LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 294 users in the forums

Should Hill Really be our starter?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should Hill Really be our starter?

Of all the options we have, yes. Hopefully he can put it together in the next 2 weeks, because the 1st game of the season, against Arizona, is a MUST win.
Originally posted by excelsior:
Someone just posted "damn the organization for not drafting a franchise QB." Well, I say "damn the organization for not building a superior OL." Then we would see what we have in our QBs. How much better they would perform is hard to say, but I venture to guess they would have performed better.

Because our line is not good at pass protection, we are always evaluating our QBs from the point of view of who operates the best in chaos. What about who can excell when he has time? We never ask that question because we rarely see our QBs have time.

Damn good point.

Ask Tom Brady after the Super Bowl against the Giants how important an o-line is. Our line has been terrible at pass blocking for years.
Originally posted by linkboy:
Originally posted by excelsior:
Someone just posted "damn the organization for not drafting a franchise QB." Well, I say "damn the organization for not building a superior OL." Then we would see what we have in our QBs. How much better they would perform is hard to say, but I venture to guess they would have performed better.

Because our line is not good at pass protection, we are always evaluating our QBs from the point of view of who operates the best in chaos. What about who can excell when he has time? We never ask that question because we rarely see our QBs have time.

Damn good point.

Ask Tom Brady after the Super Bowl against the Giants how important an o-line is. Our line has been terrible at pass blocking for years.

All excellent points but remember Snyder has not played since the first game and Simms is a shakey backup at the least. And guys I hate to break it to all of you as we are all frustrated with what looks to be a very mediocre team, I keep hearing the so called experts say we will be 6-10 or 7-9 at best, but it is what it is as of now! Even if we could trade for a QB, OL, and DL, who do we have to offer, and who is out there anyway? I don't want to trade our first round picks next year as they could be in a very good area to get us the players we all crave, if they don't screw it up? We unfortunately just have to suck it up as Fans and hope for the best? I will have faith and hope it works out!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Method:

I say if Hill costs us the game against Arizona, we should be quick to pull him out because he will definitely cost us against a fierce Seattle defense.

Exactly and if we go down 0-2 in the division, we're done. In a division that's as close as the West is going to be, every single win counts.

So if any our QB's on the roster cost us a game, they should be pulled also???

Yes, they should. If both Hill and Smith suck it up and Davis has to be the starter, our season will be over anyways.

No, what he is saying is, if they do bad after ONE game, then he should be pulled. That is ridiculous, how would any offense develop any kind of chemistry if QB's are being pulled every other game??
im watching the game again and hill's throws look so funny
Originally posted by Kolohe:

No, what he is saying is, if they do bad after ONE game, then he should be pulled. That is ridiculous, how would any offense develop any kind of chemistry if QB's are being pulled every other game??

In that case, no, that's just plain retarded.

However, if Hills stinking it up, we shouldn't do what Nolan did and wait until it was about 7 weeks to late to make a change.
after all the months of "Hill should start! he deserves it!" we now get, "should he really be starting?"

lets see how he does when the games count.
Originally posted by eac49er23:

ya and so do Alex's 30 yards over the receivers head
  • rob28
  • Veteran

im watching too and the first 2 incomplete passes, the o-line gave him no time. heitman got beat by ratlif
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by fan49:
He hasn't shown any inkling of being a starter all pre-season. This is not a thread about alex or davis being the starter. Simply' its about Hill not showing any sign of being an nfl starter. Last year he did go 7-3. I almost promise none of those teams were in the top 15 d. So share opinion if you like, but should shaun hill be our starter or are you nervous?

what rank was the Redskin's defense last year?

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2009&seasonType=PRE&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

try 4th

Originally posted by rob28:

im watching too and the first 2 incomplete passes, the o-line gave him no time. heitman got beat by ratlif

So does the same apply to Smith.
  • rob28
  • Veteran
yes the same applies to smith if the o-line cant protect
Every post turns into a how much we hate Alex Smith thread!
So who should be our starter, neither QB has looked impressive, Davis, against 3rd string / guys getting cut? I don't think so.

Alex and Shaun, when you compare the way they've been passing they both even out, but at least Shaun can bring better leadership, toughness, and a better understanding of the game.

Trade for a QB, now? No way, we would be better off with Davis starting if that was the case...yes Shaun Hill should be starter, for at least the first 3-4 games of the season, if the fails, hand it off to Alex, and so on...
Originally posted by rob28:
yes the same applies to smith if the o-line cant protect

At least you're being consistent, a lot of people aren't.
Share 49ersWebzone