There are 185 users in the forums

Roman may start Week 1

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Dino
  • Veteran
I remember reading that Sing said the SS and FS position is very similar in the defense we run and there really isn't much of a diffrence. With that said, I would like to see Goldson and Smith pick up the slack, but I could understand if Roman filled in until Smith could make the transition.
Yeah although I can't stand Roman, he is the only experienced guy in the secondary, as bad as he is ,now that Lewis is out. That sucks because Arizona has a very good passing game. I'm gonna be at the opener so I hope Lewis can start.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
S Mark Roman: Say what you want about him, the guy played one heck of a game. He intercepted a pass and came up to make some big tackles. He tripped up speedster Felix Jones after a 13-yard gain. If Roman had not make that sensational tackle, it would've been a long, long TD run. Roman would get the call to be in the starting lineup for Week 1, depending on how Lewis responds in the next couple weeks.

(M. Lewis had his second concussion in 11 days)

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/08/singletary-no-such-thing-as-meaningless-game.html

personally i'd rather see clements at fs or even ss(he can tackle pretty good) and put reggie smith out at cb
well if roman is to start in az i can sure expect few blown coverages from him and just flat out garbage play from him. we already have clements playing like 10 yds away from the wr and now roman's sorry ass back there to be the safety. i can already see fitz, boldin and breaston having a good gm.
Well he used up his one INT for the next 3 years so that sucks.
Roman will do ......until the next draft.

Roman FTL.
Roman at SS would probably be better than Roman at FS. He may not be able to cover or get interceptions, but at least he can tackle...
Ewww can we cut Roman already, jeez man, this guy is garbage,

it's his fault we let that 3rd and 22 against the raiders become a TD.

The guy is worse than Sammy Davis and Roy Williams combined on being able to cover.

Put reggie smith back there if anything, or curtis taylor.

But NO MARK ROMAN.
Roman is like a cockroach when it coming to being a starter. You can't get rid of him. At least he looked good in Dallas. Lewis should start game 1.

Originally posted by TonyStarks:

Roman FTL.

Yup. hopefully Mays is still there when we pick or we trade up to get him.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Who else do we have at SS?

-9fA

serious?
Originally posted by E-49er:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

Roman FTL.

Yup. hopefully Mays is still there when we pick or we trade up to get him.

YES Taylor Mays is the next ronnie lott! hands down! savage! that will be his name on the back of his jersey: SAVAGE
Actually, Roman at SS isn't bad...gotta remember, with Goldson at FS, and ML potentially out, we need the experience in the DB. Starting Reggie Smith would be a mistake IMO...I like him at S, but let's face it, not much experience yet. I'd rather see him worked into more games...so he can gain a reasonable amount of PT before they throw him out there to start.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Actually, Roman at SS isn't bad...gotta remember, with Goldson at FS, and ML potentially out, we need the experience in the DB. Starting Reggie Smith would be a mistake IMO...I like him at S, but let's face it, not much experience yet. I'd rather see him worked into more games...so he can gain a reasonable amount of PT before they throw him out there to start.

This sounds good to me. Then maybe by a lil after midseason he will be able to start for us.
Share 49ersWebzone