Why The Heck Isn't Alex Smith Playing?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
As they say... "A back-up QB is one injury away from becoming a starter."
Originally posted by Esco:
Originally posted by Xestenz:
The team doesn't want to risk re injury in a meaningless game.

No such thing as a 'meangless game' to Smith's development. He has missed all of last year. He is still learning a new offense.

When we have 3 QB's and one of them is a rookie then I'd say it was meaningless.

Not sure what that means. Better to try to continue to develop your former 1st round pick -- still with question marks, coming off a major injury, learning a new offense, and one play away from actually starting for and leading the 49ers -- or better to give a 5th round rookie some extra reps, who if he has to start a single game this year means we are already screwed?

I don't understand what you don't understand about the possible re-injury of our backup QB in a exhibition game right before the real games start.

Ignorance is bliss....
Originally posted by RonMexico:

No such thing as a 'meangless game' to Smith's development. He has missed all of last year. He is still learning a new offense.

When we have 3 QB's and one of them is a rookie then I'd say it was meaningless.

Not sure what that means. Better to try to continue to develop your former 1st round pick -- still with question marks, coming off a major injury, learning a new offense, and one play away from actually starting for and leading the 49ers -- or better to give a 5th round rookie some extra reps, who if he has to start a single game this year means we are already screwed?[/qu

Alex, is that you

Damn -- you're on to me...

Whoops, hit the wronk key, just dropped the keyboard and hurt myself when the keyboard hit my thumb...

'cause he's a stud!

Not sure what that means. Better to try to continue to develop your former 1st round pick -- still with question marks, coming off a major injury, learning a new offense, and one play away from actually starting for and leading the 49ers -- or better to give a 5th round rookie some extra reps, who if he has to start a single game this year means we are already screwed?

I don't understand what you don't understand about the possible re-injury of our backup QB in a exhibition game right before the real games start.

I think the confusion is this. While all NFL teams are careful with all their players there is definitely varying degrees of care.

Usually, this degree of care is not bestowed on backup QB's. I think we can all agree with this

But I don't think Alex is a typical backup, as there are those that still not convinced he won't be the eventual starter this year and years to come.

That frustrates some, like me; because I have no faith in him at all, so I want him to be treated like any other backup would

What he means is that Alex still looks like s**t, and that since he has had so much time off the past two seasons, any opportunity for him to play can only help his development. Instead, we are giving him more time off because of another injury, one that he can play through.

If he goes down then we place him on the PUP and resign Huard. There is no downfall to giving Alex more playing time that he definitely needs if we are going to keep him around. Instead, lets send in an even rustier Smith in when Hill goes down. This playing time would serve him well if Hill does go down.

It is without a doubt a wasted opportunity, unless the injury is more serious then what Singletary wants to let on.

Come on -- how likely is it really, that the thumb would be reinjured? He threw 70 passes the other day. Just as likely to get injured in practice than in the game, if that is all it takes.
Because the coaches said he isn't going to play. What is so hard to understand about that
Originally posted by backontop:
Because the coaches said he isn't going to play. What is so hard to understand about that

This doesn't answer the question though, of if he should play.

• Esco
  • Hall of Fame

Come on -- how likely is it really, that the thumb would be reinjured? He threw 70 passes the other day. Just as likely to get injured in practice than in the game, if that is all it takes.

How many times was he hit during practice? How many times is he likely to get hit tomorrow? I'm not sold on the guy either but I understand the teams thinking in not playing him. Plus we get the chance to get a closer link at Davis.

How many times was he hit during practice? How many times is he likely to get hit tomorrow? I'm not sold on the guy either but I understand the teams thinking in not playing him. Plus we get the chance to get a closer link at Davis.

Fair enough, Esco -- but football players should play football, especially when they actually need the work and are supposedly 'leaders' on the team.
Originally posted by backontop:

This doesn't answer the question though, of if he should play.

Where did you learn to read? The title says Why the heck Isn't Alex Smith Playing?

I think what he doesn't understand is that above describes every game we will play this year. Maybe substitute play for have.

Anyway I agree it doesn't make since to sit smith if his finger is fine. Maybe Nolan told him to say he's fine. It seems like they want to get a good look at Davis
Alex Smith is the established backup on this team and he's recovering from a injury. There is nothing to gain from playing him in a game that only means something to bubble players trying to show they belong to on the final roster. Why risk losing him for an extended period because some guy that will be bagging groceries next week gets a free shot at him. Don't forget, very few of our starting olinemen will probably play either.
Share 49ersWebzone