LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

Roman may start Week 1

Shop Find 49ers gear online
As much as I would like to see Smith play, Roman is the only true candidate that can fill at SS. I would like to see Goldson and Smith on the field at the same time, but it wouldnt make sense to change either Goldson or Smith from FS to SS just b.c M. Lewis is out for awhile..
goldson is not looking good
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Wow we may very well need to draft two Safeties next year with our first two picks:

1a - Eric Berry

1b - Taylor Mays

Originally posted by WestCoast:

If ML is out, Roman's the guy to play SS. They'll need his experience out there to help Goldson, it's as simple as that.
Originally posted by kujon11:
Originally posted by WestCoast:

+1
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Wow we may very well need to draft two Safeties next year with our first two picks:

1a - Eric Berry

1b - Taylor Mays

Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
As much as I would like to see Smith play, Roman is the only true candidate that can fill at SS. I would like to see Goldson and Smith on the field at the same time, but it wouldnt make sense to change either Goldson or Smith from FS to SS just b.c M. Lewis is out for awhile..
I would like to see Reggie Smith get a shot to play in place of Lewis.
Originally posted by tohara3:

• B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by tohara3:

Agreed.
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
S Mark Roman: Say what you want about him, the guy played one heck of a game. He intercepted a pass and came up to make some big tackles. He tripped up speedster Felix Jones after a 13-yard gain. If Roman had not make that sensational tackle, it would've been a long, long TD run. Roman would get the call to be in the starting lineup for Week 1, depending on how Lewis responds in the next couple weeks.

(M. Lewis had his second concussion in 11 days)

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/08/singletary-no-such-thing-as-meaningless-game.html

1 int in what 3 years...... and its preseason.

for SS not FS and i agree if lewis is injured roman or smith could play SS till he comes back
Originally posted by Kolohe:

1a - Eric Berry

1b - Taylor Mays

I want ERIC BERRY... This guy has potential to be the next Ed Reed. When you guys watch College Football focus on the SEC between Terrance Cody at DT for Alabama (my college team) and Eric Berry at FS for Tennessee. These are two guys for sure we should have on our radar. Taylor mays is a mid to lower 20's 1st round caliber player depending how well he is prepared for this season to rise up his stock. Eric Berry is the truth look him up and read about him/watch his highlights.
Even if Reggie smith can only play FS, Why then couldn't you move goldson to SS and have Reggie play FS? I don't like Roman and IMO he is too small to be playing SS. HE does have the experience but all the knowledge in the world isn't gonna make Roman a better tackler than he is now, which is pretty bad.he had a good game yesterday but he was lucky the Dallas rb went down from that ankle tackle and the INT was thrown right too him. Man I hope Lewis is okay.
As I stated at the beginning of camp, Roman is going to make this team. And so will Sims. This may be the end of western civilization for some.

In fact, Roman could be the starter at SS all year if M. Lewis continues to have concussions.

P.S. I'll just say that the SS position has been elevated to a new level of need in the 2010 NFL draft.

For those looking at Tennessee's S Eric Berry, the Niners or Panthers are going to need to really struggle to see him on the board. He's more top ten material than middle of the first round.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Aug 30, 2009 at 9:43 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone