There are 134 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Realistic Expectations for this season

This is going to be a very wild & crazy season for sure!
7-9 at best
Instability at the quarterback position.
7-9
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I think 7 wins....which might just win the division.

The Super Bowl jinx will hit the Cards, the Seahawks are going to probably lose the greatest OT in the history of their franchise, and the Rams are really, really young.

However, I'd keep an eye on the Rams. They have a good QB, a stud RB, a rising stud LT, a quick and talented WR, some good young DL, a stud MLB, and a terrific safety. They are getting better, and I would not be surprised if they won this division.

i'd keep an eye out for seattle. they will be dangerous
Where can I get a time machine? You guys seem to be able to get them...are they only available in the U.S?
5-11 NO Offense. Good defense but will never get off the field.
Depending on how we do in the division, I think that 8-8 or 9-7 are realistic.
We are going to sweep the Cardinals this year.
6-10 or 7-9
Here's my team breakdown:

QB: Shaun Hill is very iffy as a starting QB in the NFL, and the guys we have backing him up are his backups for a reason. I do like what I've seen in Nate Davis. He has made half a dozen or so throws that our top 2 guys can't make. My hope is that with time, he'll be our guy. For this year though, it's Hill. And even though he did well last year, that scares me.

RB: Gore is what he is. I'm excited about Coffee and Sheets as well. This is the best group of RBs I've seen here in a long long time.

TE: Vernon Davis. Gee whiz. He's a question mark every year. At least his blocking ability compliments Singletary's desired style of attack. 3 yards and a cloud of dust. (I'm hoping our running backs are good enough to make that 6 yards and a cloud of dust, with the occasional 20+ yarder.)

WR: I was excited about our receivers this summer, but after seeing them perform - or not perform I should say - I am not impressed in the least with any of them. I'm not holding my breath for Crabs either.

OL: Boy. Our pass protection has been piss poor the preseason. Good run blocking though. (refer back to comment under TEs about 3 yards and a cloud of dust).

DL: Has done well against the run at times, but can't occupy enough linemen to help generate a pass rush.

LB: Solid middle linebackers (this is the one spot on the defense without question marks). Outside linebackers have been pretty well nonexistent in pass rushing.

DBs: Have picked off a lot of passes. They certainly could cover more consistently if they didn't have to do it for 8 seconds.

Special Teams: Michael Robinson is a great special teams guy, but thank God for Nedney and Lee.

All that being said, I don't see the team being any better this year than last. And the schedule is tougher. I prediction and my fear are one in the same: that we will finish 3rd or 4th in the NFC West and finish at 6-10.
Originally posted by mississippi_sam:
Here's my team breakdown:

QB: Shaun Hill is very iffy as a starting QB in the NFL, and the guys we have backing him up are his backups for a reason. I do like what I've seen in Nate Davis. He has made half a dozen or so throws that our top 2 guys can't make. My hope is that with time, he'll be our guy. For this year though, it's Hill. And even though he did well last year, that scares me.

RB: Gore is what he is. I'm excited about Coffee and Sheets as well. This is the best group of RBs I've seen here in a long long time.

TE: Vernon Davis. Gee whiz. He's a question mark every year. At least his blocking ability compliments Singletary's desired style of attack. 3 yards and a cloud of dust. (I'm hoping our running backs are good enough to make that 6 yards and a cloud of dust, with the occasional 20+ yarder.)

WR: I was excited about our receivers this summer, but after seeing them perform - or not perform I should say - I am not impressed in the least with any of them. I'm not holding my breath for Crabs either.

OL: Boy. Our pass protection has been piss poor the preseason. Good run blocking though. (refer back to comment under TEs about 3 yards and a cloud of dust).

DL: Has done well against the run at times, but can't occupy enough linemen to help generate a pass rush.

LB: Solid middle linebackers (this is the one spot on the defense without question marks). Outside linebackers have been pretty well nonexistent in pass rushing.

DBs: Have picked off a lot of passes. They certainly could cover more consistently if they didn't have to do it for 8 seconds.

Special Teams: Michael Robinson is a great special teams guy, but thank God for Nedney and Lee.

All that being said, I don't see the team being any better this year than last. And the schedule is tougher. I prediction and my fear are one in the same: that we will finish 3rd or 4th in the NFC West and finish at 6-10.

Almost the same prediction as mine. If we go 6-10 at least I have the nfl draft to look forward to. Hoping for a franchise QB and an elite pass rusher. I am sick and tired of Smith, Hill, and Lawson.
After the free agency and draft I said 7-9 since none of the major holes were addressed. Now after the preseason and two weeks before the season opener I just don't see this team doing any better than 6-10. This franchise still doesn't have an NFL starting caliber QB, the offensive line is still a disaster when it comes to pass blocking, and the wide receiver production will suffer because of weak QB and OL play. On defense, the pass rush is getting worse year by year. If they played two hand touch football this defense would still get no sacks. The secondary still has a lot of question marks. And even Singletary is showing some weaknesses in game time decision making. Some of his decisions last night reeked of Nolanism.

I'm really getting sick of this franchise never addressing the obvious weaknesses. How many offseasons in a row has it been that we've been saying we need a quarterback, offensive linemen, nose tackle, a ball hawking safety, and a pass rusher or two? Here we are again going into another season with none of those holes addressed.
Where did all the gloom and doomers come from?

I picked 10-6 in the PYMWYMI topic and I am sticking to it?
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Im still saying 9-7. i know they looked iffy im dallas but the cowboys are a really talented team. there is still a lot of work to be done, but i dont think it is as bad as everyone is saying.

I agree. We were only down by a touchdown at the half, on the road, against a good Dallas team. In a real game there are 4 quarters of football. Also while Hill had a tough half, he has shown before he can bounce back in a game...

I think overall we're going to be more competitive this season. I'm not sure I'm optimistic enough to predict the playoffs though it's possible. I think we can expect the team to be a little inconsistent with the passing offense, and rushing the passer. If we can get some consistency in those areas, and win the division games, we may just be able to pull out the division and squeak into the playoffs.