There are 298 users in the forums

Realistic Expectations for this season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Looking at our schedule, I see 7 - 10 wins. And I see that as such a big range because there are so many games that are hard to judge -- you don't know how that team is going to perform. The 5 games I see as being the most difficult to judge are:

ATL at home
@ HOU
TEN at home
CHI at home
ARI at home

Out of those, I think the home game against Atlanta could dictate how our season goes. If we win that game, we will go into the bye week on a high note and be geared up and well-rested for 2 road games against Houston and Indy; if we beat Houston that week we may have the momentum to have a shot at beating Indy in Indy. The Chicago game is a Thursday nighter -- and I have no idea how good Chicago is going to be this year. If Cutler plays well, they'll be a 12-win team. If not, maybe 8 or 9 wins. Here's my rough guess for how the season will play out -- 9 wins, a shot at a wild card slot or the division if Arizona plays like Arizona usually does:

@Cardinals - L
Seahawks - W
@Vikings - L
Rams - W
Falcons - W
BYE
@Texans - W
@Colts - L
Titans - L
Bears - W
@Packers - L
Jaguars - W
@Seahawks - L
Cardinals - W
@Eagles - L
Lions - W
@Rams - W

I think we're a better team than Seattle, but they are very tough at home. Thoughts?
i don't know man that's very optimistic after how we have played this pre-season.

i'm not saying we CAN'T win 9 games or 10 games. there are technically 10 teams we play that i would not be surprised beating.

but at the sametime, i really wouldn't be surprised if we only won 4 games. You look on paper and say "wellllllllll of course we're going to beat the rams, and the lions, and this and that", but we have looked like garbage at times.

it's only pre-season but i'm just not very optimistic at this time.... i'm usually optimistic every year at this time of the season but i'm just not feeling it right now :(
agreed, very, very optimistic...6-7 games would be a successful team considering the thought put into it...no qb, no pass rush...in retrospect a very bad adressing of the the right tackle slot, a wasted #1 pick on douchetree who even if he signs, is no longer in the picture as far as being a significant contributing factor this season, nate clements never lived up to the contract and actually looks to be regressing this preseason

too much koolaid
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Looking at our schedule, I see 7 - 10 wins. And I see that as such a big range because there are so many games that are hard to judge -- you don't know how that team is going to perform. The 5 games I see as being the most difficult to judge are:

ATL at home
@ HOU
TEN at home
CHI at home
ARI at home

Out of those, I think the home game against Atlanta could dictate how our season goes. If we win that game, we will go into the bye week on a high note and be geared up and well-rested for 2 road games against Houston and Indy; if we beat Houston that week we may have the momentum to have a shot at beating Indy in Indy. The Chicago game is a Thursday nighter -- and I have no idea how good Chicago is going to be this year. If Cutler plays well, they'll be a 12-win team. If not, maybe 8 or 9 wins. Here's my rough guess for how the season will play out -- 9 wins, a shot at a wild card slot or the division if Arizona plays like Arizona usually does:

@Cardinals - L
Seahawks - W
@Vikings - L
Rams - W
Falcons - W
BYE
@Texans - W
@Colts - L
Titans - L
Bears - W
@Packers - L
Jaguars - W
@Seahawks - L
Cardinals - W
@Eagles - L
Lions - W
@Rams - W

I think we're a better team than Seattle, but they are very tough at home. Thoughts?

Wow, winds against Falcons, Texans and Bears. I salute your optimism!
Originally posted by frenchmov:
i don't know man that's very optimistic after how we have played this pre-season.

i'm not saying we CAN'T win 9 games or 10 games. there are technically 10 teams we play that i would not be surprised beating.

but at the sametime, i really wouldn't be surprised if we only won 4 games. You look on paper and say "wellllllllll of course we're going to beat the rams, and the lions, and this and that", but we have looked like garbage at times.

it's only pre-season but i'm just not very optimistic at this time.... i'm usually optimistic every year at this time of the season but i'm just not feeling it right now :(

We could very well lose games against CHI and HOU and be at 7 wins. I looked at the schedule and assigned Ws and Ls.
  • NinersCluebat
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:

ATL at home
@ HOU
TEN at home
CHI at home
ARI at home

@Cardinals - L
Seahawks - W
@Vikings - L
Rams - W
Falcons - W
BYE
@Texans - W
@Colts - L
Titans - L
Bears - W
@Packers - L
Jaguars - W
@Seahawks - L
Cardinals - W
@Eagles - L
Lions - W
@Rams - W

Add in the win against Packers, they are going to be a tough team to beat this season.
Man, Atlanta will be really tough this year too.

Ryan is looking like a vet, and they have the best tight end ever now.
2-3 years ago I made a similar post like this. I called out Smith and nolan and that the team would suck that year and I was right. Everyone is making a stupid post on every post that they are rollin with nolan. Man I hated that everytime nolan do something and they would put rollin at the end of every sentence that they say no matter how stupid Nolans action is. First thing is the stupid suit and nolan was voted one of the most fashionable whatever. Second are the stupid free agents he signed. Everyone also predicted that Alex Smith will have a break out year. Boy I was right Alex Smith did suck and got injured (still sucked).

Well my prediction for this year and its probably pretty apparent to the majority of the zone is that our offense will suck this year. Hill will suck and Smith will probably get a chance to get a starts when hill starts throwing interception and start losing us games. Smith will also suck and the majority of the fans will start calling for nate davis. Gore and the HB's will be spectacular. The WR will be average. Crabtree if he signs will have a subpar year and will only get his chance on the second half of the season. Morgan will have 500-700 yards receiving. Bruce is still bruce you what to expect. Snyder will struggle on pass protection but the rest will probably still be solid especially since our O-line is more built on running game. The playcalling would suck and I have a bad feeling that Jimmy Raye is the making of Hostler 2.5. The reason why 2.5 is because I think he will be better not worse than hostler. But the presence of Martz playcalling will be missed except for the stupid ones.

The D will hold up on its own but not good enough since we have no pass rush. Lawson will still suck rushing the qb and Haralson will have above average year 7 to 9 sucks. The pass D will be average and better than last year. So overall I know I am gonna get bash on this
I predict a 6-10 for the niners.
At the end of the season Jimmy Raye out and some will start calling on Singletary to get fired but I doubt it. He stays on the draft next year we draft a QB and a pass rusher.
  • NM49ERFAN
  • Info N/A
like KG said-"Anything is possible!!!!!"
6 o 7 wins. All you people dreaming of playoffs are delusional

Originally posted by ssahnan:
agreed, very, very optimistic...6-7 games would be a successful team considering the thought put into it...no qb, no pass rush...in retrospect a very bad adressing of the the right tackle slot, a wasted #1 pick on douchetree who even if he signs, is no longer in the picture as far as being a significant contributing factor this season, nate clements never lived up to the contract and actually looks to be regressing this preseason

too much koolaid

Funny bolded.
Im still saying 9-7. i know they looked iffy im dallas but the cowboys are a really talented team. there is still a lot of work to be done, but i dont think it is as bad as everyone is saying. if we go 6-10 or worse though without too many injuries, singletary and scotty have to go though.
Originally posted by BY_4_HOF:
Man, Atlanta will be really tough this year too.

Ryan is looking like a vet, and they have the best tight end ever now.

I think that will be an "all-out" game for us, with the bye the following week. Its probably the best time to play them.
I think 7 wins....which might just win the division.

The Super Bowl jinx will hit the Cards, the Seahawks are going to probably lose the greatest OT in the history of their franchise, and the Rams are really, really young.

However, I'd keep an eye on the Rams. They have a good QB, a stud RB, a rising stud LT, a quick and talented WR, some good young DL, a stud MLB, and a terrific safety. They are getting better, and I would not be surprised if they won this division.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinersCluebat:
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:

ATL at home
@ HOU
TEN at home
CHI at home
ARI at home

@Cardinals - L
Seahawks - W
@Vikings - L
Rams - W
Falcons - W
BYE
@Texans - W
@Colts - L
Titans - L
Bears - W
@Packers - L
Jaguars - W
@Seahawks - L
Cardinals - W
@Eagles - L
Lions - W
@Rams - W

Add in the win against Packers, they are going to be a tough team to beat this season.

i doubt this, packers will be a good team. they actually have a decent qb
Share 49ersWebzone