LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 283 users in the forums

Roman may start Week 1

Shop Find 49ers gear online
S Mark Roman: Say what you want about him, the guy played one heck of a game. He intercepted a pass and came up to make some big tackles. He tripped up speedster Felix Jones after a 13-yard gain. If Roman had not make that sensational tackle, it would've been a long, long TD run. Roman would get the call to be in the starting lineup for Week 1, depending on how Lewis responds in the next couple weeks.

(M. Lewis had his second concussion in 11 days)

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/08/singletary-no-such-thing-as-meaningless-game.html
Im not a fan of Roman..but he impressed me tonight
Who else do we have at SS?

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

Maybe the rookie Curtis Taylor.
  • Apone
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
Im not a fan of Roman..but he impressed me tonight

i agree, i except him to have a better season.
roman isnt that bad at strong safety

he is horrible at FS, where you need speed to help cover the field, Roman wasnt good at that.

Roman at SS wouldnt do that as much and would play up near the line a bit more.
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:

-9fA

Couldn't Reggie Smith be as effective or more effective at Strong Safety then Roman? Smith has a better knack for the ball and has enough speed to cover if need be.
Originally posted by E-49er:

-9fA

Couldn't Reggie Smith be as effective or more effective at Strong Safety then Roman? Smith has a better knack for the ball and has enough speed to cover if need be.

took the words right out of my mouth, give reggie a shot, he has been making plays all preseason........with roman you know what you got, and that is ZERO turnovers
and constant blown coverage.
Originally posted by E-49er:

-9fA

Maybe. Has Reggie played SS at all in practice or preseason? He always seems to be at FS.

I also believe Reggie Smith will be the eventual starter at FS. Goldson has a history of injuries and is a ticking time bomb in the secondary.
[ Edited by fanmusclecars on Aug 29, 2009 at 11:04 PM ]
Originally posted by ads_2006:

he is horrible at FS, where you need speed to help cover the field, Roman wasnt good at that.

This

Roman is not the ideal SS in our scheme. Remember Micheal Lewis has the ability to play "big nickle" and the build of a linebacker. Roman will get trucked by Steven Jackson twice a year.

Roman is not the ideal SS in our scheme. Remember Micheal Lewis has the ability to play "big nickle" and the build of a linebacker. Roman will get trucked by Steven Jackson twice a year.

I did say he isnt "that bad"

I think he would be serviceable until lewis gets back

I would like to have Reggie Smith play there, but I thought he was only working out at FS, if he can play at SS, I dont mind him starting.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by global_nomad:
S Mark Roman: Say what you want about him, the guy played one heck of a game. He intercepted a pass and came up to make some big tackles. He tripped up speedster Felix Jones after a 13-yard gain. If Roman had not make that sensational tackle, it would've been a long, long TD run. Roman would get the call to be in the starting lineup for Week 1, depending on how Lewis responds in the next couple weeks.

(M. Lewis had his second concussion in 11 days)

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/08/singletary-no-such-thing-as-meaningless-game.html

1 int in what 3 years...... and its preseason.
Roman had a good game tonight. Goldson did well and the hit he put Barber in the open field was amazing not often you see Barber stopped cold like that
Yeah i've just now realized that we don't really have anybody who's a clear backup at SS except for Roman.

Moving Reggie Smith to SS just after he's been moved from CB to FS is not a good idea IMO. His natural position is FS.

-9fA
Share 49ersWebzone