There are 159 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Should Hill Really be our starter?

Should Hill Really be our starter?

Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by fan49:
He hasn't shown any inkling of being a starter all pre-season. This is not a thread about alex or davis being the starter. Simply' its about Hill not showing any sign of being an nfl starter. Last year he did go 7-3. I almost promise none of those teams were in the top 15 d. So share opinion if you like, but should shaun hill be our starter or are you nervous?

what rank was the Redskin's defense last year?

24

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2009&seasonType=PRE&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

ummmm....it is telling me they were ranked #4 in all the NFL.

also the Bills, Dolphins, Jets were ranked 14,15,16.

and I'm sure their ranks wouldn't have been better if they didn't have to play the Patriots 2 times that year.

This statement makes no sense at all. Should our defense be considered better than they were because we played Arizona twice, The Giants, Saints and Eagles? All of which averaged more points per game than New England. Oh yeah, we played New England as well.

By your logic. The Jets played Miami and Buffalo twice, both of which were in the bottom third in league scoring. So maybe they weren't as good as their defensive rating.
Originally posted by young9er:
Here's the most important stat you need to know:

Shaun Hill Turnovers = 0

For Christ's sake, do you guys even remember the last 4 years? Having a quaterback that doesn't single handedly LOOSE US THE GAME is in itself an improvement. I swore after JTO'fumbles I would never complain about the 49ers having a conservative QB who was smart with the football, even if our offense was mediocre as a result. Were not good enough to take risks and win games on superior talent. The only way were going to win 8+ games is to eliminate our mistakes and hopefully take advantage of other teams mistakes.

All the QB threads on here it's like if the guy doesn't throw a touchdown pass it's the end of the world, and if he throws 2 touchdowns he's the new Joe Montana.

No the more important stat is the he doesn't have a single TD drive.

TDs are worth more then INTs.

A QB can throw 3 picks and 1 TD and win a game. I'd rather have a QB who throws a pick or two, but still puts points on the board then a QB who throws no picks and puts up no TDs or just FGs.

[ Edited by linkboy on Aug 30, 2009 at 19:11:39 ]
  • Chief
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,889
He has thrown about 20 passes in preseason.


Look at his stats that matter and make your judgements Alex Smith lovers.
We need to calm down. Hill will be fine...he hasn't done anything in the regular season yet to make us think otherwise!
Originally posted by Chief:
He has thrown about 20 passes in preseason.


Look at his stats that matter and make your judgements Alex Smith lovers.

Hill's stats are mislead

Anyone who wants to use the "he wins -- that's all matters" argument can ask Trent Dilfer if you can touch his Super Bowl ring, and then tell the Niners they should've talked him out of retirment
Originally posted by fan49:
any way we look at it hills performance has been terrible. and the webzone has spoke acc. to the poll, based on his performance he has not solidified his spot in the eyes of the zone!

OH NOEZ tEH Wezbone HAZ SPOKNen

hahahaha.....ok fan49 if it makes you feel better....in the eyez of the webzone, Hill has not solidified his spot.........so tell me

now what?
Originally posted by Byisgod:
We need to calm down. Hill will be fine...he hasn't done anything in the regular season yet to make us think otherwise!

And he hasn't done anything in the preseason to make me thing that he can do things in the regular season.

I don't give a damn about last season, I care about what's happening right now. Last season has no bearing on his play (or anyone else for that matter) this season.

People keep throwing out the fact that its preseason. Guess what, opposing defenses are running vanilla defensive schemes. The fact that Hill is playing like crap against vanilla schemes doesn't bode well for regular season, when things are opened up.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by fan49:
any way we look at it hills performance has been terrible. and the webzone has spoke acc. to the poll, based on his performance he has not solidified his spot in the eyes of the zone!

OH NOEZ tEH Wezbone HAZ SPOKNen

hahahaha.....ok fan49 if it makes you feel better....in the eyez of the webzone, Hill has not solidified his spot.........so tell me

now what?

Ugh then i think he's implying we should be looking at somebody else as a Starter according the webzone.

[ Edited by aacadena on Aug 30, 2009 at 19:26:39 ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by linkboy:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by linkboy:
Originally posted by Method:

I say if Hill costs us the game against Arizona, we should be quick to pull him out because he will definitely cost us against a fierce Seattle defense.

Exactly and if we go down 0-2 in the division, we're done. In a division that's as close as the West is going to be, every single win counts.

So if any our QB's on the roster cost us a game, they should be pulled also???

Yes, they should. If both Hill and Smith suck it up and Davis has to be the starter, our season will be over anyways.

No, what he is saying is, if they do bad after ONE game, then he should be pulled. That is ridiculous, how would any offense develop any kind of chemistry if QB's are being pulled every other game??

Let's see, if everyone based their decisions on Linkboys theory, there would be NO Joe Montana, Steve Young, John Elway, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Terry Bradshaw, Troy Aikman, Bret Farve and a number of other excellent QB's in the league (past and present) .. BECAUSE they all stunk at one point or another!

They would have all been replaced after a couple of bad games!

[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Aug 30, 2009 at 19:43:46 ]
Originally posted by aacadena:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by fan49:
any way we look at it hills performance has been terrible. and the webzone has spoke acc. to the poll, based on his performance he has not solidified his spot in the eyes of the zone!

OH NOEZ tEH Wezbone HAZ SPOKNen

hahahaha.....ok fan49 if it makes you feel better....in the eyez of the webzone, Hill has not solidified his spot.........so tell me

now what?

Ugh then i think he's implying we should be looking at somebody else as a Starter according the webzone.

oooooook fine.....now what?
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by linkboy:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by linkboy:
Originally posted by Method:

I say if Hill costs us the game against Arizona, we should be quick to pull him out because he will definitely cost us against a fierce Seattle defense.

Exactly and if we go down 0-2 in the division, we're done. In a division that's as close as the West is going to be, every single win counts.

So if any our QB's on the roster cost us a game, they should be pulled also???

Yes, they should. If both Hill and Smith suck it up and Davis has to be the starter, our season will be over anyways.

No, what he is saying is, if they do bad after ONE game, then he should be pulled. That is ridiculous, how would any offense develop any kind of chemistry if QB's are being pulled every other game??

Let's see, if everyone based their decisions on Linkboys theory, there would be NO Joe Montana, Steve Young, John Elway, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and a number of other excellent QB's in the league .. BECAUSE they all stunk at one point or another!

They would have all been replaced after a couple of bad games!

Hey, Einstein, why don't you back to page 9 and read where I corrected myself instead of trying to correct me 5 hours after I posted it.

Oh and it wasn't my theory, its Method's. Learn to read properly, it helps.

Originally posted by linkboy:
Originally posted by Kolohe:


No, what he is saying is, if they do bad after ONE game, then he should be pulled. That is ridiculous, how would any offense develop any kind of chemistry if QB's are being pulled every other game??

In that case, no, that's just plain retarded.

However, if Hills stinking it up, we shouldn't do what Nolan did and wait until it was about 7 weeks to late to make a change.

Read post #125

[ Edited by linkboy on Aug 30, 2009 at 19:44:50 ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by BigMar:
Originally posted by BigMar:
Hill is our starter, so I support him.

However, I am concerned that our offense plays at a disadvantage as the oppossing defense's clearly recognize that Q.B. Hill due to his limited arm strength, simply cannot make all the throws to all parts of the field.

Therefore, defense's do not have to worry or game plan for throws to certain parts or depths of the field.... because Hill can't make them.

We have a starting Q.B. who has limitation on his passing skills due to his arm strength, just a fact.

Mike Martz knew this, Jimmy Raye now knows this.... and most scary is the defenses know this!

One more time...this!

this is a tired argument....Hill has shown he can be successful in Martz's offense and makes most of the pass need for a team to be successful.... defenses had a chance to adjust to Hill last year and they couldn't...when it counted, Hill still moved the ball on these NFL defenses....

again it is still preseason....so I'm not going to overreact that defenses have OMG figured Hill out.

we run the ball 2 straight times then on 3rd down we miss blocks......yes this has also happened to Alex....some are saying we are just making excuse for Hill....well there is a difference...

when Alex was finally "freed" as some were screaming for the team to do..... he still struggled more times than not...... Hill has shown that he can effectively pass on 1st or 2nd down.....and this is what I'm looking forward to in the regular season....

if the play calling doesn't change in the regular season....then we all can start to panic.

Hill hasn't done this with any consistency to this point this year. Also if it was just excuses for Smith, then why should it be any different for Hill? That's just BS, Hill hasn't had to deal with half of what Smith has had to. You do not even take into account how much better this team is than the teams Smith started on, but you want a pass for Hill because of play calling? Play calling were not what was making him throw those terrible passes. I am willing to wait till the real games start to see if this is just an aberration, but it is looking like a developing trend. If you want to complain about play calling, just remember that having a QB that struggles throwing a decent deep ball limits the plays that can be called.
Sorry if that wasn't your idea dude, but who's ever it is ... better get yer head out of the smelling salts and take a prozac or something!

Read all those pages? Nah! Better to have fuggled up and be told off! LOL!
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by BigMar:
Originally posted by BigMar:
Hill is our starter, so I support him.

However, I am concerned that our offense plays at a disadvantage as the oppossing defense's clearly recognize that Q.B. Hill due to his limited arm strength, simply cannot make all the throws to all parts of the field.

Therefore, defense's do not have to worry or game plan for throws to certain parts or depths of the field.... because Hill can't make them.

We have a starting Q.B. who has limitation on his passing skills due to his arm strength, just a fact.

Mike Martz knew this, Jimmy Raye now knows this.... and most scary is the defenses know this!

One more time...this!

this is a tired argument....Hill has shown he can be successful in Martz's offense and makes most of the pass need for a team to be successful.... defenses had a chance to adjust to Hill last year and they couldn't...when it counted, Hill still moved the ball on these NFL defenses....

again it is still preseason....so I'm not going to overreact that defenses have OMG figured Hill out.

we run the ball 2 straight times then on 3rd down we miss blocks......yes this has also happened to Alex....some are saying we are just making excuse for Hill....well there is a difference...

when Alex was finally "freed" as some were screaming for the team to do..... he still struggled more times than not...... Hill has shown that he can effectively pass on 1st or 2nd down.....and this is what I'm looking forward to in the regular season....

if the play calling doesn't change in the regular season....then we all can start to panic.

Hill hasn't done this with any consistency to this point this year. Also if it was just excuses for Smith, then why should it be any different for Hill? That's just BS, Hill hasn't had to deal with half of what Smith has had to. You do not even take into account how much better this team is than the teams Smith started on, but you want a pass for Hill because of play calling? Play calling were not what was making him throw those terrible passes. I am willing to wait till the real games start to see if this is just an aberration, but it is looking like a developing trend. If you want to complain about play calling, just remember that having a QB that struggles throwing a decent deep ball limits the plays that can be called.

lets talk about Alex for a second.....lot of his homers make it seem like he is GREAT at throwing the deep ball.....he has not attempted to throw a deep ball all preseason....why?....is it because he is a "QB that struggles throwing a decent deep ball which limits the plays that can be called"?

also watching yesterdays game....we moved the ball with Hill back there...it wasn't a coincidence that our drives stalled on the downs we decided to pull out the wild tazer....

again though, yes it is just preseason so lets see how the season goes.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by BigMar:
Originally posted by BigMar:
Hill is our starter, so I support him.

However, I am concerned that our offense plays at a disadvantage as the oppossing defense's clearly recognize that Q.B. Hill due to his limited arm strength, simply cannot make all the throws to all parts of the field.

Therefore, defense's do not have to worry or game plan for throws to certain parts or depths of the field.... because Hill can't make them.

We have a starting Q.B. who has limitation on his passing skills due to his arm strength, just a fact.

Mike Martz knew this, Jimmy Raye now knows this.... and most scary is the defenses know this!

One more time...this!

this is a tired argument....Hill has shown he can be successful in Martz's offense and makes most of the pass need for a team to be successful.... defenses had a chance to adjust to Hill last year and they couldn't...when it counted, Hill still moved the ball on these NFL defenses....

again it is still preseason....so I'm not going to overreact that defenses have OMG figured Hill out.

we run the ball 2 straight times then on 3rd down we miss blocks......yes this has also happened to Alex....some are saying we are just making excuse for Hill....well there is a difference...

when Alex was finally "freed" as some were screaming for the team to do..... he still struggled more times than not...... Hill has shown that he can effectively pass on 1st or 2nd down.....and this is what I'm looking forward to in the regular season....

if the play calling doesn't change in the regular season....then we all can start to panic.

Hill hasn't done this with any consistency to this point this year. Also if it was just excuses for Smith, then why should it be any different for Hill? That's just BS, Hill hasn't had to deal with half of what Smith has had to. You do not even take into account how much better this team is than the teams Smith started on, but you want a pass for Hill because of play calling? Play calling were not what was making him throw those terrible passes. I am willing to wait till the real games start to see if this is just an aberration, but it is looking like a developing trend. If you want to complain about play calling, just remember that having a QB that struggles throwing a decent deep ball limits the plays that can be called.

lets talk about Alex for a second.....lot of his homers make it seem like he is GREAT at throwing the deep ball.....he has not attempted to throw a deep ball all preseason....why?....is it because he is a "QB that struggles throwing a decent deep ball which limits the plays that can be called"?

also watching yesterdays game....we moved the ball with Hill back there...it wasn't a coincidence that our drives stalled on the downs we decided to pull out the wild tazer....

again though, yes it is just preseason so lets see how the season goes.

We were moving the ball due to the running game, the minute Hill had to start throwing the ball, everything went to crap.

Not one of his scoring drives has ended in a TD. That's a major thing to be worried about. Every time he gets inside of the 30, his drives stall and Nedney (or Romeo) had to come out (this goes for all 3 games).