roster. He just has that much more talent at a position of need than MRob when youre running a power run system with a injury prone RB being your feature RB. More so when you look at our passing game which is as ugly as the Raiders run D. This is 1 cut that should have never happened as theyre risking way too much when we have so little on offense. Ill be praying that he makes it thru waivers unclaimed as this kid is 10x teh RB that Clayton was.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

Robinson as a HB is mediocre, FB mediocre, wildcat QB lmao please our tazer is a joke, special teams cmon thats why we kept Ulbrich. As far as KR duties we have Spurloch, Battle, Rossum and Walker. Gore is injury prone with his style of play and Coffee is the same kind of runner. It is very likely that in our system/OL that both get banged up and that would leave us very short handed. Sheets isnt like Clayton who went down with arm tackles vs scrubs. Sheets had alot of potential and it was easiy seen with every rep he had. Personally I highly doubt he clears waivers and he should have had MRobs spot of the roster. He just has that much more talent at a position of need than MRob when youre running a power run system with a injury prone RB being your feature RB. More so when you look at our passing game which is as ugly as the Raiders run D. This is 1 cut that should have never happened as theyre risking way too much when we have so little on offense. Ill be praying that he makes it thru waivers unclaimed as this kid is 10x teh RB that Clayton was.

If you are down to your 3rd HB, then your season probably isn't going anywhere. You haven't seen MRob run the wildcat in the preseason. Robinson is your special teams CAPTAIN, he can block and return.. There would be a huge leadership void on the team if you cut MRob and added Sheets. Don't get me wrong i would love to have kept Sheets but not at the expense of MRob. Sheets needs to develop his blitz pickup and blocking technique, Robinson is an excellent blocker. Give sheets a year, then maybe.
Originally posted by 49erfanatic:
I don't quite understand the rationale here. Kory sheets seemed to be that "change of pace" speed back that the 49ers really need. The others are all similar, and don't have the top-end speed to take it to the house on any given play. I love Gore and Coffee, but I would have kept Sheets over Michael Robinson. It would have been nice to have a home rune hitter like that on the team. It also surprised me that a team that wants to focus on running the football would only keep 4 running backs. I would like to have more depth than that.

1) You don't understand because you haven't paid attention to a single thing Sing has said about the RB position for the past six months. You want "change of pace" to mean a speed back that can get around the edge but goes down on first contact. As Sing has constantly explained, we wanted a RB who could spell Gore and move the chains on short yardage. That's what Sing said we wanted, and that's what we took in the 3rd round. You had to have been ignoring everything the team has said they wanted and who we drafted and when we drafted them in order to convince yourself that some kid with a limited skill-set who didn't even get drafted was what the team was talking about.

2) Michael Robinson is a special teams ace, special teams captain, and can serve as a HB, FB, H-Back, and QB in the wildcat. Kory Sheets can't play special teams, can't block in pass-pro, can't serve as a lead blocker, and is somewhat ineffective running up the middle because he goes down on first contact. 3rd string running backs rarely if ever touch the ball. To be a 3rd string running back you have to contribute in other ways, which Sheets can't do. What's the point of having a guy on the team who can ONLY contribute with the ball in his hands when he's never ever going to have the ball in his hands? It's a waste of a roster spot. Robinson on other hand, contributes in MANY ways to Sheet's zero ways.

3) As for only having 4 RBs, two things:

a) we're probably looking for a FB to pick up off waivers right now.
b) even if we're not, this is yet another reason why it's great to have Robinson on the team. We have a backup FB and 3rd string RB that only requires 1 roster spot. Thank god we have Robinson who allows us to carry a 6th WR, extra LB, extra DB, or some other position. We not only get another player at another position, but we also get somebody else at that other position who will probably be good as a first stringer on special teams who we wouldn't otherwise have.

Make sense?

X2
Share 49ersWebzone