There are 168 users in the forums

Realistic Expectations for this season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
9-7
i think the only way we can push for a playoff spot is if we pull a dolphins-type season:

1. mistake free football. the dolphins did not have a multiple turnover game in the 2008 regular season. that is incredible.

2. solid defense with at least 1 pass rushing threat. this is the tough part. we clearly have a "solid" defense, but who is going to step up and be our joey porter? haralson has shown signs, but he can't do it alone. this will come down to manlaw

3. good running game. i feel like this would be the most likely objective to hit. we have a pretty decent run blocking line and some good backs.

i don't want to be overly optimistic, but i dont want to call it a season at this point either. these guys are still professional football players and a couple bounces our way here and there and we could be in the thick of things in december.

on paper it does not look like we're going to cause any noise, but that's why they play the games!
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Where did all the gloom and doomers come from?

I picked 10-6 in the PYMWYMI topic and I am sticking to it?

I think that after watching the first team offense this pre-season especially the WR's and QB's who will probably see playing time. ?????? The OL in pass protection and blitz pick up or our lack of a pass rush. I was hoping for 8-8 and that is now downgraded to 7-9 or dare I say ------ I was hoping that the pre-season would make me feel better than it has.

What is you source of optimism ?????? Just curious

[ Edited by 49ERwhiner on Aug 31, 2009 at 15:16:51 ]
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Looking at our schedule, I see 7 - 10 wins. And I see that as such a big range because there are so many games that are hard to judge -- you don't know how that team is going to perform. The 5 games I see as being the most difficult to judge are:

ATL at home
@ HOU
TEN at home
CHI at home
ARI at home

Out of those, I think the home game against Atlanta could dictate how our season goes. If we win that game, we will go into the bye week on a high note and be geared up and well-rested for 2 road games against Houston and Indy; if we beat Houston that week we may have the momentum to have a shot at beating Indy in Indy. The Chicago game is a Thursday nighter -- and I have no idea how good Chicago is going to be this year. If Cutler plays well, they'll be a 12-win team. If not, maybe 8 or 9 wins. Here's my rough guess for how the season will play out -- 9 wins, a shot at a wild card slot or the division if Arizona plays like Arizona usually does:

@Cardinals - L
Seahawks - W
@Vikings - L
Rams - W
Falcons - W
BYE
@Texans - W
@Colts - L
Titans - L
Bears - W
@Packers - L
Jaguars - W
@Seahawks - L
Cardinals - W
@Eagles - L
Lions - W
@Rams - W

I think we're a better team than Seattle, but they are very tough at home. Thoughts?

I see it like this

@Cardinals - L
Seahawks - W
@Vikings - L
Rams - W
Falcons - L
BYE
@Texans - L
@Colts - L
Titans - L
Bears - L
@Packers - L
Jaguars - L
@Seahawks - L
Cardinals - L
@Eagles - L
Lions - W
@Rams - W
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Where did all the gloom and doomers come from?

I picked 10-6 in the PYMWYMI topic and I am sticking to it?

facts are facts. we have not really improved the team to go 10-6. hill is okay. not a starter on any othr team. our o-line is okay not good. our wr's our decent. our d-line is sub-par. our lb's are good except with a big ? mark on manny lawson & parys. Our Db's our suspect. yes. besides clements who do we have that opposing offenses will be affraid of? not bly or brown or spencer. Goldsen isn't proven, and m. lewis can cover the run but not the pass so good
I think we will beat the Cards. At least split with them. I say that, because we're in the same division and they were better than eveyone in our division and we played them tough both games last season.
  • Veteran
Can't Pass rush, can't pass protect, can't throw, I say 7 wins at best. I hope I am wrong.
6-10
ah yes niner talk preseason threads....

Originally posted by jreff22:
9-7

Still going 7-9 hill decent but he ain't a franchise Qb and we got
no legyt pass rushers and the biggest reason IMO is martz is 10 times
better than Jimmy raye is, Raye is a proven loser all his career.

Originally posted by nothing03:
2-3 years ago I made a similar post like this.

You've only been here since Sept. 2008.

I'm not saying anything...I'm just saying..

LB
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:
6-10

I'm slightly less optimistic and am praying we are able to squeek out 5 wins.

I am not a Sean Hill fan and think he is exactly what he always has been, a quality backup.

I was intially an Alex Smith supporter, but I believe he has been ruined being mishandled

I believe Nate would be ruined in the same fashion if we were to start him

I believe that you must have a quality starter at QB to be competitive, unless you have a defense so dominant that it is remebered as a historicaly dominant defense, which we dont have.

Since we do NOT have a quality starter at QB at this time, nor do we have a historicaly dominant defense, we are doomed to a top 10 pick once again, IMO.
  • dj43
The final record is ALWAYS decided by injuries to key players.

If the team stays injury free, 9 wins is a possibility.

More realistic is 8 wins with an average injury season.

Lose a critical player like Gore or Heitman and it drops to 7 or even 6 wins.
7-9 plus minus one win.
  • rob28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jays9ers:
6 o 7 wins. All you people dreaming of playoffs are delusional

delusional is the perfect word lol.
Share 49ersWebzone