LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

Realistic Expectations for this season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ERwhiner:
Originally posted by susweel:
This a 7-8 win team at its best. There are to many wholes in the roster as of right now.

Which game are we not playing.

probably Indy. No passrush+Peyton Manning=blowout
  • KasparHauser
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by jays9ers:
6 o 7 wins. All you people dreaming of playoffs are delusional

Because AZ is so tough? The same AZ who finished 9-7 last year, who have a new OC and DC and have looked crappy in this preseason?

or maybe Seattle? The team that went 4-12 last years, whose defense was ranked 30th, and have an aging QB with a bad back and no real running backs?

or maybe the Rams? Really?

What is delusional is to believe that the 49ers don't have a decent chance at winning the NFC West.
I had predicted 8-8 this season, but after watching the last couple of pre-season games I'm thinking 8 wins is a bit much.

We all know about the horrible pass rush, but the o-line's horrible pass blocking was kinda of a surprise. Can the QB get 3 seconds, just 3 seconds before having to run for his life? It's gonna be 07 all over again if Raye doesn't get this figured out.
  • SANDMAN
  • Info N/A
9-7
  • KasparHauser
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by FL9er:
It's hilarious that you all are going apesh*t over how the team has performed during the preseason. Why are you all getting mad? I don't care what coach Singletary says, these games don't mean anything. Furthermore should anyone be surprised the 1st team on both sides looked shaky against Dallas? Dallas is a more talented team the 49ers so they should've looked much better.

Until the 49ers get a real starting NFL QB they will struggle on offense. Do you think the Bears or Titans have better WRs than the 49ers (factoring in the upside of some of the younger players)? Conversely, without a pass rusher that teams must gameplan for, the team will struggle to stop teams via the pass.

The game has evolved into throwing the ball to score points and being able to stop the other team from throwing. The 49ers can't do both, not a good combination.

Looking at the schedule, I think the 49ers are good enough to beat their divisional rivals at least once. They are a better team than Detroit. I think they're good enough to win at least one or two games they shouldn't (most likely at home).

Not to mention Dallas was only ahead 10-3 at halftime, and only scored 13 total points. AZ and the Raiders were KILLED. If the 49ers were down 38-10 at halftime I would be worried.
Originally posted by KasparHauser:

Because AZ is so tough? The same AZ who finished 9-7 last year, who have a new OC and DC and have looked crappy in this preseason?

or maybe Seattle? The team that went 4-12 last years, whose defense was ranked 30th, and have an aging QB with a bad back and no real running backs?

What is delusional is to believe that the 49ers don't have a decent chance at winning the NFC West.

On Arizona? Did you actually watch the Dallas game, first half. Romo had time to send off for coffee and a danish? Unless we play Nolan's infamous big nickel WARNER will kill us. They now have at least four WRs that could be our number 1
WR as it stands now.

Seattle? They have the best defense in our division. We can't pass accept dink and dunk and they still can.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

On Arizona? Did you actually watch the Dallas game, first half. Romo had time to send off for coffee and a danish? Unless we play Nolan's infamous big nickel WARNER will kill us. They now have at least four WRs that could be our number 1
WR as it stands now.

Seattle? They have the best defense in our division. We can't pass accept dink and dunk and they still can.

But then again, you can also say we have the best running game in the NFC West.
  • rum53
  • Veteran
In this day and age, the difference between a 7-9 team and a 9-7 team can be the bounce of a ball. The 49ers are right in the middle of the pack with most of the rest of the NFL. Like most teams, we do not have a perfect roster. We can talk about our pass rush or qb problems all day long. The beauty of the NFL these days is that you can overcome various roster deficiencies.

There are very few great teams in the league. The 49ers are clearly in the muddled middle. So what distinguishes the winners and losers among the middle of the pack? In my opinion, the key to success is consistent play and not shooting yourself in the foot. Games are so close these days where a timely turnover or penalty can be the difference between a Win or Loss. The key is to be close enough to capitalize on your opponents mistakes.

I'm very excited to see the 49ers this season. Our talent level has been increasing every year for 5 years now. More importantly, we have ourselves a HC that prides himself on the details of the game. We will be in a position to win a high percentage of games this year. The question remains whether or not the ball bounces our way.

Because AZ has Boldin, Breaston AND FITZ and if we get no pressure on Warner which I doubt we will, Warner is going to pick up our D apart.
  • 49ersPERU
  • Info N/A
BECAUSE THERS NO PASS RUSH AND RT ... SO THIS IS MY EXPECTATION 7-9 AGAIN

@Cardinals - L
Seahawks - W
@Vikings - L
Rams - W
Falcons - W
BYE
@Texans - L
@Colts - L
Titans - L
Bears - W
@Packers - L
Jaguars - L
@Seahawks - L
Cardinals - W
@Eagles - L
Lions - W
@Rams - W

FROM PERU

Hey personally I can see us going somewhere between 6-10 and 8-8. Let's kick the delusional word to the curb cause sure it is possible that we could make it. I don't think that the other teams in our devision have stood still during this off season either ------ they will be tough games.
Yeah we have just watched some pre-season and I agree it is hard to get anything definitive from that but I still see poor pass protection and blitz pick up and very poor pass rush and a QB and WR's struggling a bit. So once again I go into the regular season hoping that both our play calling and execution improves.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

WR as it stands now.

But then again, you can also say we have the best running game in the NFC West.

I'll give you that we do have the best rushing attack in the NFC West. But when you are down by 14 or better points, are you gonna grind it out to win.

If Hasselback is anywhere near what he was before 2008, and with Warner choosing between 3 or 4 WRs, while having a spot of tea, waiting for our pass rush to appear, it begs for a long season.

Please don't tell me that the running game sets up the deep ball, because our starting QB is best at the "shot put".

Our best hope this year is for our divisional rival QBs to be knocked out early.
Of course, we can't do that because we can't sustain a pash rush.

[ Edited by nvninerfan1 on Aug 31, 2009 at 15:42:02 ]
Originally posted by 49ersPERU:

@Cardinals - L
Seahawks - W
@Vikings - L
Rams - W
Falcons - W
BYE
@Texans - L
@Colts - L
Titans - L
Bears - W
@Packers - L
Jaguars - L
@Seahawks - L
Cardinals - W
@Eagles - L
Lions - W
@Rams - W

FROM PERU

Why is people so optismitic for our game agaisnt the Falcons. Did they forget that the Falcons reched the playoffs last year with a ROOKIE QB. And that now that QB is year older? And that they've added another weapon in Tony Gonzales?

Without a pass-rush, expect Ryan to destroy us.
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
Originally posted by 49ersPERU:

@Cardinals - L
Seahawks - W
@Vikings - L
Rams - W
Falcons - W
BYE
@Texans - L
@Colts - L
Titans - L
Bears - W
@Packers - L
Jaguars - L
@Seahawks - L
Cardinals - W
@Eagles - L
Lions - W
@Rams - W

FROM PERU

Why is people so optismitic for our game agaisnt the Falcons. Did they forget that the Falcons reched the playoffs last year with a ROOKIE QB. And that now that QB is year older? And that they've added another weapon in Tony Gonzales?

Without a pass-rush, expect Ryan to destroy us.

I guess he thinks because it's at home we'll own Ryan

scared of what turner is going to do to us

[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Aug 31, 2009 at 15:45:14 ]
3-13
Share 49ersWebzone