LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 207 users in the forums

Did Nate Davis Just Win A Roster Spot? (Poll, Please don't merge)

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Did Nate Davis Just Win A Roster Spot? (Poll, Please don't merge)

Originally posted by niners94:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
I don't think any QB on our roster would look good w/our starters, the way our 1st string OL played against their 1st string DL.

If the Pats could develop Brady for a year I think Davis can learn the game and play book in depth for a year.

part of the reason Davis looks so good is because our last string O-line has been dominating our opponents last string d-line.

I like his decision making, but I really believe especially with his learning disability he needs to be developed a year.

That certainly wasn't the case versus Dallas.

Nor was it the case against Oakland. Nate Davis was under pressure often and was able to roll out and locate a target instead of just deciding to throw it away like Alex Smith does.
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by Canadian49er:
I'm fairly confident that Alex Smith will be our starter by the bye week. I really don't see how Hill has "commanded" the offense better then Alex and as far as skill goes...it's not even close.

Alex really needs to start playing

I'll say this again.. If Shaun Hill gets pulled due to bad play, our season is f*cked. You're fooling yourselves if you think Alex Smith is going to come in and turn things around. I want him to succeed too, but lets take the homer goggles off and look at reality. Smith has done nothing to ever prove to be a better option than Hill. If Hill is struggling, there's a 95% chance Alex Smith will struggle just as much, if not more.

Hill getting yanked means the toilet has been flushed on our season. I know that's not what you guys want to hear, but that's the truth.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
I'm fairly confident that Alex Smith will be our starter by the bye week. I really don't see how Hill has "commanded" the offense better then Alex and as far as skill goes...it's not even close.

I'll say this again.. If Shaun Hill gets pulled due to bad play, our season is f*cked. You're fooling yourselves if you think Alex Smith is going to come in and turn things around. I want him to succeed too, but lets take the homer goggles off and look at reality. Smith has done nothing to ever prove to be a better option than Hill. If Hill is struggling, there's a 95% chance Alex Smith will struggle just as much, if not more.

Hill getting yanked means the toilet has been flushed on our season. I know that's not what you guys want to hear, but that's the truth.

Alex this year looked just as bad, if not worse than Hill did last year in preseason.

It's best for Alex to just sit back, know the playbook in and out and continue to get his reps as the backup.

-9fA
Originally posted by BMore9ersfan:
People keep talking abut Nate's learning disability. It should be noted that dyslexic people and those with other learning disabilities are not necessarily less intelligent then those with out said disabilities. The problem is that their brains process information differently. Nate has stated several times that he is a visual learning. Give him a book of words and he has a problem processing the information. Give him a book of pictures or diagrams (NFL Playbook) and he's fine. Many teams were afraid to draft the guy because of his learning issues and the unorthodox throwing mechanics, i.e. not holding the ball by the laces. The way I see it is that their loss is our gain. I'm not ready to crown him a Tom Brady type find, but the kid looks to have the stuff so far. If coached correctly, Nate shouldn't have anymore problems picking up the offense than anyone else.

I think we should sit him this year, allow him to digest some of the things that are different from college and slowly ease him in. If we're winning big (which probably won't happen often, if at all this year) I say we should put him in and let him get some experience. If we're getting blown out, put him in. What would we have to lose? Allow him to play a little bit because I think the guy can be a starting QB - and a good one - in as little as 1-2 years from now as long as they handle him correctly. Give him some targets (hopefully Morgan will continue to get better and Crabtree can make an impact by next season) and an O-Line that can give him a little time, he will be fine.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by 49erRider:

Alex this year looked just as bad, if not worse than Hill did last year in preseason.

It's best for Alex to just sit back, know the playbook in and out and continue to get his reps as the backup.

-9fA

I agree. People are acting like Alex Smith has proven to be superior to Hill now that Hill has had a few poor preseason peformances, which we all know is BS. Shaun Hill getting pulled would NOT be a good thing for this team no matter how you look at it. Hill gives us the best chance to win, so if he can't win, then we're screwed. Period. Smith still has time to improve, but so far he has proven to be no better than Hill at this point so putting him in the starting lineup would not be beneficial to us.
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Not sure if Davis is the QB of the present just yet, but he could very well be the QB of the future.

Give that man a cigar.

NO WAY do Singletary and Raye start Nate Davis. Against guys who in a few weeks will be back at their day jobs unloading trucks, he's terrific. But do we really want to feed him a steady diet of first-team defenses? Nope. That could really set back his development.

I haven't seen enough of Huard to send him on his way yet, but we're starting to see that despite being a nice guy, Shaun Hill is not a playmaker. He's a good number#2, but he's not a lead dog.

Smith? I'm sorry his career has been such a disappointment, but I'm not going to be sentimental about his either. He needs to go somewhere else as Mad Mike Martz suggested. This team no longer has the time to wait on him to hit his stride.

I'd start Hill, keep Davis and flip a coin between cutting Smith or Huard and Davis is the third stringer between whomever stays.

And I'm betting Raye and Singletary already have made up their minds.
Nate had a spot on this team all along...
Nate the GREAT
Originally posted by 49ERGUY:
I would like to point out to all of those out there who like to point to the fact that Davis is playing against third stringers ...... that here we have a rookie who got very few reps during training camp while Hill and Smith recieved most of the reps. I wouldn't expect that a rookie would be looking so comfortable in the pocket and making such nice reads and then following through with such nice accurate strikes. I am not advocating that he is ready right now but the coaches should be working intensly to get him well versed with this offense ....... because it is slightly possible that he could handle more than we think earlier than we think.

Very interesting point. I wouldn't mind seeing him get into the San Diego game a bit earlier if Smith isn't able to go with his thumb. If he moves the offense like this again against the San Diego team with the same poise and accuracy then I might start to at least agree that he should be given a crash course on the offense.
You could be right with your last point about it being at least slightly possible that that Davis could handle more earlier than we think but many here believe we rushed Smith along too quickly and that left a bad taste.

Lets see what he does against San Diego next.
[ Edited by 49ERwhiner on Aug 30, 2009 at 3:50 AM ]
I voted Nate in Damon out. However, if I had my way I would keep both Nate and Damon and let the loser of Smith and Hill walk this being Alex in this case. During the off season everything was geared toward these two QB's. They got all the snaps and all of the attention. For them to come out this preseason and look like this it shows their real lack of talent. I know most would say Nate has played against third and fourth stringers but, he has been prepared and he shows calmness and maturity; can't say the same for Alex. Damon had had experience and I would feel comfortable giving him the reigns in an emergency situation seeing we are a predominately running team. Just my two cents ..

Originally posted by kelpie70:
I voted Nate in Damon out. However, if I had my way I would keep both Nate and Damon and let the loser of Smith and Hill walk this being Alex in this case. During the off season everything was geared toward these two QB's. They got all the snaps and all of the attention. For them to come out this preseason and look like this it shows their real lack of talent. I know most would say Nate has played against third and fourth stringers but, he has been prepared and he shows calmness and maturity; can't say the same for Alex. Damon had had experience and I would feel comfortable giving him the reigns in an emergency situation seeing we are a predominately running team. Just my two cents ..

I would definitely get rid of Smith. What a roster spot waste he is. Keep Hill,Huard, and davis
  • CoffeeMachine
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by jogr49:
I would definitely get rid of Smith. What a roster spot waste he is. Keep Hill,Huard, and davis

Huard hasn't done anything impressive in the pre-season. It would be a waste to keep him. It's pretty bad if even the Dolphins don't want you.
I think Nate Davis will definetly make the 53 man roster & looks like he could be something special.
Its easy to see that Nate has the best arm strength of any QB on our roster, he also seems to be the only QB that we have that puts the ball into position so the WR's can catch in stride. Im not saying we should start him week one but I would like to see what he can do with the first team offense.
Cut Smith to make room, Alex need a change of scenery!
Share 49ersWebzone